Friday, December 10, 2021

Friday Smiles 451: Another room in the musuem

 

It's Friday and I'm once again joining Friday Smiles which is hosted by Annie (at A Stitch in Time).   Let's visit her and the other wonderful ladies who also share their smiles each Friday.

This is the room we will enter today.  I hope those of you who are mothers will appreciate this and those who love antiques, will also.

This is what I saw when I entered the room.  From the children's toys to vintage clothes, to a breakfast scene which we'll view later, this is always a fun room to view.

An old radio and floor lamp looked like something one might have from (I think) the 1940s.

Radio schedules, books, children's toys, and vintage dolls were carefully displayed.

Even though I never collected dolls as a child, I love this display.

I have one of these "prams" I found sitting by the side of the road on trash day.  Mine has isinglass windows on the sides and it's actually in better condition than the one in the museum.

I especially like what appears to be a child's steamer trunk.  I wonder if the fabric in those dresses is new or old.  I'm not sure what is in the boxes, but I'm guessing hats.

One of my favorite displays.  I'll return to this soon.

Robots and space, which, from what I have read, is what children in the 1950s were interested in.

Games, something I love, too.  However, I've never heard of or seen any of these.  I think they are SO much more fun than what we have today, like Candy Crush, etc.

Farm toys, cars, trains, and airplanes make this one of my favorite toy displays.

Back to the carousel horse.  There are mirrors behind it, 

so I had to be careful where I stood to take the photos.

A baby's room.  Note how far apart the side slats are.  They would never pass inspection today.  And although I've never been a mother, I understand you don't place a pillow in a baby's crib anymore.

Baby's breakfast in a high chair.  Great Kelloggs poster, too.  I LOVE the cane seat in this chair and I love the floor pattern, too.

There's more in this room, but I'll save it for next week.  How many of you mothers remember using something similar or having something similar in your room as a child?

Finally, a few more church bulletin bloopers:
 
The choir invites any member of the congregation who enjoys sinning to join the choir.
 
Our next song is “Angels We Have Heard Get High.”
 
The rosebud on the altar this morning is to announce the birth of David Alan Belzer, the sin of Rev. and Mrs. Julius Belzer.
 
This being Easter Sunday, we will ask Mrs. Lewis to come forward and lay an egg on the altar.
 
The service will close with Little Drops of Water.  One of the ladies will start quietly and the rest of the congregation will join in.
 
Next Sunday a special collection will be taken to defray the cost of the new carpet.  All those wishing to do something on the carpet should come forward and do so.
 
The church is glad to have with us today as our guest minister the Rev. Shirley Green, who has Mrs. Green with him.  After the service, we request that all remain in the sanctuary for the Hanging of the Greens.
 
Now let's join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the lovely ladies who join her for Friday Smiles.  Thanks again for visiting and spending a bit of time with Bleubeard and me this Friday.  Bleubeard would also like to catch Squiggles doing something on the carpet.  We would love to have you join us, too.  

19 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

What an amazing room - thank you.
And thank you for the bloopers - which made me smile.
I hope you are in less pain, and moving more freely.

Iris Flavia said...

I never saw a pram with windows - clever idea!
Oh, right - that crib makes one to just want to try to escape!
And the horses. Beautifully detailed.

Annie said...

Oh wow. I love all the toys, games and equipment for the nursery. Life was definitely different back then and, as you say, some would never pass health and safety these days ....but we survived it 😀😀 Your funnies got me chuckling too so thanks for sharing them.
Really hoping your back improves very soon.
Hugs,
Annie x

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous photos, hugs, Valerie

mamapez5 said...

That was a fun room to visit. My brothers and sisters and I all started life sleeping in an antique iron cot, that dad was given. (He was a removal man and often folk would give him items they didn't want to move with them). The bars were very wide, and the original paint was probably lead but we all survived. It was eventually passed on to my oldest sister and then on to her children. I think the next generation are still using it but it has been modified for safety!
The bloopers are always good for a smile.
I do hope you have recovered from your fall, and the bruises are fading now. I wanted to send you a personal message but I found you had removed your email, but I was thinking of you. Take care. Kate x

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun room with lots of cool stuff. The carousel horse is a beauty. The game board on the lower left, the one with the pastel circles, is a Parchesi board. I played that all the time as a kid. A more modern example of the game would be "Sorry"

Mae Travels said...

Interesting that they chose to use quotes from "A Child's Garden of Verses" as the background for the displays. I guess it is THE children's poetry classic.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

I'm glad someone or some people decided to make a museum of these items. We take what we have for granted I think, and it's only when time has passed do we realize how things do change, for good or bad. I wonder if, in 100 years or so, if our modern items will make it into a museum? The plastic things might discolor or get dirty, but they'll still be around I bet. Have a great Friday my friend. How's the back doing? Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

This was an amazing room Elizabeth. I am not a mother but I enjoyed seeing all the vintage items.
great funnies too-

DVArtist said...

Wow this is a wonderful place. Have a great day.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Glorious place to visit. I love the old radio and the carousel horse is amazing. I thought the first funny was brilliant and Mrs Lewis laying an egg must have been quite a sight to see! though the others made me smile too....well lots actually. Happy weekend my dear friend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Jeanie said...

I can see why this area makes you smile -- especially the carousel!

Sandra Cox said...

The bloopers were hilarious and the room fascinating. I especially like the carousel horse.

craftytrog said...

I'm still laughing at those church bloopers.
I love those vintage toys Elizabeth. What a great find your pram was!
Wishing you a great weekend.
Alison

Lisca said...

What a great museum! I love to see all the toys. My eye fell on the steamer trunk immediately. What an exquisite little toy for a (probably spoilt) young lady.
I also thought the poems by Stevenson are delightful. I had never heard of them.
I love the board games. The one against the wall is Parcheesi, very well known in India. We had a similar game in Holland called Mens Erger Je Niet, which means: Don't get annoyed. There was also Ludo, very similar again, just a different designed board. We played it a lot when i was a child.
The other game I recognized is the box on the chair. I think it was called Electro, and it had general knowledge questions. It needed batteries. You touched an answer with a metal rod, and if you got it right, a little light would light up. Something like that. We had it when I was a child and new question sheets could be bought. My sister and I both loved it. Of course you could also play this on your own.
Of course the carousel horse is a beauty! I bet you wated to sit on it!
I giggled at the church bloopers. (Loved the Little Drops of Water!)
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Elizabeth said...

Hi Elizabeth, I did intend joining in today but I somehow managed to lose my post somewhere between my mobile and my PC! What a lovely museum this is. I can see exactly why the carousel horse is your favourite. My kids are over 50 and the advice back then was no pillow. The high chair is very interesting. It looks like one that can be altered to be a lower chair. Both my children had a more modern (1960s/1970s) version. The church bloopers are funny - the little drops of water was hilarious:) Have a lovely weekend. Elizabeth x

LA Paylor said...

hope you're recovering from the fall and thank you for beautiful words and pictures, love, LeeAnna

aussie aNNie said...

Hope your weekend is great. What a fabulous post. x

Debra said...

I'm still laughing over those bloopers! Thank you! I especially loved the photo of the steamer trunk.