Saturday, December 11, 2021

Let's get organized

 

Last month, my friend Erika asked me to share organization tips.  I'll begin with the basics.   If there is any way you can move everything out of your craft room, that would be ideal.  However, if not, you still need a plan.

If you have been around my blog for any length of time, you know I preach "zones."  You don't stick your spices in your refrigerator and you don't store your silverware in your sock drawer.  You don't store your makeup with your milk, or your toilet paper in your oven.  That may sound silly when I put it that way, but you have zones in other parts of your home, why not your craft space, too.

The first thing you need to do is put on paper what you want to go and where.

These are scribbles I made when I was planning my basement studio after the big flood I had there several years ago. They were really not to scale, only for my clarification. As you can see, my room is 14' ( 4.26 m) wide X 13'6" (4.15 m) long, then 12'6" (3.84 m) on the "closet" side. I have moved my work bench to the west wall, and will place my three new bookcases (plastic five shelf) on the south wall. That way I can get more items on the bookcases, since the ceiling is a foot and a half higher in that area.  You can see the map is oriented for north to be at the top.

I drew bookcases and numbered the shelves, then determined what I wanted to place on them. As you can see, I changed my mind several times before finally deciding on where to place each item. Better to move stuff on paper than in reality.  Again, things are set in zones.

And finally, this is my work bench, but it too changed, since I was able to use cinder blocks instead of bricks to hold the boards.  One thing I was sure of was, I wanted all my charms on a sturdy board where I could reach them.

If you truly want to get organized, measure your room, then measure your current furniture and shelving units.  From there, decide where each unit should be placed.  Drawing to scale would be best, but if that isn't possible, at least document where everything should live.

For those of you who say you have only a tiny space, or your art is shoved under your bed (or other area), if you draw a "zones map," you will know exactly where everything is when you look for it.

I hope that helps.  More organizing tips another day, dear friends.


14 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...


Spices in the fridge - oh, it must have happened, LOL!
I think you would cry if you saw my way to organize things.
Some utensils are in the TV-board, others under the swing..
That has an organization, too, no?
To my excuse... I have to make it a home in the living room, where I have a small corner.

Oh, yes, those scribbles remind me of the good old days where I had my huge A0 drawing machine to make "real technical drawings" of the creative fun srcibbles.
Surprisingly I liked both ways!

Is you back better by now?
Guess how I was woken up... a huge cramp in my leg, oh, my, I nearly yelled for help (Ingo was at the market, though).
To health and being pain-free! Hugs.

Elephant's Child said...

Love your logical approach.
Mind you some of the zones in our house are very flexible...😊

Valerie-Jael said...

Organization is not my thing! Hugs, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

good tips

CJ Kennedy said...

Good idea.

Jeanie said...

I'm going to enjoy this series of organizing tips, Erika. The floorplan is a good idea. One I've never done -- and should!

My name is Erika. said...

I like your map idea. Even the hubby is talking about removing the wall that makes up the walk in closet in the spare bedroom I use for art. A walk in closet is great, but the room is very narrow and L shaped and since we don't use it for a bedroom, would be better without it. Plus we need to pull up the rug. The biggest issue is emptying the room of all the paper art supplies, yarn and cloth. I really need a barn-smile. Thanks for sharing and happy Saturday! ugs-Erika

My name is Erika. said...

I also wanted to comment on your comment yesterday about the butterflies in Scott's tree. I'd forgotten about that, and thanks for the reminder. I even went back to the post. It is really amazing, isn't it?

Nancy said...

Oh my, it's an ongoing battle!

Jenn Jilks said...

It is always good to have a plan!

DVArtist said...

Very nice to stay organized.

craftytrog said...

Great tips Elizabeth! I really need to organise my space, and I need to get rid of a lot too. One day!!!
Alison

craftytrog said...

To be perfectly honest, the whole house needs organising 😂

Mia said...

I recently organized by craft room, Elizabeth, but still this is not ready. Your ideas will help me a lot. Thank you, sweetie.