Monday, March 21, 2022

T Stands For Signs of the Times

 

At the first of the month, I was going through my files to find something for a second look that would relate to spring.  What I found was a post that nearly crushed me.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjPhdz9ZB1IXEcvwg0LhdpYsY8QfTJflGeNxu3YH-I5yCZslNevZOK-ultQF-E0ymM3WLHA1KOVby5bb6JgtUWz2qDF2WZXbbsqkMX9hb3eLZayCDvaE9ACvyDK9_BXi4fjqPqM/s1600/13.JPG I discovered a post that I had written for T Tuesday in 2014.  I was showing the places that my friend Sally and I had visited in a single month.  Back then it was fun to eat out and we sometimes had a coupon due to Sally buying the Entertainment Book (which I believe was nationwide, but only in the states and maybe in Canada).  This was one of several times we ate at a restaurant called Bishops.  

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh_WfSeFJtU9-kvlodjJFuaiMNg31JtjgLaVkAYjdPezphFx-Rx-vpkleQIxeVRT5AEfwdhfZl3nv0W2kh1f5_1ndwkBpXLzmtRQOfeXcXYlNq9yW0K3K8CSco0fkTc3n4WtM7l/s1600/15.JPG Some of you will remember this was a buffet, but not a normal buffet.  Unlike other buffets, this one served you cafeteria style, but you could go back as often as you like, just like regular buffets.  The only difference was, the person behind the counter gave you a specific portion.  If you wanted two servings, you had to go back through the line to get it, not a problem if the line wasn't long.

You might have guessed it.  Bishop's is no more.

Since the trees were still budding, I could tell it was early spring when Sally and I went to DeFazio's, a wonderful Italian restaurant near our homes.

Many of you have seen us go to DeFazio's.  Some may even remember they spent a fortune a couple of years ago completely remodeling their dining area.  New floors, new booths and tables, new menus, and new art.  After Covid 19 hit, they created a smaller menu and allowed only one person inside to pick up their to-go orders.  There was no in house eating.  None of that mattered.

Sad to say, but DeFazio's is no longer in business.
 

Even though I took no photos inside, Sally and I stopped at Quiznos one day for Subs.  Both Sally and I were disappointed, so we each took most of our sandwiches home.  

You guessed it!  Even the fast food restaurants have taken a hit.

Sally and I also went to a buffet we loved, named Sweet Basil.

The food was always good, and the buffet was to die for.  Then the unthinkable happened.

A fire caused extensive damage to Sweet Basil, forcing them to close. A year later, they remodeled and were once again open for business.
 
Unfortunately, during that time, the restaurant changed ownership and the Sweet Basil we loved in the past now put a sour taste in our mouths.  The ambience was totally destroyed and was gray and sterile.  The food was of poor quality, the buffet was small and you had to make room for the servers as they headed to the kitchen to pick up ala carte orders.   Their 4 and 5 star reviews were now replaced with 0 and 1 stars.  I guess they are still in business, but I know I will never go back.  The staff was rude and uncaring, the food was dismal and overcooked, the salad was head lettuce and carrots that reminded me of bag lettuce I see at the grocery store.

Are restaurants thriving, hanging on, or have they gone out of business for reasons too numerous to list in your city or town?  Please share your experiences, even if you are still using take out only.
 
What tales do you have to tell this Tuesday?  Will it be about a favorite restaurant, food and drink, a favorite mug or cup, art, scrapbooking, sewing, something digital, card making, flowers in the garden, or something folksy where you invite us into your home?  Regardless, please join us by linking below.  Bleubeard and I will gladly visit, as will other T participants.
  





26 thoughtful remarks:

Lisca said...

How terribly sad, that those restaurants have had to shut and are now out of business.
Fortunately here, where the climate is different and people sit outside, most restaurants are still in business. I don't know of any that have had to shut. I don't know about the big cities, but here in the small towns all the bars and restaurants we know are still doing ok. At the strictest of lockdowns, most had to close or do a take-away service. But that didn't last long in our country.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

Mae Travels said...

Today I ate at a wonderful restaurant, and just blogged it for your Tuesday ( with drinks)! I hope your situation turns around soon.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Carola Bartz said...

Unfortunately COVID hurt quite some businesses. Here, some restaurants went out of business, but most of them endured. Maybe this is because of our good weather, because as soon as it was possible people were dining outside there (which took a while since we had a very severe lockdown here). One of our busiest streets was closed and became a dining area for the restaurants in that area. I'm not sure whether it still is like this since I am never downtown. I have dined in a restaurant only twice during the beginning of the pandemic, once on the patio and once right next to big open windows. I still don't feel like eating in a restaurant which by the way I didn't do often before the pandemic either. We get take out from our favorite restaurants every now and then, but not very often.

Linda Kunsman said...

Truly sad to see. We have SO many restaurants- from fast food, to local, to upscale to ethnic...including bakeries, breakfast places, diners, coffee houses, ice cream parlors, etc. We are fortunate to have it all. However, with so many places readily available of course some have had to close during the last few years. And yes, some have also lost their patrons and ratings due to either lesser service or lesser quality.
That said, the places that have typically been stand outs and popular in our area have continued to thrive and do well.
Now I think I need to get out again and support someone as it's been quite awhile since hubby and I ate out anywhere...
happy T day!

Kate Yetter said...

