Thursday, December 17, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: a portrait


It's Thursday and that means we're meeting at Rain's for her Thursday Art Date.  This week, the theme is A Portrait.  This is probably NOT what everyone expected when they saw this theme, but I don't draw or sketch (and have no desire to, either).

Back in 2009, I created a series of portrait ATCs.  Here is one of them.  I called this one My eyes.

Another ATC in the series, this one is called Flower Man.

I created this when I reviewed a book for a year long challenge in which I participated.

Another in my portrait series, I call this one Bird Man.

Also from May, 2009, I called this one Colorful because he was so pale.

I called this ATC Hidden Assets because I thought the man had a shifty look in his eye.

Also in my portrait series, I called this one Bugged because of the German Scrap bug gifted me by my art friend Cindy sitting on a leaf I pressed the previous autumn.

I called this portrait Wild Thing because of his hair.

I thought my NEW scanner was on its last legs, but this is disgusting.  The  dimensionality of the game pieces were apparently too much for that old scanner.  It's obvious I named this portrait The Numbers Guy.

I'd say it's obvious this portrait is called Patriot although I'm not sure why I named it that, other than he looks like he came from the 1700s.

I had to laugh when I saw I had named this one Wired because of the wire coil I used to replace his right eyebrow.

From the 18th to the 21st century, I named this one Flamboyant.

I'm surprised how many ATCs I've made over the years that involve portraits.  The travel log was created years ago for a swap. There are four pages inside.

My friend Kathy drew this for Bleubeard back in 2009.  I had to include this portrait, although my only contribution was the photo or scan I created to document Bleubeard's beauty.

Another ATC I created using a little girl and her portrait.  It appears I named it Inspiration.

There are quite a few portraits in this entry.  In fact, it is for the letter P in an alpha challenge.  Both the postman and the portraits were designated for that letter.  The postman is a tape transfer.

Another page in the Alpha Dictionary challenge was Unforgettable, a photo of these women's portraits.

And finally:

the only faces I've ever drawn.  This was in reference to my support for the satirical French newspaper Charlie Hebdo located in Paris, after it sustained a brutal shooting that killed staff and police guarding the paper in 2015.
 
I realize I can't draw, but I thought these images looked funky enough to represent the magazine.  And because my altered book is slightly larger than my scanner, here are the words I wrote:

My name is Charlie.
I stand for freedom.
They tried to kill me.
Instead, it made me stronger.
Now my voice is heard around the world.

The font I chose is called Shotgun, which I thought was appropriate.
 
As much as I would love to continue, I believe I have enough portraits this week.  Bleubeard doesn't care if I stop now or not, because he's just thrilled he's been included in this post.

Thank you beyond belief for visiting today.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join me at Rain's Thursday Art Date.  She would love to have you join her, too.


19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Great ideas with the ATCs. Bluegrass is beautifully captured in his portrait. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Elkes Lebensglück said...

A wonderful posting with the portraits and the cat is drawn so cute. This is wonderful work full of ideas.
I wish you a good day, hug Elke

Iris Flavia said...

Clever ones.
But why not the nose, too?
Men, flowers and math, welcome to my home! (Numbers... one man only, of course).

The third one is wonderful, I sadly cannot read the text (and that´s not the point, I understand).
Ohhh, I love raven! (and... you know). Brrr... the bug! ;-)
Your old scanner did a great job, if by accident. Ohhh, and Bleubeard! Beautiful!
The postman. Rang the bell this morno and dumped some package in the hall. (I know, they have huge stress, but still).
Love all of these!

Elderberry-Rob said...

Interesting interpretation of portrait from your corner for Rain's theme this week, I like it :)

DVArtist said...

Wow!!!! I think you did an excellent post on portraits. There are so many avenues to take with this and yours is unique, fun and full of artistic value. Have a great day today. Ohh you know when you asked how you missed one of my posts? I have noticed that in my own side bar but other's too, that blogger doesn't switch a new post over for sometimes days. I am missing posts too because of it.

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the variety of ATCs you made.

gigi-hawaii said...

Very creative way to present portraits. I like them a lot.

Gillena Cox said...

Nice portraits. I did a santa. Think i will have some fun and add some digital versions

Much💗love

Sandra Cox said...

All kinds of goodies today.
Loved your take on portraits.

Birgit said...

Hello! I hope you are doing well this Christmas time. I love all the wild ways you showcased these oldies but goodies with the Raven on the man's head to the wire eyebrow man. The Little girl in Inspiration, I think, is Baby Peggy who was a huge star in the 20s. She just passed away this year.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

With so many great magazines and photography around us its very easy to use those images rather than draw them, your ATCs look grand with a different face upon them. Your friends bleubeard drawing is super, cats sure know how to pose.
Hugs Tracey x

CJ Kennedy said...

Such fun portraits and titles. I really laughed at Colorful. Yes, he could do with a shot of B12. Thanks for the smiles today.

Christine said...

Lovely portrait ATC's Elizabeth!

Jeanie said...

I think this is a terrific selection of portraits! So many different styles and options! Happy T Day.

My name is Erika. said...

I really enjoyed seeing these today Elizabeth. I haven't seen them before and they were worth the look. You did some great ATC's and other portraits. Were they supposed to be drawn? I haven't done Rain's challenge so I don't know the rules. And I am also impressed by Kathy's drawing. I don't know if she captured Bleubeard's energy, but it is a nice drawing. Hope it was a great day. Hugs-Erika

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your friend made a beautiful portrait of Bleubeard and I don't blame him for being thrilled to be included even though he is in every post one way or another. He is a lucky kitty and lives the life of Riley with you. All of your portraits are great and probably took you a long time to make and then to gather together again. I am mostly touched by the Charlie Hebdo portrait ... I do remember that awful occasion and the words you attached to it are so true. Well done (again) my friend and my hats off to your beautiful Bleubeard :p

Andrea @ From the Sol

craftytrog said...

Wonderful portrait art Elizabeth! xx

NatureFootstep said...

lots of portraits in this post. My favorites are Flamboyant and Bleubeard´s portrait. :)

Take care nd wish you Happy Holidays.

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth! :) I love your portrait series! Hidden Assets is great, he definitely looks shifty! :) And that old vintage looking Postman is really neat! Your friend's portrait of Bleubeard is really nice! :)