Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Red

 

I'm once again joining my friend Sheila, who many of you know as Orange Esmeralda, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.   

Sheila's theme is A Single Flower.  And since Try it on Tuesday's latest challenge is Say it with Flowers, I'm once again joining them, too.
 
I call this grid collage Red.

The background looks pink compared to the flower,

but that's because the red watercolor I used in the background

was a red leaning in the pink spectrum, while the flower was leaning to the red in the orange spectrum.
The rest of the grid, including the butterflies

and button were what I call the support staff

for the single flower.
I started this page by laying down red watercolor on 110 lb. cardstock.  I cut the flower from an old calendar.  There had been two flowers and a few dying blooms that I tried to hide by surrounding them with scrapbook paper, and drawing attention away from the dead blooms by using the butterflies I cut from a note pad.  To fill the rest of the page, I added the shorthand text.  The button was an after thought when I felt the grid needed something more.  The word Red was created from a deconstructed word game card.  In fact, several things I used in this spread were recycled. 
 
Thanks beyond belief for joining Bleubeard and me today.  We are really grateful you stopped by.  We would also like to see you at Art Journal Journey and Try it on Tuesday with your take on these two flower inspired themes. Bleubeard wanted to chase the butterflies, but I explained they don't flutter.  He gave up and decided to take a nap.  I hope we didn't put you to sleep.


21 thoughtful remarks:

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful post and designed creation. x

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, I can´t wait for flowers and butterflies! A promise of both, thank you, this made me smile big!

Elephant's Child said...

Flowers and butterflies are among my most favourite things. Thank you for sharing this gorgeous creation.

Julia Dunnit said...

I love that your page includes the shorthand practice page...is it your own? I just read on Helen’s WOYWW that you haven’t been well and decided it was high time to pop over and encourage your recovery. I’m so sorry to read of your friend Eileen too, what a shock for your T community. Sending hugs, coffee and soup! Xxxx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I love the addition of the shorthand, now i'm wondering if anyone has ever created a stamp.. now that would be great to include in my word/script stamps, you got me thinking now. Love that big statement flower, makes a great collage page for Sheila's theme. Hope to play along before the weekend it's a busy weekend here.
I'm really sorry to read about Eileen, such sad news we lost a good friend after surgery early February, complications and then covid finally took her. There's so much sadness for everyone right now, no one seems untouched.
That stunning red bloom gives us hope for brighter days to come.
Take care Hugs TRacey xx

sheila 77 said...

Hello Elizabeth,
It’s a long time since I’ve seen shorthand. That was a great invention at the time.
“Red” is fun and I always like your collage art.
I had a smile at the button being corralled in as joint support staff with the butterflies.
I like the use of text with the word “Red” too.
You are endlessly inventive.
Thanks very much for your Single Flower today.
Love,
Sheila

My name is Erika. said...

Love the paper layering and all the details on those papers too. That is one big gorgeous flower. I think we all need a big bloom right right for so many different reasons. In some ways one flower is hard to do on a page, but in other ways it is a nice mental challenge, for me at least. I think you aced Sheila's challenge, and one flower is right up your alley. Hope your week is going well. Oh yes, and I mentioned those books you are reading to my husband. They sound like his type of read. Thanks. Hugs-Erika

craftytrog said...

A wonderful composition Elizabeth! xx

DVArtist said...

Very pretty. I love the red/orange/pink. Have a great day today.

Sandra Cox said...

Another great piece. The colors just pop.
Take special care, dear Elizabeth.

Jeanie said...

Another great page, Elizabeth. I really love those blooms, they remind me of summer!

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous page with a beautiful flower. I may not be around much the next couple of days! Back soon, hugs, Valerie

Elkes Lebensglück said...

A beautiful, romantic journal page, hug Elke

CJ Kennedy said...

Nice page to daydream by. I like the butterflies on the Gregg shorthand page. The shorthand strokes look like the fluttering paths of the butterflies.

Spyder said...

Thought I'd pop in and say Hi! I think I've said this before, I was sure I was following you from ages back (years!)I sometimes joined in with T time. and I know I 'followed' last time I popped in, unless I'm dreamimg it in my sleep! I'll press it now!
Sorry to read about your friend, my dad passed away after an op, he had a stone in his kidney so while he was 'under' they decided to 'flush' it out. When they told me this I said, 'you do know he's only got one kidney' The nurse in charge then went very quiet and quicky disappeared. To this day I still think they didn't know. Anyway! Life sends us all challenges! Stay safe!
((Lyn))

Rita said...

Those are such pretty flowers. Nice page. :)

Divers and Sundry said...

I like your composition here and that big red flower.

Neet said...

That is a big bold flower you have shown us on your page. What a glorious pop of colour it provides and do I spot some shorthand there?
Just wondering how you are Elizabeth and have you regained your full quota of healthiness yet? hope you are feeling much better in yourself by now.
Hugs to all, Neet xxx

Meggymay said...

Its a gorgeous flower and page. The colour lifts the spirits. Its a fantastic inspiration page for Sheila's theme and thank you so much for linking it with TioT's as well.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

What an absolutely gorgeous page! Ha! Ha! Support staff to the flower - love it!!! Thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday, Chrisx

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous collaged page! The big red flower looks so pretty with all those butterflies 😀. Happy wishes and thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday too! Hugs, Jo x