Yes, so many restaurants have gone under since COVID hit. We live in a very small rural community, and I am surprised that most of our restaurants with the exception of 2 have stayed open and seem to be thriving from what I can tell.
Hope you find some new places to frequent that are up to your taste.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Sharon Madson said...

I had scheduled my post foe 4:30 today then forgot to link it! After supper, I remembered! LOL. I miss Bishops. Loved the large fireplace! We also liked Sweet Basil, but it is closed. Quiznos is a favorite of mine, but not My hubby. Our all time favorite was Town & Country! My dad and new hubby at the time used to meet there for lunch, that is how long they had been open, because we have been married over 55 years! They closed down during Covid. I hope we both can get new favorites. Happy T day, Elizabeth.

kathyinozarks said...

Geeze I need to stop linking up when I am tired-I put in my email again-I guess that is automatic in my head-sorry about that.
it is very sad-there must be 100's of thousands of local restaurants gone do to the strict mandates of covid. we have lost so many local and family run business's here in the states that will be years coming back if at all
Happy T Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

The restaurants I like are still in business, but I bet things have been tough. Of course in my area there are not a huge lot of choices of places to go (without driving a distance), so that probably helps them. Plus I live in an area of the state (this is not true for the whole state) where lots of people didn't buy into the mask, stay home and safe idea. It sounds like your area was hit hard, because I can't believe these are the only restaurants in Wichita that closed. But it is too bad to lose places you enjoy going. This was an interesting post, although it sad to hear of places closing down. Have a great T day. hugs-Erika

Cloudia said...

Yes, Honolulu has lost some favorites. But many have hung on and now visitors are back. So it looks like our restaurants should do okay. When I will be ready to eat inside is a whole other question! Fortunately, living in Hawaii there are many outdoor opportunities to socialize. Stay safe honey!

Elephant's Child said...

Some restaurants are hanging on. Many are not. I cannot remember when I last ate in one though. Or even ordered take away.

Iris Flavia said...

We have (had?) those books, too. But since Ingo cannot eat out much due to his health...So sad, I hope those restaurants can re-open soon.
But really, Sweet Basil really makes no sense to me! Why did the new owners loose such a good reputation, why being rude, if you don´t like that job, look for something else (hahaha, easily said).
Even if I have a bad day, as everybody once in a while, I would never give that to a customer.

Same here, many have closed. Not only restaurants, all kids of shops, even two big icons - so many jobs lost. The face of the city has changed...
And now with the war... I see even darker times.
You think twice, if you drive somewhere, everything will get more expensive plus we have all the refugees.

Nancy Chan said...

So sad that many businesses everywhere have been affected by the pandemic. It is the same here. Some of our favourite places were no more and many new ones have sprouted. We are now allowed to dine in. Many businesses are picking up but not as good as before the pandemic. People are still scared because of the high numbers of covid cases.

CJ Kennedy said...

So sad that so many businesses took a hit during the pandemic. Most of the restaurants we eat at have thankfully stayed in business. Sadly, the Perkins restaurant we ate at when visiting the Eldest closed before the pandemic. Someone else bought the restaurant to open a new restaurant, but shortly after acquiring the building, the building caught fire and burned to the ground. No foul play. The owner couldn't rebuild and the lot is still empty.

Let's Art Journal said...

So sad to see so many restaurants gone. We have had more of a surge in takeaway food since Covid so have seen more takeaways opening 😀. Take care and Happy T Tuesday! Hugs Jo x

Jackie McGuinness said...

We have seen the same impact here on restaurants. But more so on retail stores as people shop online. But people are resilient so other places are opening up in their stead.
PS I remember those 2 for 1 entertainment books, wonder if they are still in business?

Divers and Sundry said...

Restaurants here have taken a hit, too, but many have survived. I miss lunches out!

Happy T Tuesday

DVArtist said...

Covid hit a lot of business.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

there was a Chinese restaurant here that closed that had THE BEST service, menu, pricing etc. The entire city was heartbroken when they announced their closure :(

there was a farm market here that took a hit as well, and that was a sad sad day when they announced they were closing, not just for the season, but for good ~~~~

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is so sad to see! A lot of food places here did take aways during COVID so most have survived (although there have been temporary closures due to staff illnesses and not being able to employ staff) A lot of food places now have more outdoor seating -some with overhead coverings. A lot of retail shops have closed down here - including three craft shops that we used to go to. I am having to use my phone again to comment - locked out with a read only box! Hugs, Chrisx

Sandra Cox said...

I'm sorry about Sweet Basil. It's always sad to lose a favorite spot. We aren't really going out enough for me to have anything to add.
Take special care, my friend.

aussie aNNie said...

Interesting post. x

Valerie-Jael said...

Many restaurants and shops have closed down in the past 2 years, so sad. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie
Thanks for linking me!

craftytrog said...

It's very sad for all those lost businesses. We didn't eat out a lot before covid struck, even less now.

Jeanie said...

I don't miss eating out much. I miss more the companionship of dining out. We've lost a few here, though. For the most part, they are ones that I wouldn't go to, but it was still someone's job.

Lowcarb team member said...

Yes, unfortunately Covid has resulted in a number of businesses closing.

All the best Jan

Empire of the Cat said...

I think it could be that a lot of those places weren't doing so well despite appearances and covid was the final straw. Sorry for my lateness, struggling with my sprained wrist. Happy belated T Day Elle/EOTC xx