Saturday, February 20, 2021

Saturday Afternoon at the Movies: two mini-series to compare and contrast

 

I thought I would do my version of Saturday Afternoon at the Movies.  I thought I would compare two mini-series and how well they stand up to today's standards.

I know many of my internet friends are enjoying the "All Creatures Great and Small" series offered by Masterpiece at PBS (Public Broadcasting System).  It's James Herriot's story of being a veterinarian in the 1930s to 1940s in Yorkshire, England.  What surprises me is, the same people who are so enamored with this series fail to appreciate the show that precedes it, also a Masterpiece entry.

For those who aren't watching PBS on Sunday night, the show is called Miss Scarlet and the Duke.  It's about one of the first female private detectives (and possibly THE first) in Victorian England.  
 
Eliza Scarlet has taken over her recently deceased father's private detective agency.  Left nearly penniless after her father's sudden death, she turns to a friend and would-be suitor, Rupert Parker, with whom she shares his secret, the fact that he is a homosexual, which is strictly forbidden (and punishable by death) in Victorian England.  Rupert bankrolls her agency and helps keep it afloat.
 
As infuriating to Eliza as it may seem, she must join forces with a Scotland Yard Inspector, William "Duke" Wellington to solve cases she has been asked/hired to solve.  Oftentimes she finds herself being shut out of places to visit and persons she needs to interview in order to solve the case at hand.  Eliza is not above deceit and deception when it comes to helping her clients, much to the chagrin and dismay of the Duke.  This is especially true when he is the recipient of these deceptions.

Although marriage is normally the only option for a woman’s financial security in Victorian England, Eliza refuses to bend.  To her benefit, she has a decent middle class upbringing, which affords her all the comforts of many refined Victorian ladies.  This also helps her reputation, especially since before her father became a private detective, he was a Chief Inspector at Scotland Yard.

Eliza is played by Kate Phillips and Duke is played by Stuart Martin.  As I was watching this series, it struck me how it seemed like another series I had enjoyed.

Those of you who are privy to TNT network may have seen The Alienist.  The first season contained 10 episodes and was considered what TNT called a "psychological thriller."  The premise was three very different people came together to solve the murders of street children by a serial killer.  

Unlike Eliza Scarlet, Sara Howard (played by Dakota Fanning) is considered a part of high society.  She becomes Theodore Roosevelt's secretary and the first female employed by the NYPD (New York Police Dept.). Although currently a secretary, she hoped to be the first NYPD  police detective.  Sara, along with Laszlo Kreizler, an alienist (or psychiatrist), and John Schuyler Moore, a cartoonist and illustrator employed by The New York Times newspaper, form the team who hunt down the serial killer.  Although there are many subplots, these three are the ones who solve the murders.  During that time, they expose corruption in the police department, along with a former police chief's killing of a homosexual.  Daniel Brühl plays Kreizler, Dakota Fanning (as noted above) plays Sara, and Luke Evans plays Moore.
 
In the second season, Sara leaves the NYPD and starts her own detective agency.  Sara, Kreizler, and newly promoted New York Times reporter Moore team up when they search for the Spanish consul's kidnapped infant daughter.  The second season focused on the role of women in society, the corruption of institutions, especially mental institutions, yellow journalism, and income inequality.   
 
Like Eliza Scarlet, Sara Howard has her own demons to contend with.  Each has a loss, Eliza her father, Sara, her love interest John Moore, who learns he has gotten his former fiance Violet pregnant. Both women are surrounded by men who are stuck in their own times, while both women are pioneers in their fields and ahead of their times in their thinking.  Both of these series are worth viewing, especially if you are a woman. 

You can catch several episodes of Miss Scarlet and the Duke on PBS.  You can watch several episodes of The Alienist on TNT.  Thanks for stopping by today.  Bleubeard and I appreciate it.
 


14 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I am not usually a television fan. However Miss Scarlett has tempted me. Thanks for the review.
I do hope you are feeling much, much better.

Iris Flavia said...

I have never heard of the series, they both sound interesting.

Karen said...

Sounds good ~ I'll have to look for both shows and give them a watch. Enjoy the weekend :)

Mae Travels said...

Great review of these TV shows. Interesting to learn of so many women who were ahead of their time.

I hope you are feeling better.

Stay safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Birgit said...

I have actually seen these on tv but haven’t watched them. I like the original Creatures, Great and Small. I always have to get used to Dakota Fanning Being all grown up

Olde Dame Holly said...

I am always on the lookout lately for good series to watch while stitching. Thank you!

CJ Kennedy said...

I watched a little of The Alienist and it didn't capture my imagination. I haven't seen Miss Scarlet and the Duke

pearshapedcrafting said...

Ooh! We've added both of these to our watch list. Thanks for the reviews! Chrisx

Jeanie said...

What an interesting contrast. I hadn't thought of that. We've been watching Miss Scarlet and I saw the first Alienist a long while ago. It might be worth a revisit.

DVArtist said...

Yeah I will see if these are on demand.

Linda Kunsman said...

Came by to see how you're doing Elizabeth. I hope you're feeling much better .
I am thoroughly enjoying both of these series!!

Rita said...

I loved the old version of Creature Great and Small. I'll watch this new one when it comes to Netflix...same with Scarlett and The Duke. I really enjoyed The Alienist, too. :)

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm loving the All Creatures Great and Small re-make but am unimpressed by "Miss Scarlet". We don't have cable so don't have access to TNT.

craftytrog said...

I haven't seen those series, I'm going to see if I can find them online somewhere. All Creatures Great and Small is a great favourite of ours too.
Alison xx