Sunday, October 3, 2021

Monday Murals: It's axe throwing time

 

 It's time once again to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 11:01 a.m. my time today.

It's time to wield that axe,

 
especially if your name is Carry Nation.  She was born in Kentucky (USA) on November 25, 1846 as Carrie Amelia Moore.  She died on June 9, 1911 in Leavenworth, Kansas (USA).

For those who don't know, she was typically dressed in stark black-and-white clothing, would march into a saloon, then proceed to sing, pray, and chant biblical phrases while smashing bar fixtures and bottles of alcohol with a hatchet.  She represented the radical fringe of the Temperance Movement, a political and social movement that believed in abstinence of any form of alcohol.  These women were often called "teetotalers."
 
The center of the hogan (a native American symbol of home)



in this Wichita flag holds a hatchet that Nation liked to wield. 

Wichita has another connection to Carrie Nation, too.  I found this image of this sculpture found in the bar district.  She would not have been happy there were so many drinking establishments surrounding her statue.  The statue is located at 517 E. Douglas in Wichita, Kansas.

The irony is, this mural can be found in the alley of Blade and Timber, an axe throwing establishment that, according to their web site:
offers 9 axe throwing lanes for groups of all sizes. We offer a one-of-a-kind, interactive experience for anyone and everyone age 10 and up! For those 21+, enjoy a cold one at our bar.

The mural and the establishment are located at 535 West Douglas in Wichita, Kansas (USA).  The mural was created by Brickmob in October, 2018.

I'm taking a break from finding Wichita flags.  I have several murals I want to share before winter sets in.  If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.  Thanks for stopping by to visit Bleubeard and me.  We are both grateful you took time to join us today. 


20 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Brilliant mural and imposing statue. NOT a woman to mess with...

Valerie-Jael said...

Great mural, and a lady of very strong principles! Have a great Sunday, hugs, Valerie

Mae Travels said...

It's neat to memorialize a figure that's so out-of-step with current thought and sensibilities, but she was not nearly as far from the mainstream then as now. I've never heard of an ax-throwing establishment before!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

craftytrog said...

She looks like a very formidable lady! Great photos Elizabeth!

My name is Erika. said...

Interesting mural this week. And interesting story.I guess extremists have been part of our history for a long time. It is a cool mural, and I wonder if she would like having her statue in the bar area of town. Happy Sunday. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

There are axe throwing places all around. Seems to be a popular sport.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! This is a good find Elizabeth! Carry Nation sounds like a determined woman Hugs, Chrisx

Olde Dame Holly said...

I admire her moxie! She really, really believed in her cause. That's an amazing mural.

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for the mural, statue and facts.

All the best Jan

Tom said...

...since I don't drink, Carrie is my kind of gal! I am in the Adirondack toady and saw a car with a hogan on it. Thanks Elizabeth for sharing the neat mural.

kathyinozarks said...

Awesome mural, years ago when my husband was much younger he did allot of rendezvous's and teaching about the mountain man. all mountain men had a belt with their hatchets (ax) as a weapon and a tool in the woods.

kwarkito said...

a very interesting post. I also really like the wooden statue. Other than that, the temperance leagues have always scared me a little. All those people who claim to have a truth and lecture you are often infuriating

Iris Flavia said...

Hmmm, is that irony or rather a statement offering these ... "activities"? Stark mural. And statue. I so can imagine her.

Sami said...

She must have been a tough woman!! So nice that she was immortalized in a statue and the Wichita flags.
Axe throwing lanes, never heard of that :)
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Elizabeth.

Bertiebo said...

I love Carry Nation. Very interesting post, thank you!

Jackie McGuinness said...

So much to see/think in this post. I had heard the name but didn't really know anything about her. Love the mural and the fact that an axe throwing place would honour her.
Afraid this will never be a tea total household!
I love the sculpture and that it is located where it is.
I keep saying, I have to go to Wichita.

Jeanie said...

I had heard of Carrie Nation but knew little of her.

DVArtist said...

This is really a pretty mural.

Birgit said...

Why a native image around her axe? I am just curious. So she is the one that would have impeded my fun. hahahaaa. I am kind of giggling that her statue is surrounded by bars. She had strong convictions, I'll give her that.

Alice said...

That is a great find. I never heard of this, but not surprising in the past.