Saturday, July 31, 2021

Type

 

Today we welcome another first time host to Art Journal Journey.  Please welcome my good friend Neet, who can be found at Hickydorums.  To be honest, I have "known" Neet longer than many bloggers, including all my co-administrators at Art Journal Journey.  It was no surprise she chose Type as her theme for this month.  She has always been a stamper as long as I have known her.  Neet also loves different fonts, which will serve her well this month.  She has even drug me out of my comfort zone with this first entry in August.

 I now give you my take on Type.

 I have to admit, this really tested my ability and patience.

I purchased this set of red rubber stamps on wooden blocks years ago on clearance.  The rubber was still all held together in one square and had to be pulled apart and mounted onto the appropriate block.

Although I mounted the "E" properly on the block, I stamped it upside down.  The adhesive on each of the blocks had long since evaporated, so I had to glue the rubber to each block using E-6000.

It didn't help that I stamped some of the letters sideways, either.

I don't know about you, but since I'm not really a stamper,

I found the first time you use a new red rubber stamp, it requires a lot more ink. 

Note I still haven't figured out the "E."
 
Don't you just love this old typing machine called a caligraph?
 
Here is the page in all its glory.  The words in case you can't read them, or need a translation are:
Sorry you are not my type.
For this page, I started with leftover foreign language pages from a challenge at Art Journal Journey a couple of months ago.  I liked the fonts on each of them and thought they went well with Neet's idea of Type.  I tried to tear and glue them randomly on the page.  I then filled the voids with watercolors.  I  fussy cut the Caligraph, which was a freebie from The Graphics Fairy.

Thank you ever so much for visiting today.  Neet, Chris, Erika, Valerie, Yvonne, Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you this month at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Type.    
 
We welcome art journal pages that meet the size and theme requirements, altered book pages, canvases, loose or stand alone pages including fabric, and digital art.  We do not allow cards, tags, index cards, ATCs, or ATCoins, unless they are part of a journal page, and as much as we don't want to, will be forced to delete your entry. 


23 thoughtful remarks:

Olde Dame Holly Rose said...

Ha ha, that's so cute! "Sorry you are not my type" - lovely work on your visual pun!

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun piece, Elizabeth, a great start to the new theme! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Neet said...

I often do my printing with single letters upside down and sideways etc. I find it artistically pleasing to the eye. So dear Elizabeth, please do not apologise for your letters being as they are - I find them perfect!
When I looked at your page I certainly did not think you had been taken from your comfort zone, you have done 'Type' proud using those torn strips of papers which fascinate me because they are in different languages and I love the way some letters have, unusual to me, shapes.
I had to smile at your description of the old red rubber letters. I have those too and I know exactly what you mean about sticking them onto something you can use to stamp them down. I too have often stamped something upside down when I meant it to be the right way around, and I am a stamper!
Love the old machine, a calligraph. Even though it is an early odel you can see that the general make up of it is similar to the ones we used before computers.
One day I will find the perfect typewriter for myself and enjoy the clickety click of the old keys.
Thanks for inviting me to be a GD
Hugs, Neet xxx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Great theme idea. Loving your interpretation too. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

WendyK said...

Lots of different types on your lovely page, Hope you are keeping well, hugs Wendy.

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun page. Love those old typewriter keys. That would make a great card. 😺

Meggymay said...

A page that first of all made me smile when I read the quote and then I looked at all the type you used, added to that your stamping looked great, Using single letters has always been a problem for me as well, don't be so hard on yourself.
Its a fantastic inspiration for the theme Neet has chosen for us at AJJ this month.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

I like different languages you used on those bits of newspaper/book paper. They are perfect for type. And the caligraph is an interesting machine. The top is so high compared to the keys. I wonder how it worked. (I just paused to go look it up.) It's a great image for this month's challenge and your fun quote too. I like your type stamped letters. I don't have any that style but they look great and work perfect! I especially like the backwards E. It is a fun addition. Happy August my friend. hugs-Erika

Barbara said...

So nostalgic for many of us! Pounding out reports and papers on similarly typewriter are vivid in memory. Ahhh…for simpler times.

RO said...

I like the statement, and the way it turned out is actually more fun and creative. So yay to you for a job well done! Hugs and Happy Sunday! RO

nwilliams6 said...

Very fun. Love the words you used and the parts of pages, and the typewriter image is my favorite! Fun, fun, fun, Elizabeth!!! Hugz

Divers and Sundry said...

"not my type" is a fun take on the theme. Cool typewriter, too.

sheila 77 said...

Hello Elizabeth. I just love this page with all the colours and foreign language scraps and the (deliberately) wonky letters. I think the letter "E" was having a laugh or maybe it is more creative and freedom-loving than the other letters. I learned to type on an ancient typewriter but fortunately not one as ancient as this.

DVArtist said...

You really made the theme. I love this old time feel you created.

Cindy McMath said...

This is really great Elizabeth, and I often make my letters go in different directions to add interest.

pearshapedcrafting said...

A fabulous first page for Neet's 'Type' theme Elizabeth. If you hadn't mentioned it I would have thought the you letters had been stamped that way deliberately! I find trying to be great is sometimes a trial and stamp haphazardly to disguise any irregularities!! I love you splashes of colours between the text. Hugs, Chrisx

Lowcarb team member said...

This is just great so perfect for the theme.
Happy August Wishes - July seemed to zoom by!

All the best Jan

aussie aNNie said...

Awesome post, love your style and humour. xx

Iris Flavia said...

Very, very cool, I love it!

craftytrog said...

Fantastic page Elizabeth!
Happy August.
Alison

Elkes Lebensglück said...

This is a cool page made up !!! Whether the guy likes to doubt it, but you can't like everyone!
Have a happy week, hugs, Elke

sirkkis said...

Fun idea and wonderful composition, Elizabeth.
Thanks for the challenge, have a happy and healthy August xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

A grand mix of words Elizabeth, the typewriter is a fabulous vintage image how i'd love to own one just like this. Your play on words really made me smile today, fabulous journal page and a super theme from Neet.
Hugs Tracey xx