Thursday, April 21, 2022

The Rose

 

I'd like to begin by saying this post almost didn't happen.  About 11 p.m. Tuesday night, my computer died.  My wonderful computer I am so proud of.  I tried everything I knew, but the screen was frozen, the mouse didn't run around the screen, and the keyboard would come out of hibernation mode, but nothing happened.

I spent the entire day and most of the evening on Wednesday offline.  I finally figured out the problem about 9:45.  What you see below is what I was able to create, scan, and publish before midnight.  Seems the "wee" one, aka Squiggles, had been playing around behind the tower and had knocked a cable loose.  

In the meantime, I spent the rest of the day outside moving messes in the garden, planting veggies and flowers, and tearing out a tree in my front yard.  I will show photos tomorrow, because I didn't have time to take them today (Wednesday).  

For Thursday, I am once again joining Alison, aka Craftytrog, our host this month at Art Journal Journey, with a song for her Play it again, Sam theme.

This is apparently a famous movie as well as a song by the same name.

I hope you can read the lyrics, 

but I will share them again at the end of the post.

Once back online, I copied the lyrics to a used file folder, then added the staffs I found in a book of stencils.  Finally I added the rose napkin I fussy cut.  To add insult to injury to this day from Hades, I broke my fussy cutting scissors and the only other ones I have just chewed away at the roses. 
 
The Rose
 
Some say, "Love, it is a river
That drowns the tender reed"
Some say, "Love, it is a razor
That leaves your soul to bleed"

Some say, "Love, it is a a hunger
An endless aching need"
I say, "Love, it is a flower
And you it's only seed"

It's the heart that fears breaking
That never learns to dance
It's the dream, afraid of waking
That never takes the chance

It's the one, who won't be taken
Who can not seem to give
And the soul afraid of dying
That never learns to live

When the night has been too lonely
And the road has been too long
And you think that love is only
For the lucky and the strong

Just remember in the winter
Far beneath the bitter snows
Life's the seed, that with the sun's love
In the spring becomes the rose 

Although I have never seen this movie which includes the title song, it is apparently based on the life of Janis Joplin.  Bette Midler is The Rose, a rock star who has a drug and alcohol problem and is controlled by her ruthless and greedy manager.  Her one desire is to return to her hometown and play a concert there.  Lots of interesting things occur as she gets closer to her hometown.  She finally gets on stage, sings her signature song, The Rose, then collapses and dies of an overdose.
 
I hope your day was less stressful than mine (and apparently Rose's last day).  This is Day 21 of 22 and I recycled a used file folder and a portion of the napkin.  The gel pen was used, as was the stencil.

Thanks so very much for joining Bleubeard and me today.  We hope to also see you at Art Journal Journey with your own Play it again, Sam journal art.


14 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Sorry, but you made me laugh - which is good and OK as you got your PC back!!!
Year 2000. Ingo said: Bring your diploma onto the PC.
Never been at "a PC". He explained shortly and went to work. When I needed to go online his Grandma, where we lived, could not use the phone and she thought this whole internet is dubious and the police might come any minute. Stress!
I tried my best when suddenly the whole thing died.
PANIC!!!! Not my PC, but Ingo´s ahhhhh.
I was devastated.
Ingo came back and pushed the on-button.
Problem solved. In these 5 hours I grew grey hair (kidding).
Weeee. what would be do these days without PC/internet?!

Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad (and grateful) that you got your PC back. You have been busy too. Looking forward to seeing/hearing more.

My name is Erika. said...

The Rose is a good movie. Bette Midler did a good job as Janis Joplin. Of course I haven't seen this film in ages. It's a good pick for Alison's challenge. And you must have found a staff stencil. I like how you used it on your page. I hope all is well with you and you're getting ready to celebrate your birthday. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

Cats... hmmm... Always a surprise waiting lol I'm glad it ended up being an easy fix.

Christine said...

Good for you fixing your computer! Lovely page.

Sharon Madson said...

I am glad you got your computer up and running again, but so sorry for your stressful day! I have heard of Janis Joplin and Bette Midler, of course, but never the movie or song. Thanks for sharing, Elizabeth. Happy almost Birthday, if I don’t get back here on your real birthday! Big hugs!-

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I have always loved that song. So beautiful. And your presentation is beautiful. I have a bit of a concern, though. I've been preoccupied with a move coming up, and so I didn't read blogs or post for a while. But I see in addition to The Rose, you have a post on Doggie In the Window. Have you checked out the copyright situation. If it is not in public domain, and the copyright is still in effect, you could end up paying a huge fine unless you receive permission from whoever has the copyright. Theoretically you can write the title, but not more than three words from the lyrics. Please check it out. (I learned this from a published writer at a writer's event.)

I'm glad you got your PC working again.

Jeanie said...

Good grief! I think you've had more trouble than anyone between the computer or power failures. Well done on getting a post up and done! Am I right in your having a birthday tomorrow? I hope it's very happy!

DVArtist said...

Glad the PC got working again. A freeze can be upsetting. Is it your birthday? I remember ours was close together. Have a lovely day.

Rita said...

I remember Janis and the movie. I recall the movie being good but it was so long ago now. We lost Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, and Jimi Hendrix in a short time back then. Such a waste. :(

Glad you figured out it was a cat accident with the computer! :)

Let's Art Journal said...

So glad that you got your computer working again! I bet your garden is looking so tidy after all your hard work and you used that napkin so beautifully on your page - perfect 😀. Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

jinxxxygirl said...

I have never seen the movie but have always loved that song.. Glad your up and running again!! Hugs! deb

craftytrog said...

I'm so glad your PC is back Elizabeth, what a nightmare! And then to break your scissors too!
Your page looks wonderful, although I'm not sure I know the song or the film.
Alison

Meggymay said...

This is a new film and song for me, I will add it to a growing list of things to look out for. A fabulous page Elizabeth, I loved your roses.
Good news as well that you found out what was going on with your computer problems.
Have a good rest of the week.
Yvonne xx