Thursday, May 20, 2021

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Candies

 

It's Thursday, so that means it's time to show my contribution to Rain's weekly Thursday Art Date.  This week the theme is Candies.  Most everything I have will be from pages I have created in my art journals or altered books.

I created this in my Coll-AH-ge altered book for an art challenge one year.  I named it Eye Candy.
This was for week 14 of a 52 week art project.  The prompt for that week was Sweet Treats, the title of the piece.  I used only candy and chocolate wrappers most people would have thrown in the trash.

In 2014, I was in a Craft Barn quotes and lyrics challenge.  The prompts for that week were knowledge and hurt.  I decided the word I would use would be HURT, mainly because all the DT examples were Knowledge.  Of course, those of you who know me, or follow along on my blog, know that I'm a positive person, with no room for pain or emotional baggage.  So finding a good quote was priority #1, and finding one I could use recycled materials with was priority #2.  For this entry that occurred during my recycling month of April, my quote came from Charles Schulz:
All you need is love.  But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

 Who knew there were so many cute and clever images on a Tootsie Roll POP!

 For Day 2 of ICADs in 2013, I used candy wrappers.  Back then I was following the prompts and Day 2's prompt was Candyland.  I was definitely in my comfort zone for that prompt.

I created this for my Altered Recipe book.  It's no secret that I can't draw, but when I found this tiny elephant image, I had to use it in a circus theme for my recipes. I drew the "big top" using a blue highlighter, over which I dry brushed silver paint. I found the cotton candy recipe on the Internet and printed it in pink ink.
 
In 2018, I hosted Art Journal Journey with my theme being My Favorite Season or 'Tis the Season.  I created this Trick or Treat to honor Halloween and a bit of trickery.  All candy was eaten for a good cause. 
I am sure many of you remember My House on Candy Lane I created last month.  Once again, as happened last month, I am no longer able to left adjust the text.


Now let's switch gears.  Sadly, I  can't seem to get my left adjustment to switch back!

At one time I was part of a group called Mandala Monday.  We tried to come up with unique mandalas made from things around our homes.

I attended an art opening at a museum in 2018. The artist named this Cotton Candy.  Personally, I think it looks more like taffy.

For Christmas last year,

I bought a bag of Kit Kats for me and a couple of bags of candy to give away in gift boxes.

Not sure why the left adjust finally started to work, but it was nothing I had any control over.

All photos were taken by me, all art created by me.  Bleubeard wants to know when he can make candy out of his catnip I planted.

Thank you beyond belief for stopping by.  I am truly grateful to you, my dear friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join Bleubeard and me at Rain's Thursday Art Date.
 


24 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, boy. I think my brain sent my sweet tooth in hibernation for good seeing all this! LOL!
Before reading this I got some frozen raspberries out of the freezer (the milk has to go) and now I want Pizza!

"Sweet ideas" to make art.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lots of fun and sweet pages. I think a lot of candies get eaten at your place!
I try not to buy any when I have no visitors so that I don't get tempted! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Elkes Lebensglück said...

* wow * is that fun and fabulous your posting about the candies. Whether you can paint or not, you have such a great imagination and how you design with everything you have at your disposal, there is a work of art. I am always thrilled.
Today I am amused as much as I had the 1st vaccination yesterday and I am doing well so far and your posting puts me in an even more good mood.
Have a happy day, hug Elke

aussie aNNie said...

ouch I feel a tooth ache coming on, I don't eat many sweets or chocolates but love your tempting post. xx

Mae Travels said...

Candy wrappers do make nice elements in a collage! I am unable to think of any of them being used in Cubist collages from 100 years ago, when collage art was invented. I wonder why.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Elephant's Child said...

Love your clever (and beautiful) take on the theme.

Gillena Cox said...

Very interesting versions of the prompt Elizabeth

Happy Thursday


much ❤ love

Cathy Kennedy said...

Elizabeth,

Candy wrappers are excellent for repurposing in artwork. Do you remember making paper chains with gum wrappers? That was fun pastime for the older school age girls when I was younger. My auntie taught me how to do this but I have long forgotten how to do that now. I may have to look this up on the Internet. The thing is I usually don't buy gum that's individually wrapped but I could apply the technique to just about anything I guess. Cool paper art, my dear!

Curious as a Cathy

My name is Erika. said...

This challenge is right up your alley Elizabeth. I remember most of these candy pages (but not all) so it is great to see them again. And I am with you about the cotton candy arti piece you saw. It does look way more like taffy. Cotton candy is light and fluffy and this is neither. I like your mandala too. Chocolate tootsie pops are my favorite ones. And it is a good way to think out of the box, coming up with these mandalas. Hope your week is going well. Hugs-Erika

Sandra Cox said...

What a 'sweet' post:) Heh. And, of course, I loved it;)

Sandra Cox said...

What a 'sweet' post:) Heh. And, of course, I loved it;)

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I'm thinking that only you could find so many different ways to use Candy Wrappers and to find a way to use the word "hurt" in a positive way. The only thing missing here is Kitty Candy ... Poor Bleubeard, he has been left out. This was a fun post and as you and I are a relatively new friendship, I hadn't seen most of these posts ... Great Job, Elizabeth :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Divers and Sundry said...

Candy is a good plan any time of year, and I love that you're able to put the wrappers to such good use. I wish I could help with your alignment issues :(

Christine said...

Lovely candy pages Elizabeth! I feel like having some now!

kathyinozarks said...

Very fun Elizabeth

DVArtist said...

What a great post. I actually had forgotten about tootsie pops. LOL Love the art so much.

CJ Kennedy said...

Sweet post. One of my favorite candies to spend my allowance on was a Tootsie pop for 2 cents. Your Tootsie pop mandala clever and delicious.

Rita said...

Wow! That's a lot of wrapper saving. But I guess they are good for eecycling into art, too. Perfect for this challenge. :)

Olde Dame Holly said...

How sweet it is! I have heard cats cannot taste sweetness, but I have a cat who enjoys licking Tootsie Pops, so I'm not sure that's true! So Bleubeard may have a great idea for a new product, Catnip Candy!

Elderberry-Rob said...

I like recycled art displays :) sweets don't feature much in my life these days but Rain's subject this week has got me obsessed with tracking down those pastel coloured sherbet 'flying saucers' - just got to have some..... does bluebeard know how to deter mollie cat from urinating in the same 5 spots on my lawn and killing the grass? any advice from a cat in the know would be welcome (if it doesn't make him feel too disloyal to his species).

NatureFootstep said...

my favourite is the candy mandala. :)

Jeanie said...

I love the tootsie roll pop mandala! Did you figure out how to switch back to justified? Email me if you need help!

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like your take on Rains theme :)

All the best Jan

Rain said...

I love all of your candy art!!! Especially the Tootsie art! :) I love KitKats, one of my favourite chocolate bars. I remember one Halloween when I made a graveyard cake, I surrounded it with KitKat bars to act as a fence! :) I haven't had cotton candy in years, but I do love the stuff! :)