Wednesday, April 27, 2022

No Bananas

 

Today is Kathy's Food Wednesday.  It's where we share anything food related.

It's also a great time to share my penultimate journal page by joining Alison, aka Craftytrog, our host  at Art Journal Journey, with a song for her Play it again, Sam theme. 
 
 One nice thing about this song, I don't have to worry about copyright infringement.

We may not have bananas, but we have lots of avocados.

We also have a watermelon.

The song is called "Yes, we have no bananas."  It was published in 1923 and became a big hit that year.  It once again gained prominence in the 1930s because there was a world wide banana crisis where there were no bananas for several years.  During WWII, it was again sung and grocers in the UK put signs in their windows cheering the war effort when the UK banned bananas for five years.  It also became a popular phrase in literature and film during the 1930s and 40s.  
 
I began this page by computer generating the words minus the bananas, which I stamped in place.  I then added the words to the vintage sheet music.  I've been saving avocado stickers for quite awhile, and I love how very different some of them are, even though they all display the same 4046 on their stickers.

Thanks ever so much for joining Bleubeard and me today at both Kathy's Food Wednesday with a food related post, and Alison at Art Journal Journey with your own Play it again, Sam journal art.  There's still time to join this fun theme.
 
 
 

23 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

West Germans put bananas under the Trabi´s (East German cars)´s wipers as welcome gift to join us, to be free. And chocolate.
And I could even tell a melon-story.
Will we some day do that with sunflowers?

Valerie-Jael said...

I love bananas, but mustn't eat too many because they contain a lot of potassium, which can cause heart problems. Your page is beautiful, and I know that song from my childhood. Have a great day, take care, hugs to you and the boys! Valerie

Valerie-Jael said...

I left a comment and it dispappeared again!

kathyinozarks said...

I remember this song as a kid, I love this page Elizabeth, and very fun for Food Wednesdays too Thanks for sharing with us-hugs

Elephant's Child said...

When my mother and brothers emigrated to Australia in the early 1950s they were blown away to see bananas on public display instead of being hidden under the counter. I too remember that song - and am surprised it is that old.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a brilliant page Elizabeth! I have a feeling that song will keep coming back to me during today! Hugs, Chrisx

Neet said...

You are the only person I know who saves so many avocado (or anything else) stickers. Shows it has paid off though and you have been able to use them in your journal page.
I well remember the song, well two lines of it anyway so it was good to read your write up.
Take care
Hugs, Neet xxx

CJ Kennedy said...

When I saw your blog title, that tune immediately went through my head. I never knew the origin of the song so that bit of historical trivia was fascinating.

Mae Travels said...

I always associated the song with my aunt and uncle who were hip teenagers when it was popular.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

That's a fascinating story behind bananas. We may go into a no bananas again time because there is a fungus destroying the type we now eat. That happened to the first kind of banana so that was probably when there wasn't any around for those years. I know they are trying to find a replacement banana now before they go extinct. There are many types of bananas, but only so many are decent to eat. OK, enough of my babble. That is a fun page with all your avocado stickers (much better than a banana). Hope your week is going well. Hugs-Erika

Jenn Jilks said...

I love that song!

jinxxxygirl said...

I do not remember this song Elizabeth! But i love what you've done with the avocado stickers..You've inspired me to save my banana stickers!! Happy Food Wednesday! Hugs! deb

Christine said...

It might still get delivered Valerie, let's hope!

Christine said...

Lovely page that celebrates bananas on Food Wednesday Elizabeth!

Rita said...

I remember that song from long ago. Funny page. :)

Rain said...

What an original idea for Food Wednesdays!! I remember that song Elizabeth! ☺☺

DVArtist said...

My sibs and I use to dance around and sing that song. Have a lovely day today.

Divers and Sundry said...

Fun lol I've forgotten how I first came across that song, but I remember getting a kick out of it.

Carola Bartz said...

Soon they may sing "no avocados", at least if they're from Mexico. What a fun page, Elizabeth!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Our Walmart was completely out of bananas this week. No idea why, but I miss them!

Linda said...

Ah, I know that song. It is amusing. I was surprised to read that you collected stickers from avocados because I never would think to do something like that.

craftytrog said...

I know that jolly song Elizabeth. I love the fun page you created with the avocado and melon stickers, a great bit of recycling.
Another fab page for my AJJ theme!
Hugs,
Alison

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a fun song, I remember it well 😀. Thanks for the smiles! Hugs Jo x