Thursday, August 19, 2021

Classified Disparity

 

I'm once again joining Neet, who can be found at Hickydorums.  By now you may know she is our host this month at Art Journal Journey. She has chosen Type as her theme.

Today I'm taking a somber look at Type.  No puns, no clever sayings, no quirky newspaper stories.  I have named this Classified Disparity.

Some of you may have seen the reverse of this leaflet, which has the menu for Merle's where my foodie friend Sally and I went earlier this year.  It appears to have been a real page from The Wichita Eagle's classified section from May 20, 1935.  Although I cannot  guarantee its accuracy, I'm taking it at face value.

Let's look at some of the disparate ads I noticed as I was perusing them.  To get a job, if you were a female, you had to be young, or work sales (and receive a small commission), or be what we now call a nanny, where you make $2.00/week in addition to room and board.

Now let's look at male ads.  Two neat young men can earn $20.00 a week (as opposed to women who can make $3.00-$4.00 commission).

Everywhere I looked I saw disparity.

Then there is the couple sitting on the homes for rent.  They look so happy, but do you actually believe any landlord is going to rent any of these homes to them? 

After all, this is 1935, and they are not even allowed to drink at the same water fountain or sit at a lunch counter in Wichita at that time. 

That's why I found so much disparity in these ads.

For this page, I began by scanning, then cropping the classified ads, as well as the front page of The Eagle.  I tried to size both accordingly, which took forever.  Next, I glued the two images in place, then highlighted some of the ads using a yellow highlighter.  It's a play on Yellow Journalism, a style of newspaper reporting that emphasized sensationalism over facts.   I wrote the word Disparity on a piece of left over cardstock using a Sharpie, which I then colored yellow with the highlighter.  It took me awhile to decide where to place the TH paper dolls, a gift from my friend Sharon.  

Thank you beyond belief for joining Bleubeard and me today to see how times have only marginally changed since 1935.  Women are still paid less than men in most situations.  Women typically take lesser/lower paying jobs because they are either less educated, or because they have low-self esteem.  People of color, including African Americans (blacks), Asian Americans, Latinos, and Native Americans/American Indians are often offered lower paying jobs, even though they are usually harder working individuals than white workers.  There is still much disparity in my country.

Bleubeard and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you this month at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Type.


21 thoughtful remarks:

aussie aNNie said...

You always have so much interest on your post as this one is...also just adore your post below and thanks for your kind worlds. xxx

Iris Flavia said...

This is a great and important work.
Creative, too.
And yes. Sadly times haven´t changed much. Or... not enough.

And it´s crazy that here it´s so different. The Muslims here rule. In a negative, scary way.

The Afro-Americans, too, but in a great way! In Sports. Football, Basketball, everybody admires them, they are all smiles. See Kelvin Love, everybody "loved" him. The Basketball-Players towering over me in the fitness-studio, all smiles asking me to go on with my training WITH them.

Why can´t they be treated like that in your country?
Why can´t Muslims stop hating "us"? Why had 9/11 had to happen?

Wish we all could grow up. Many did, and you just made a point. Great work.

Iris Flavia said...

P.S. ... also art-wise.
Would you mind to send it to me in high resolution for a print that can go to my boring door? 1935, wow, I mean... would be great and just in our home. Promise.

Elephant's Child said...

Those sad truths are reflected here too. Sigh and hiss and spit.
And thank you for all the work you put into this post.

CJ Kennedy said...

A very thought provoking page. It makes me think of the Virginia Slims (cigarette) campaign from the 1970s. "You've come a long way, baby." But we still have so much further to go.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Great contribution from you and a shame that there is still this hatred between people of other types and skin colors.
Have agood day, hug Elke

My name is Erika. said...

This is a nice way to discuss an issue that is still true in many ways, even if it is not 1935. I like how you approached this. Although these are issues, I do think in some ways we are better off than we were in 1935, and I also think it has to do with pockets of the country where there are many people who don't get opportunities. Some communities are better off than others, no matter what sex or race or background you are. But when one issue is fixed, another one arises. See, your page has already gotten me thinking-smile. And it is perfect for Neet's challenge. Hope your week is going well. hugs-Erika

Caty said...

Your Page is really interesting Elizabeth, and not only for the creativity you have got, but for the meaning of disparity. We may work more on this 84 years later.
Have a nice day, big big hugs
Caty

Mae Travels said...

Newspaper classified ads were the main source of funding for the other departments of newspapers until recently: this is one reason why newspapers are struggling. In the 60s thru the 80s many of the overt discriminatory classified advertising practices were eliminated, so you couldn't have ads for just women or just white job seekers any more.

But how are jobs advertised now? Have the discriminatory methods returned when the way of finding workers changed? I don't know the answer. Your post is very thought-provoking.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Sandra Cox said...

Oh I like this. The way it was laid out and the couple on the front.
So you had to be attractive to be a good waitress...Snort.
Take special care.

Neet said...

Congratulations on a page in your journal that sends out its own message to all who see it. Yes, it is 'type' (for my theme at AJJ) but so much more than that.
Elizabeth this shows the disparity that existed in 1935 but as you point out, there is still much of it about now. Yes, some things have changed but it will take a lot more and a long time for things to be as we would want them to be.
A very thought provoking, powerful page - perfect for my theme and so much more.
Thank you
Neet xxx

craftytrog said...

A great page Elizabeth! A pity there is still hatred, discrimination and disparity in the world.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous journal page with an important and actual message. Just got home here, hugs, Valerie

Rita said...

And there is still disparity. ;)

Meggymay said...

A fantastic page, giving a message that is still relevant in many parts of the world. I think it will still take many years to fix the differences.
Yvonne xx

Let's Art Journal said...

So interesting and a fabulous way to highlight this topic 😀. It's a shame there is still disparity today! Happy Friday and weekend! Hugs Jo x

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

This was a terrific post. Very powerful the way you presented it.

Spyder said...

Sorry I'm late... I'm having a lot of 'please try again later' notices!
I read your topic with great interest. And thought of a film I've watched many times about a team of African-American ladies, mathematicians who played a pivotal role in astronaut John Glenn's launch into orbit. 45 minutes round trip to a loo they could use even though there was one just down the hall! They were better at their jobs than any of the men but it was only the men that got the credit. Now to find T for Tuesday!!
If this doesn't post 'I'll try again later!' LYn

Divers and Sundry said...

History has lessons for us, but we're not great learners :(

Jeanie said...

Times have changed some, haven't they? A thoughtful piece indeed.

nwilliams6 said...

You are so right about the disparity! We have come a long way and I see more changes every day. It saddens me to think of the past and what people have had to go through....and lesser developed countries now as well... Love your page!!!