Friday, May 21, 2021

Friday Smiles 422: on my patio

 

Welcome to Friday, everyone.  It's time for Friday Smiles which is hosted by Annie (at A Stitch in Time).   Let's join her and the other wonderful ladies who also share their smiles each Friday.  

I wanted to begin by showing my first rose of the year.  I was absolutely thrilled when I saw it.

I'm sure many of you remember my rusty metal table a friend gave me years ago, and the faded green plastic chairs I found at the curb in my neighborhood with the word "Free" attached to them.  In case you are wondering, this was last year's harvest and my friend Scott cutting leaves from basil so he can make pesto.
 
Over the weekend, I purchased this new table with benches attached.  It's rained so much, the ground is saturated and I can't use my lawn mower until the grass dries a bit.  That meant I had the opportunity to create a huge mess on (what I laughingly call) my patio. 
 
Since I couldn't mow, I brought out all my pots I overwintered in the house, and planted a few plants I had purchased earlier this year and a couple I bought last Friday. 

I've just planted a few seeds, too, including catnip and cantaloupe.  Both my pineapple and orange mint overwintered outside and are coming back strong.

Last year, I tried to grow tomatoes in a bale of hay.  Other people have had great success with growing tomatoes in hay, but all I got was a mess and very few tomatoes at the end  of the year.  Because I wasn't sure what to do with the hay, I decided to add it to pots to which I was planning to plant seeds.  On top of the hay, I added potting soil and bio-char.  I still have a bit more hay, but I may just add it to my compost pile when I clean up the area.  Right now, I'm just glad to get the plants outside that overwintered indoors.

That includes my rosemary and my failed poinsettia plant that I moved out back.

I look forward to having these herbs growing on my table, so I can pinch a few sprigs of herbs as I need them.  I think this is going to work out well for when I return to entertaining, too.

Some of the seed packets from seeds I planted can be seen on my table.  And then, without any warning, the sky turned dark, and I heard thunder.  It was all I could do to gather the seeds I had not yet planted, my camera, and my cleaning equipment and head inside.

Within five minutes, the rain started.  I shot this from inside my laundry room window and you can see how the rain has already made a mess on my patio.

I'm not sure you can see how the water is pooling in the green plastic chairs, but at least the plants and the pots that have yet to be planted are getting a good soaking.

Now let's join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the lovely ladies who join her.  Thanks again for visiting and spending a bit of time with Bleubeard and me this Friday. 


23 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Sorry you got caught in the rain, too! You have done a lot of work in the garden, and I like the new table. The seeds I planted on my balcony get eaten by the birds as soon as they start to sprout! Have a great Friday, take care, hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Loving the promise of your garden - and that rose is an absolute beauty.

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful rose. And nice to "see" your friend.
Greetings from a "for free"-chair here, too. But be careful. One of our old plastic chairs nearly killed me as the plastic gave in.... huuuuuh.
Planting in hay sounds interesting. Yay for rain and happy Friday to you :-)

Annie said...

It sounds like you are having similar weather to us at the mo. One minute the sun is shining and you plan jobs outside the next minute the skies open and the patio is flooded....it's madness. I hope for warmer weather soon. Your first rose is beautiful.
Hugs,
Annie x

mamapez5 said...

What a beautiful rose. Sometimes I think they are at their best when still in bud.
You did well in the garden with all the planting and potting. I am sure everything is happy to be outside again despite the rain. I hope the thunder storm wasn't heavy enough to wash the soil out of the pots, otherwise a good soak will have done them good.
I make an awful mess when I do any potting, but I just wash it all down afterwards.
I hope you get to enjoy the works of your labour! Kate x

Lisca said...

What a gorgeous rose bud. That would make my day if i had one like that. The basil is also doing very well. Nice to see your friend Scott, although a shame we couldn't see his face.
I like your new table.
I'm sorry you got caught out by the rain. The best laid plans etc. Lots of things happening in you garden. In a few months time it will be much lusher. I wish we got a bit of rain. We have had a drought for a few years now and really need the rain. Send some over will ya!
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

CJ Kennedy said...

