Saturday, August 28, 2021

What's your type?

 

This is a different look at Type, which is Neet's theme at Art Journal Journey.

Do you know your type?  Blood type, of course.  You can read each type up close below.









According to the American Red Cross web site, these are the four major blood types/groups and how they interact.  These groups are determined by the presence or absence of two A or B antigens and the Rh factor, which is also either positive or negative.  That in turn gives the eight most common blood types shown above.  Plasma is the final primary type/group.

Therefore the question, what type are you?

Do you know your type?

Do you know what blood type you are in case you need a transfusion?

The inspiration for this latest journal page came from one of the opening scenes in the hilarious police procedural Professor T, which has been shown on PBS (public broadcasting) for the last six weeks.  I am of British ancestry and, although most people won't find it as funny as I, it is a marvelous show, filled with lots of dry humor, starring Ben Miller (of Death in Paradise fame) as the quirky, yet brilliant Professor T.

I started this 110 lb cardstock page by using my go-to background.  This time I used black Staz-on reinker and 91% isopropyl alcohol.  Instead of swirls and swipes, this time I drew straight lines on the page, which I hoped would emulate the silver table on which corpses are placed for an autopsy.  I learned slide mounts are 1 inch X 3 inches (25 mm X 75 mm), so I cut my watercolor paper slide samples the same size.

I created the blood samples using red watercolor, to which I added, to varying degrees, orange, blue, and purple.  I added the hypodermic needle as my only embellishment.  The words "What type are you?" are from the back of the adhesive Dymo label I made recently.  I had to outline the words using a Sharpie after dye ink swiped over the letters didn't show the words as clearly as I had hoped.  Nothing goes to waste in my craft room!

This didn't turn out as I envisioned it in my head, but that was because my blood types were too large.  After attempting a dry run, I tried to resize the blood types in my computer program.  However, both my program and my printer threw a fit, so I gave up and used what I had.
 
As always, I am super grateful you visited today.  Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you soon at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Type.  Remember, you still have time to join us with your own journal, altered book, fabric, canvas, or digital entry.


17 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

A+ with an RH negative factor here.

Iris Flavia said...

I have my blood-donation "passport" with me at all times, both, Ingo´s and mine written down. We don´t match.

Great work, great thought! I really should know in an instant and will look it up again!

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Elizabeth! It's always good to know your own blood type in emergencies. Fabulous page, great idea. Hope you are having a fun week with Joseph and his sons, enjoy your time together! Hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

P.S. you helped me to another post this way.

Neet said...

I haven't a clue. I've had blood transfusions but nobody ever told me which blood group I was. How strange, or how lax is that!
Anyway, this is a super way of defining 'type' fo0r my theme at Art Journal Journey. Elizabeth you are a mine of information and this is a very interesting post. Thank you.
As an aside, ok I am British, but I have to agree with you on the programme Professor T. Ben Miller is brilliant with his deadpan expression, and perfectly paired with the brilliant Frances de la Tour as his eccentric mother. I think they physically match! It is a programme we both sit and watch and thoroughly enjoy. Hope Bleubeard is watching it too.
Thanks for joining in again with this interesting post for my theme at Art Journal Journey.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Mae Travels said...

I thought that they always tested the recipient's reaction in a test tube before providing the transfused blood, to be sure that there wouldn't be a reaction from the A-B factor, the Rh-factor, or from some unknown. I hope this is really true-- a bad transfusion can kill a person.

Nice presentation.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

nwilliams6 said...

I love this page, Elizabeth. Brilliant way to cover the Type Theme! I am O negative which is good and bad! Bugs have always found me and skipped everyone else around me when outside - then I found out mosquitos and other bugs love O blood and can sense it. So interesting but not good for someone in the middle of one of the buggiest places in the U.S. The drops of blood are fun as is the needle. Have a great weekend. Hugz

Elkes Lebensglück said...

I always have my passport with me, that's so important to me. If someone has a rare blood type, so much the more. You showed it really well and it's interesting.
Have a happy weekend,hug,Elke

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, this is such a cool "take" on the theme type-I love it.
I am type A +

CJ Kennedy said...

Very clever take on type.

My name is Erika. said...

You had some fabulous ideas this month Elizabeth. I love this one!!!!!! And even though blood color doesn't change by type, I like how you did that for some artistic flair. Where did you get your info about the blood types? I had to laugh at that one as it told me my type is more common in Latin Americans. Hee-hee. And my husband and daughter are Asian Americans. I know, it is NOT a predictor of type but a trend. Hee hee-I even used type in my sentence. This is a super page. Have a great weekend. It's been a lot of fun seeing your creations this month. hugs-Erika

Olde Dame Holly said...

What a unique and unusual perspective on "type." When I tutored Anatomy & Physiology, I made a little card game and it helped the pre-nursing students learn how not to "kill" a transfusion recipient!

craftytrog said...

A brilliant take on Neet's theme Elizabeth, I love your page.
I know that I'm O+ as I used to give blood regularly. That was before I had to have a transfusion when I gave birth to my daughter. I was thankful to all the folks that gave their blood for me then.
Have a great weekend,
Alison

Divers and Sundry said...

I've known my blood type in the past but have forgotten it.

Rita said...

O+ for me. Been a long time since I thought about that. :)

River said...

@EC; I don't think that's possible, to be A+ with a negative RH factor? the RH is either + or -

I was surprised to hear O is the most rare, then realised it was the O-
I am AB+ but there is no Asian in me.

Sami said...

I have no idea about my blood type actually.
Nice page Elizabeth and I'll have to search for the Professor T series, sounds funny :)