Monday, December 7, 2020

Remembering December 7, 1941

 

Most of my fellow American readers, followers, and lurkers are too young to have remembered the attack on Pearl Harbor.  In fact, most of us weren't born yet, although I suspect either your parents or grandparents were alive and will remember it.

Since at least 2015, then 2016, through 2017, 2018, and 2019 which may be the most comprehensive of all, I have written a post, much of which is quite similar.  This year, I suggest you visit the links from 2019 or 2018 for two different posts.

I learned something new this year that had not been brought to my attention before.  Going through internet archives, I learned that the Navy will inter people on their ships that have sunk.  According to USA Today, the final person who was to be interred in the USS Arizona died last year.  The man said very few people visit cemeteries, but many people go to the Arizona memorial found in Honolulu.  Here is the quote by USA Today:

The Navy began interring Pearl Harbor survivors on their old ships in 1982. The wrecks of only two vessels remain in the harbor — the Arizona and USS Utah — so survivors of those ships are the only ones who have the option to be laid to rest this way. Most of the ships hit that day were repaired and put back into service or scrapped.
Further:

Neither underwater archaeologists at the Navy History and Heritage Command or those who handle burials for the Navy Personnel Command were aware of any interments conducted on sunken Navy vessels elsewhere.

Here is a photo from the internet showing the USS Arizona memorial in Hawaii.

Thank you for joining me today.  I learned something and I hope if any of you know or are related to a Navy man, you will pass this information on to him, too.  Bleubeard and I are truly grateful you stopped by.  This is one of those events, like 9/11 we must never forget.


9 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Never forget, but look to the future! Have a good and safe week, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

As you can guess, being half-German, I have a "war-guilt". Kriegsschuld.
None of my family, not even the men, were forced to participate,and I met none of them either (my Dad was but a kid, and yes, I met him ;-), come one, we need to joke).

War is so stupid and I reckon if women ruled the world it might be different.
But I learned why innocent young men joined to fight other innocent young men and it´s so dumb, sad and mean.

I do not understand how they can put their knowledge into creating such machines/ships/whatever to kill others for nothing.

I was on the USS Constellation in 1999. The marines were nice men - and I ... did not dare to ask how they live in there, only saw the common places - Hubby said, "why didn´t you ask, they´d showed you!!!"
This was pre 9/11, you see. They all were nice.
I read about soldiers - male soldiers - who went to Afghanistan to free women.
They, at least, have a goal.
In Germany they said, "go,or we´ll take your wife and kids!" (my Father´s Father was too weak plus as goldsmith was needed in town).

Oh. One of my cousins was the first in Germany to say NO (he was in Stern-magazine even).
He served not at all (I don´t know) or like my Brother in hospital instead.

Iris Flavia said...

Watchmaker, he was a watchmaker and optometrist (and goldsmith, but do you need that?!).
Even today - thanks to "Corinna" my Brother may work still - optometrist... right. If the firefighter driving the truck drops his glasses and they break he needs new ones RIGHT NOW...

DVArtist said...

That is something I didn't know. I have been to the memorial several times. It is powerful and quite overwhelming no matter how often a person goes there. Thank you for always bringing history to our lives. Have a great day.

CJ Kennedy said...

I never knew about the burial at sea if you served aboard the Arizona or Utah.

Mae Travels said...

We were just observing that the main newspapers and news sources online did not seem to mention or commemorate that today is Pearl Harbor Day. I remember it being quite a bit noticed in the past. It's a painful memory.

I have flown over the harbor at Honolulu, but never stayed on Oahu. We've always gone on to other islands. Some time I'd like to tour the harbor, and see what you are talking about. Thank you for posting this.

be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Divers and Sundry said...

I had no idea they'd begun burials at these sites. Interesting.

Eileen Bergen said...

We had the honor of visiting the USS Arizona Memorial in the 1980s. So our guide explained the interment rules. Thanks for reminding me. I didn't know the second part about there being only two such ships. We must never forget. Hugs, Eileen

Lisca said...

No, I didn't know either about the interments conducted on sunken ships. Very interesting.So if the survivors of USS Arizona have all died, I assume there are still some survivors of USS Utah.