Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Food Wednesday: leftovers

 

Today I am joining my friend Kathy at Hummingbird Woodland Studio and her Food Wednesday.  It's where we share food and possibly recipes.

Some of you may have seen I was without electricity for nearly 16 hours a couple of weeks ago.  I decided I needed to eat as much food as possible that had been without electricity.  It was time for leftovers.  I looked through my fridge and decided to combine a few of the leftovers I had.


I combined left over brown rice with corn and an opened container of garbanzo beans (also called chick peas).  I remembered I had black beans in the freezer siphoned from bean water when I dyed fabric, so I defrosted some of them, too.  Finally, I added a green pepper.  All these leftovers combined to make two wonderful huge meals.  Very healthy and delicious, too.  My advice is look at your leftovers and see if you can combine them to make something even more enjoyable. Since everything was already cooked, all I had to do was heat the meals in the microwave oven for about two minutes.  BTW, this bowl is deeper than it appears in my photo.

Now let's check out what food or recipes Kathy and the Food Wednesday group have shared this week.
 

18 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Hmmmm, this sounds very yummy!
And healthy, too.
Oh, boy, really your electricity problems shock me every time, especially in winter!

kathyinozarks said...

This looks delicious Elizabeth, I love the addition of the chick peas-I have started using those more lately.
I felt bad for you that you had lost your electricity again, especially in the winter time.
Thank you for joining with us today at food wednesdays
Hugs Kathy

Valerie-Jael said...

This looks good! Vaerie

pearshapedcrafting said...

I am having to leave a TSFT comment here too as it is still coming up as read only.
I love that you celebrate St Patricks day - although some councils promote it here in England, it only seems to be the Irish pubs that have any reference to it.
I love this kind of leftover meal - although most of mine generally include pasta or tortillas!
Your tasty meal also looks so colourful.
Hugs, Chrisx

My name is Erika. said...

I love left overs and this looks very yummy. I always feel very creative when I combine things from the fridge or freezer. Too bad the hubby isn't a fan of left overs or rice (or beans even-eeks-sometimes it is so boring to cook with him around-smile) because I might put something like this together. Thanks for sharing. hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Great idea. Heat and eat

Mae Travels said...

I’m with the put-it-iin-a-tortilla commenters. Sounds like some of my creations, even when the ingredients are NOT leftovers. I also add hot sauce or salsa.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Jeanie said...

I have fun with mix-and-match meals with whatever is in the fridge. I never did that much till Covid when I stopped doing my own shopping and had to rely on what I had till it was time to place and order. One of the better things to come out of those years.

jinxxxygirl said...

My husband is so good at throwing meals like this together... little bit of everything... me.. i need a recipe... Looks absolutely delicious. Hugs! deb

Divers and Sundry said...

I like leftovers, but that's no use to me in a power outage. The food in the fridge goes bad in 4 hours or so depending on the temps in the house, and the microwave/stove/oven are electric. I live on dry cereal in those times.

DVArtist said...

Oh this sounds and looks sooo darn good. Have a great day.

Carola Bartz said...

We eat a lot of leftovers in this house and I love to combine some of them and create someting new. Yours is right down my alley. Looks delicious and I bet it tasted wonderful as well.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; this recipe looks and sounds delish !!! thanx for sharing :) ♥♥

bleu and squiggles; iz ya stayinin trubull ;) ☺☺☺

Sandra Cox said...

That sounds and looks soooo good.
Glad you've got electricity and hope you are feeling much, much better.
Hugs

Rain said...

That looks yummy Elizabeth! Healthy too. I am trying to go through the deep freezer and cook everything up. We have plenty of food that's precooked in case of a power failure, good advice to be prepared for that!

Lowcarb team member said...

This looks good, many thanks for sharing.

All the best Jan

craftytrog said...

Looks very healthy and tasty Elizabeth!

Debra said...

Yum! And it looks so pretty in that blue dish. I love beans so much.