Monday, January 3, 2022

Oh Deer!

 

Blogger not only won't let me leave comments on many blogs, it also won't let me publish my annual accountability post.  Blogger is telling me it is already published, although, once it refused to publish, I made sure the date was for 2022. Instead, I have now scheduled it for the 5th.

Instead I'm joining a couple of challenges, one of which is Erika's Let's Face It theme at Art Journal Journey, and Mia's Craftlandia Challenge, which is deer.

 Here is my sad interpretation of the challenge.  Sad because of my dying scanner.

Although the background is black watercolor paper, my scanner shared all its lines and defects.  Note to self: next time I have a black background, don't use the scanner!

My poor deer!

There seems to be a ghost in the cabin.
I started with 90 lb. black watercolor paper to which I added pages from two different foreign book pages I "aged" using two different processes.  For the bottom page, I used old make-up I was given to use in my art.  For the top page, which I know is German, I used a water soluble crayon, then outlined it with the same dye ink that I used to create the deer.

Originally the deer was supposed to look like it was attached to the wooden wall.  However, since I'm not good at stamping, and I don't have one of those stamping platforms where you can stamp over and over and over, I had to make due with what I had.  Because it looked like a ghost print, rather than a first print, I decided to call it the ghost in Cabin 13.  I was trying to make lemonade out of lemons, I guess!

Thank you ever so much for visiting today.  Bleubeard and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you this month at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Erika's Let's Face It and at Mia's Craftlandia Challenge 9 which runs through January 12.    Now let's see if Blogger lets me schedule it, so I can finally get some sleep.

 

18 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Sigh at blogger. I had to change browsers to be able to leave comments. My new browser does peculiar things when I try to post, so now I alternate.
Love your ghostly deer.

Meggymay said...

It may not have been what you had in mind when you started but this page looks fabulous to me. I love the layers and the deer image on the door and the base blck layer looks like fabric to me.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page Elizabeth! Sorry about your scanner. I miss mine just now, but could hardly bring it into the clinic! Could you please link me to TSFT this evening, and will be in bed by then! The night nurse is strict! Blogger is being very silly just now, a lot of my comments just disappear, too. Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

Ayla said...

Ohhh yo lo veo muy dulce y lindo ese ciervo sobre la madera, me encanta. Y el fondo negro pues si se ve como mezclado con otro color pero no queda mal, le da un aire particular :D. Las máquinas a veces se nos rebelan jajaja.
Muchas gracias por participar en el reto con ese hermoso ciervo :D
Besote!!!!

My name is Erika. said...

This page has a nice look to it. I like the deer on the wood paper. It feels like he belongs there. I like the layered book pages too. And he does have a handsome face too. Thanks for sharing this at AJJ for my challenge this month. It is much appreciated. And happy Monday. See you tonight for T. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

I think it looks like the deer was wood burned into the wood. very cool

Jeanie said...

That paper is the perfect match for that deer. This is really a wonderful piece, Elizabeth.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is fantastic. I love this art piece. I've been having trouble leaving comments, too. Do you get the "whoops something went wrong" statement from Google? I get something like that.

craftytrog said...

I really love this page Elizabeth! It looks fabulous!
Hugs,
Alison

DVArtist said...

I have had to go to another browser to leave comments. I normally use Mozilla but blogger and Mozilla are not playing nice. I love this piece so much. At first I thought you did some pyro on wood. Have a great day.

Divers and Sundry said...

Can you get any answers from the blogger help page?
https://support.google.com/blogger/community

I like your deer, ghost or not ;)

Mia said...

Hi Liz, no matter what the scanner did, your page is beautiful. I love the deer stamp and how you put the pages from the foreign books together. As for the stamping platform, have a look here
https://craftartista.blogspot.com/search?q=platform
in my blog to make your own stamping platform (very easily).
And A HUGE THANK YOU, my dear friend, for joining Craftlandia Challenge. I send you a big hug and wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Many many kisses!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love this page Elizabeth-he really does look as though he can disappear through your wall. As for blogger - you know what I have been going through!!!!Hugs, Chrisx

Birgit said...

I think it looks great and love the deer look along with the newspaper and dark background. Great look and Happy New Year!

Lowcarb team member said...

I like this.
I'm sure blogger will settle down soon, we do tend to get glitches from time to time.

All the best Jan

Neet said...

Intentional or not I love your ghost like deer and the idea is fabulous. If you had not told me the background to this I would have thought it was an intentional Journal post. In fact it is a favourite of mine. I love how you have layered the main picture up on text paper, the colours you have used and the faint image of the deer works so well and is a very clear image. No bits missing, perfectly clear and I love it.
Hugs, Neet xx

Diana Moriel said...

I think you just made a delicious lemonade, what I mean is you did a wonderful job with that background, so original and beautiful. Thank you for joining the Craftalandia Challenge, happy new year!

HerminiaRegolf said...

I like your deer, I think it's a fabulous picture !!
Patience with Blogger and happy 2022.