Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Food Wednesday: Potato Soup

 

Today I am joining my friend Kathy at Hummingbird Woodland Studio and her Food Wednesday.  It's where we share food and possibly recipes.  This is my first time joining, so I hope I got it right.

My friend Scott and I made potato soup last Saturday.  Unfortunately, this is then only photo I got.  

Here is the recipe.  It is much simpler than Kathy's recipe last week.

5 lbs potatoes or 8 large, peeled,* pared, and cut into bite size bits.

2 red onions, chopped

1 quart 1/2 and 1/2

1 stick (1/4 lb) butter

Dill

Salt and pepper to taste

*Note on peeled potatoes.  I am NOT one to peel my potatoes, because I have always read the nutrients are in or just under the skin.  However, when Scott's sister was working on her Ph.D., she measured the nutrients and contaminants in soil.  She found that pesticides can live in soil for up to 40 years.  If you have potatoes that were planted in soil where there had been pesticides, or there was pesticide runoff, she found pesticide is in the skin of the potato.  She also tested potatoes that had been planted near a building that had asbestos in it.  The skin of the potatoes absorbed the asbestos, too.  The fleshy part of the potato was unaffected.  That's why she warns to always peel any potatoes you have not planted and know the ground in which you planted them.

Cook potatoes in salt water until nearly done.  Add onions and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.  Drain water (and reserve for a future soup broth).  Add cream, butter, dill, salt, and pepper.  Make sure cream is thoroughly hot and butter is melted.  You may need to cook the potato soup a bit longer, depending on how soft you like your potatoes.  Garnish with additional dill.

This is not exactly a low calorie soup.  It will definitely stick to your ribs.  Now let's check out what food or recipes Kathy has shared this week.

 

14 thoughtful remarks:

pearshapedcrafting said...

Looks like a good recipe - red onions must make it look pretty! Chrisxx

kathyinozarks said...

Good Morning Elizabeth, thank you so much for your potato soup recipe. I did not know that about the potato skins absorbing contaminants from the soil. allot of times I will keep the skins on the red potatoes I won't be doing that anymore.
I love your recipe and will try it. I always mixed a starch with the cream or milk and that would usually seperate or curdle on me I love the red onions and dill in this too.
Thank you so much for sharing your potato soup recipe with us and linking up for Food Wednesdays Kathy
(ps thank you so much for trying with my T link-thought perhaps it couldn't be fixed)

Mae Travels said...

So many ways to make potato soup! And they all seem to come out great. Dill is a great idea as a flavoring.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

If I am going to take the time to make something, I don't worry about calories. I may not make it all the time, but sometimes, a good hearty soup tastes delicious. And keeps you warm. This sounds yummy Elizabeth, and I'm glad you joined us with some food this week. Hope all is going well. Hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

That's interesting about the pesticides and potatoes. Food for thought. I love potato soup -- so hearty, especially on a cold day. But I've never made it before. I might have to give it a try!

Barbara said...

The recipe looks simple and sounds delicious. Hello, Scott!!!

CJ Kennedy said...

Nice soup for today. Cold and soon to be snowing.

jinxxxygirl said...

Simply adore potato soup Elizabeth! Its my go to when i go to Olive Garden. I've never tried to make it though... I'll bet yours turned out fabulous! I did not know that about potato skins... I usually eat the skin when i have a baked potato... hmmmm... maybe not anymore..! Have a great week! Hugs! deb

DVArtist said...

Elizabeth I am so happy to see you joining in with Kathy's Food Wednesday. I really want this link up to take off. Serious cooks, dabblers, vegans, keto, I would love to see all types of recipes shared. As for the potato information. I kind of knew that in that in the back of my brain, like you I enjoy the skins. Uhhh no more for me. However, your potato soups sounds excellent. Give my Dill any day. Have a great day today.

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds like a great soup! Hugs, Valerie

da tabbies o trout towne said...

thanx for sharing Elizabeth !!! the recipe sounds great and I'll admit I never knew that the potato skin could retain a pesticide like that ~~~~ YEOW ~~~~

Sharon Madson said...

That is why it is so good, all that richness and calories. We love potato soup! I am shocked about the skins, as I am like you and always thought them healthy , and have always eaten the skins! Well, here I am 76, and I guess it hasn’t hurt me yet! LOL. Fun that you and Scott got to cook this potato soup. I am hoping you have recooped from the outage, by now. When we lived in Hays, a squirrel was always outing himself and our power! Hugs, Elizabeth.

craftytrog said...

The soup sounds good, thanks for the recipe Elizabeth. Nice to see Scott too. Interesting to read about the pesticides, I'll be peeling in future!
Alison

Neet said...

I love leek and potato soup and do think potatoes make a lovely one so I am going to have to try this recipe for myself. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs, Neet xxx