Lovely rose. My dad used to bring Ma the first rose of the season from their garden. Nice table and your pots and plants look wonderful. Hopefully, the weather has cleared and you've been able to get out in your garden again. Have fun!

Barbara said...

We need rain badly, send some our way! 😉 Hay bales with fresh soil to grow things are apparently good for avoiding unhealthier soil in the actual ground. I’m not a gardener, but have heard of many successes from others. Your rose is stunning!

Annie said...

Oh, your first rose bud is SO pretty. I can smell it from here! What a nice table change you have made. It just doesn’t have the character though that your old rusty has. I hope the old rusty table is tucked into your yard somewhere holding some plants for you. I’ve never heard of growing tomatoes in a hay bale. How very interesting that sounds. The hay is great for holding moisture. The birds should like the hay for their nests now. May all your planting soon be lush and productive.

RO said...

That's the pits that you caught in the rain, but my goodness, I'm loving that table and chairs - very elegant. The rose looks lovely, and kudos on being able to get out to get some things done in the yard. I'm not nearly as organized as you, but I managed to snag a FREE bag of organic potting soil from Social Nature, and I declare, those peas and lettuce plants popped up like magic!(lol) Once I start blogging again, I'll be sure to post pictures. Hope you're doing well, my friend, and sending lots of hugs, RO

DVArtist said...

Yeah, weather is just crazy. Hey, see how you are bending over in that photo. I can not longer do that with my back troubles. I love your new table and benches. Your herbs will look lovely there. It is too wet here to try and grow things in hay. Plus it gives homes form the rats and other critters. Your rose is gorgeous. Have a great day.

My name is Erika. said...

I love the new table. It looks great for not only planting on but also for eating and even crafting. Nice and big. And hurrah for having a rose. That is so exciting. I'm glad you shared it. I lost one of my rose plants over the winter, which is sad, but the others have gotten so big you can't really notice where it is gone. I've been planting a lot this week. Seeds and plants, in the garden and in pots. I still have some to do because I must admit, I get a bit carried away every year buying plants. It is an addiction. And this year I am justifying it saying the bees will like the flowers. OK, enough babbling. Fun post today my friend. Have a great start to your weekend. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

Your rose is gorgeous! I kinda liked the old table ;) but the new one is nice, too. My rosemary died, and I was shocked to see what a new one the same size would cost. Wow! I bought 2 little ones instead. My seeds have done well so far, and I hope to have flowers for butterflies soon. I still haven't found lantana or pentas, which I get every year, but I'll keep looking. We're patio people :) It's such a nice place to putter and just be.

Mae Travels said...

Beautiful rose! Enjoy your new picnic table.

best...mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, I'm on catch up tonight as it's been busy today. I started by walking dogs then hairdressers, fish farm and then drove over to mum's as she was in hospital for a test and we wanted to be there when she got back but I'm here now. Beautiful rose and a lovely new table. The rain's been coming down here too. You just think it'e okay to start something and then down it comes, my fish like it though. Have a lovely weekend and hugs, Angela xxx

Tammy said...

That rose is gorgeous, I love the hot pink color! Nothing is better than fresh herbs, enjoy your new table and your weekend.
Tammy x

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful and refreshing post.. enjoy life...Bella is a small lab breed, UK breed so won't grow big at all, she is long but not tall.. xx

Rita said...

What a lovely new picnic table! You already love it and are putting it to good use, too. :)

Tom said...

...I've busy in my garden too. This morning I stared at 6am to beat the heat.

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you made it in before you and your camera got soaked! We're in drought here, although today looks like it COULD rain. I like your new table -- lots of space and a good height. Having the benches attached is nice. Have a great weekend.

craftytrog said...

Your rose is beautiful Elizabeth! We spotted our first two irises this morning. Flowers are such a joy to have!
Your new table looks good, hopefully you can do some entertaining in the Summer. Nice to 'see' Scott too.
Alison xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Here in the UK we have been having some very wet and windy weather and parts of Scotland have had snow!

Your first rose of the year is fabulous, what a lovely colour.

All the best Jan

Halle said...

Lovely new table...it will wash off really easily. Hope you got your pots planted.