Tuesday, February 1, 2022

What's your style?

 

Art Journal Journey has a new host as we do every month.  This month there are two hosts!  If you've already been to the Art Journal Journey blog you know those hosts are Bleubeard and myself.  Bleubeard will mostly provide support and encouragement, and I will create the art. 

We're asking What's your style?  Of course, we have lots of examples, too. 

Many of you are here because you are a mixed media artist or art journaler.  You will immediately know names like Lynne Perrella, Dyan Reaveley, Dina Wakely, Tim Holtz, and Seth Apter.  They each have a very distinct style that can't be confused with any other artist.  I'm sure you also have admired artists who aren't well known, but you still follow their blogs or web sites.  Their art is also so distinct, you would be able to pick out their style in a crowd of other images. 

What other styles are you familiar with, or that you possibly emulate?  Do you like the art of abstract artists like Carla Sonheim, Lynn Whipple, or others?

Perhaps your art revolves around architecture or travel.
 
I have a blogger friend I visit daily (or whenever she posts) who, in my eyes, is famous for her drips and splatters.  You know I'm talking about Craftytrog, aka Alison.
 
Maybe you're a nature lover and nature is what inspires you.  It is definitely fun to color in the lines of nature, too.

Could stamps and stamping be your "thing?"  I once teased one of my co-administrators, Chris, aka pearshapedchris, that I thought she used at least one stamp in every journal page she created.  It took her awhile, but she actually found a journal page that didn't have a stamped image on it.  If you prefer stamping, whether they are purchased or hand carved, this might be your style.

Some of you rely heavily on stencils, whether you are using them on a gel plate, or directly on your page. 

Perhaps you rely heavily on watercolor paints and pencils. 

Maybe words or backgrounds are what set your journal pages apart.  If that's the case, this may be your style.  
 
And whatever you choose, don't forget the sewing (whether fabric or paper) that holds it all together, just like all these index cards I sewed together that I backed with 110 lb cardstock.  Of course, we can't forget about the incredibly gifted digital artists who work their magic by cutting, copying, and pasting digital images unlike collage artists who cut, copy, and paste images from catalogs, newspapers, and junk mail.

Here is something I came across while researching various artistic styles.  The research led me to ask if an artist should try to develop a unique, distinctive style.  In his 1888 essay Thoughts on our Art of Today, John Everett Millais believed
A varied manner must be cultivated. I believe that however admirably he may paint in a certain method, or however perfectly he may render a certain class of subject, the artist should not be content to adhere to a speciality of manner or method. A fine style is good, but it is not everything—it is not absolutely necessary.

I wonder if "style" had the same connotations then that it has today.

Of course, maybe you're like me and don't have a specific style.  Regardless, Bleubeard and I want to see your style of pages this month at Art Journal Journey.  You could even have a different style for each day of the month, if you choose.

Chris, Erika, Valerie, Yvonne, Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you this month at Art Journal Journey with your own take on What's Your Style?

We welcome art journal pages that meet the theme requirements, altered book pages, canvases, loose or stand alone pages including fabric and digital art.  We do not allow cards, tags, index cards, ATCs, or ATCoins, unless they are part of a journal page, and as much as we don't want to, will be forced to delete your entry.  

 

23 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful collage of your index cards, love the sewing. Bleubeard is surely proud of you today! Have a good one, take care, hugs, Valerie
Spellchecker just tried to change Bleubeard to bluegrass!

Elephant's Child said...

I look forward to a delightful month here. And inspirational month too.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh my! What a brilliant page and post Elizabeth. Sewing on paper is definitely your style and the pieces you have seen together here really do showcase a fabulous range of styles. Oh! and yes, I do love stamping - as you will see on my first page! Hugs, Chrisx

Meggymay said...

An absolutely awesome page and inspiration for the new theme you have chosen for us all at AJJ and I love how you stitched them all together. I have spent a while looking at each style you showcased on the page and couldn't say if I had a preference, each one looks fantastic.
Stay safe and well.
Yvonne xx
.

My name is Erika. said...

