Friday, April 9, 2021

Windows of the World

 

I'd like to begin by thanking everyone for your well wishes and explain my experience with the Covid vaccine.  I want to begin by saying I have a fear of needles.  I've been known to faint when someone pricks my arm.  Having said that, this was the first month I was eligible for the J & J vaccine.  They only have 1000 doses a month, so, if possible, I didn't want to have to wait until May to get my shot.  I called three times over the weekend and on Monday.  I was quite lucky and got a spot at 9:30 a.m. yesterday.

When I got there, as Barbara pointed out, it was all very well organized.  However, when I told the nurse I have been known to faint, she decided to take me into a private room and administer the dose.  The cot she put me on was so soft, I sunk into it so far I was sure I would never get out.  I felt the pinch, but didn't faint.  Then she insisted I ride in a wheelchair to the parking lot.  Here I was strong and able, while there were elderly people who needed help far more than I.  I felt bad that I got such privileged treatment, because I felt fine.  I still feel fine.  

When I got home, after a trip to I-Hop for take-out birthday pancakes, I ate, then went to sleep with my furboys.  I had been up all night because my appointment was at a time I would normally be sleeping and I didn't want to fall asleep and miss the vaccine.  I feel nothing.  I am not sick, I have no redness around the arm, and there is no soreness anywhere.  For me, the J & J was the way to go.  It was one and done.  Thanks for your kind remarks yesterday.  I certainly appreciate them.  Now for some recycling.

It's time to once again join Erika, aka BioArtGal and Chris, aka Pearshapedcrafting our hosts this month at Art Journal Journey.  Our theme this month is Inspired By (Eileen).

Today I'm visiting Windows of the World, the title of my journal page.

These windows open

to places all over the world.

Many of these are places I would love to visit, if only we could safely travel again. 

Wouldn't it be fun to open a window and travel to places we only dream of?

Pick a destination, open a window and step into another world. I know Eileen loved to travel and shared her trips with us on her blog.

For this page I created in my watercolor journal, everything except the journal was recycled.  I created each window using six recycled security envelopes I paired with images from freebie travel brochures.  I created each window, then added each to the page where I thought they fit best.   
 
For Day 9 of 22, I recycled six security envelopes that had windows.  I paired them with images from freebie travel brochures. I used a glue stick to adhere each assembly, as well as to the page.  Thank you ever so much for joining me today.  I am truly grateful for your visit and your support of this project.

20 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

Glad to hear you got your vaccine without any issues or side effects.

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely post full of interest. Glad you got your vaccination, we can't get ours yet...xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely journal page. Glad the vaccination was easy and you had no side effects. Have a great Friday, hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Love your windows - and am very, very glad that your vaccine has been done and dusted.

Iris Flavia said...

I´m with you. It´s embarrassing to get help when not really needed.
People sometimes say, why didn´t you ask me for help?

As long as I can do it myself I do, so they know that when I ask for help I really do need it.

Security envelopes... clever!!!
I might copy you, if you don´t mind (haha, if I get snail mail again).

Glad your vaccine went fine.

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I never would have thought to save envelopes and use as windows-very clever way to recycle-Happy Friday

Barbara said...

As expected, great vaccination news! Next, beautiful artwork! Life goes on with added protection and confidence.

CJ Kennedy said...

So glad you didn't have any side effects from the vaccine. As other have already said, what a clever way to make windows using security envelopes.

Jeanie said...

I am so relieved you got your shot and that you had no adverse effects. Well done! I'm sure you already feel some great relief. It will magnify in two weeks. Not that you will stop with the masks or whatever but it is like you can breathe again.

pearshapedcrafting said...

So pleased all went well - you clearly had your big girl pants on as you drove yourself ....and stopped off for pancakes on the way home! Good idea to tell the nurse though.
I love this page, a fabulous idea! I am hoping to go somewhere, anywhere, before the end of the year!!
Hugs, Chrisx

Annie said...

I’m with you about the needles! I’m glad you’ve had a good experience with the vaccine. How clever to recycle window envelopes to use as windows to your travel dreams! I agree how nice it would be to just open a window and find yourself traveling the world. I don’t have great desires to travel the world, but I do love to travel more locally to see my own state and a few others. Let’s hope we can do that again soon, safely.

My name is Erika. said...

Glad the shot went well Elizabeth. Now you are only 2 weeks away from being able to being less vulnerable to covid. Hurrah. I had a sore arm the day after my first, and I have my second shot in a week and a half. I'll be glad to be done, which is why the J&J is good to be one and done. We can't pick our shot type here in NH for the most part. Nice that you could do that. And I love your windows on the world page. I did have to smile that we both had clear acetate problems today. I can see exactly what you mean. I like the photos of places in the world. One day I hope we can all get back to seeing what things we want to see. Have a great start to your weekend. Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

Glad the shot went so well for you! That is so good to hear. :)

Olde Dame Holly said...

If you don't mind, I think I will use your idea in the classroom! What a wonderful idea for recycling the window envelopes. I am glad your J&J shot did not make you faint or sick. And I'm glad the nurse took needle phobia seriously and was respectful and proactive.

nwilliams6 said...

Fabulous way to recycle windows and great pictures! Super fun idea! Glad your vaccine experience was so good. I got mine Monday but got one of the two shots and had a good experience too. I did get a nasty sinus infection a few days ago and thought it might be related - got tested just in case but only a sinus infection. Whew! Hugz

craftytrog said...

A wonderful page Elizabeth, great use of the envelope windows.
Glad your vaccination went well.
Alison xx

Cindy McMath said...

Lovely page Elizabeth - glad you got your vaccine! I think mine is happening next month. :)

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wonderful artwork.

Congratulations on being able to get the one and done J&J vaccine. Here in Connecticut, one has to take whatever is being offered, or wait and try again, if one wants to get a specific type.

And you shouldn't feel like you got better treatment than others there: it sounds like they handled you the correct way, based on the information you gave them. Better to have you on that cot, so that if you did faint, you had nowhere to fall to, versus you being in a chair and possibly getting hurt if you fell out of it from fainting.

DVArtist said...

I love this. Well done indeed.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm glad to hear you had a good vaccination experience. They had us sit for 15 minutes in a separate waiting area, where we were monitored for any immediate reaction.

I love your window views. I'll imagine I'm there looking out on a romantic scene instead of here where it's raining lol