This is a great first entry with all your styles. And I like how you made the collage for the AJJ page. All these pieces are very interesting. Styles has so many layers of meanings. And even though we are all more experimental than some of the bigger more established artists (I often wonder if they ever get bored because their audience expects certain things from them), I can definitely pick out pieces from the you ladies as I see so much of your art. Similar to those bigger named artists At least most of the time. I think you like to experiment a lot as do I. This will be a fun theme this month. I am looking forward to it. And oh no about the snow. I think we only look organized because we get so much snow in the winter. So we have to be prepared every winter. If we didn’t have a snow blower we would literally get trapped in the house. Smile. I don’t think I could do it if all myself if my husband want here. Anyhow. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you don’t get too much snow. And thanks for all the style inspiration this month too. I’m looking forward to it. Hugs Erika

Neet said...

This is a fabulous post Elizabeth, so glad you are being supported by Bleubeard as well.
Thank you for all the inspiration, there is enough there to keep everyone going and I love all your samples. Thank you so much - it's brill!
Hugs, Neet xxx

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful page Elizabeth, I am that I don't think I have a style-I don't follow any artists for inspiration-when I make a journal page-I just do what comes to me
the artistry here is really beautiful

kathyinozarks said...

Oh and I do love the quote from the 1800's very much

Mia said...

What a great theme for AJJ! Your page with various styles is a true inspiration. Hugs, my friend.

Sharon Fritchman said...

This is such a FABULOUS theme for AJJ, Elizabeth! And I LOVE how you made a page around it. Each separate piece really depicts each specific style, and sewn together, they make a beautiful work of art! Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us, and for this month's awesome theme, too!

Nancy Chan said...

Beautiful art. Have a great day.

Divers and Sundry said...

It's like a quilt :) I like the way you highlight the unique styles of those who have them while acknowledging some don't have a particular identifying style.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

that's one of the nice things about art; the unique and different styles and I think as we go about "life" we find the styles we enjoy change with age; which is also nice !! :) ♥♥

Sandra Cox said...

Lots of fun pieces, quilted together in a collage.
YOU have a great.

Iris Flavia said...

I have to admit... most of the names don´t ring a bell. I´m more the LAMY / Faber Castell-type with some stamps, sewing (thanks to you btw), embossing and Monday I got an air brush starter set (no time yet to try it).

Love all your styles!

DVArtist said...

Wow there is so much pretty here.

Caty said...

This page is beautiful Elizabeth!
I love all the different styles you have created, I like them all! , I don't have a preferred style, and we can say that we are MetaArtists haha, like in the Metaverse, we create with different styles each time, depending on how we wake up that day haha (that's for me), yes.
Great theme at AJJ, thank you very much. I have reedited my post, and have joined you, (I didn't remember you accepted canvas)
Well, I wish you had a very nice day, and send big hugs,
Caty

Jeanie said...

I'm not sure I have a style -- unless eclectic and schizophrenic count as styles. I love all the examples you shared here. They are really lovely. And I do admire artists with a style but I think I'm too restless to settle!

On another note, I made a comment on your Chinese new year post -- I loved your set up with the red and the cups, so traditional and very beautiful. Then I left the page before hitting the captcha and I don't think it took. But I loved it.

Thanks for all your visits, Elizabeth. They are always so appreciated!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I love your sewn collage with the tender help from Bleubeard you certainly have given us food for thought and inspiration galore from your very first post. I'm hoping time will be much kinder this month as I sure plan to play when I can.
Happy February Hugs Tracey xx

Birgit said...

This is excellent! I love how you showcased each style and they all work well as one page. You put a lot of work, once again, into this page.

craftytrog said...

I love your patchwork of different art styles Elizabeth, it's fabulous!

BJ said...

Just popped by from a link of a link on WOYWW, it's been an age but I still love my Altered book I did with you, have it displayed on top of my wardrobe. Not sure what my style is really but die cutting would be a feature. Fond memories BJ

NatureFootstep said...

wow, that´s a lot to take in. So many different artwork.

I never thought of mine as Journals but you called my art Journals so, maybe it is ok for me to continue that. It would be good as now PPF seem to end. Then I haev someplace to post my stuff. :)

Thanks!