Thursday, December 31, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Full Cold Moon


It's Thursday and that means we're meeting at Rain's for her Thursday Art Date.  This week, the theme is Full Cold Moon.

These are the very first photos I ever took with my new camera.

My old camera took such lousy shots, everything was fuzzy.
I was simply thrilled with how clear everything turned out.

Of course, I had to wait until I got home and removed the photos from my camera, to know what great shots I had taken.




These were taken one snowy early evening in December right after I got my new camera.  I was over the moon with happiness with how these turned out.

I was chasing the super moon

by simply holding the camera in my hand.

No tripod, no steady cam, just me.

When I moved to a different location, I got foliage in the shot.  Granted, this doesn't look all that cold, but it is a super moon.

Not quite a full moon, but I don't take many moon shots. 

Definitely not a full moon, but one I shot during winter.  If you want to see great moon shots, visit my friend Valerie.  Hers are the best.

Of course, I couldn't resist this moon shot from the Cosmosphere, which is located in Hutchinson, Kansas (USA).

Now for some journal and altered book art.

Honoring 50 years since the first moon landing.

I created this in my Challenges altered book.

I realize it doesn't exactly look like a midnight sky, but I was just lucky it looked like a moon.

Even though it looks like summer in that slick image I found in a magazine, I created this in January of 2019.  Does anyone even remember that the President closed the government back then?  It was the longest shut-down in history.  All Federal buildings were closed, all National Parks, all National Museums, and the National Zoo.  All TSA and air traffic control officers were required to work even though they were not paid.  That was one cold way for the president to treat his employees, thus the cold full moon.

All altered book and journal art created by me.  All photos taken by me.  Bleubeard slept through most of it, because he doesn't go outside where the moon is.

Bless each of you for stopping by today.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join me at Rain's Thursday Art Date.

Finally, because this is the final post of the year, let me leave you with some of MY words of wisdom as I look back on this year:

Hindsight is 2020, therefore the past is prologue.

25 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Yay to a new cam! And very, VERY great shots!!! Love the one with the tree most.
:-) Ingo´s parents dragged him out of bed in the middle of the night to watch the landing on the moon, he was barely 4 and thought "WHY?" For a stupid comic?!"
And my Dad dragged us out of bed on cold nights to watch the moon, too, years later.
Now I can smile, thank you for this. Happy Moon and New Year!

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely art and photos, have a wonderful day! Hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

Great moon shots, neither my phone (with any of the lenses) or phone, which is supposed to have an excellent camera, takes decent shots of the moon. Wishing you a very happy, healthy and safe, new year.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Your photos of the moon are wonderful, unfortunately it was hidden behind the clouds for me!
Your art is very good and interesting on the subject!
I wish you a happy new year 2021, take care of yourselves and stay healthy, hugs Elke

Barbara said...

Beautiful moon shots!I can never hold a camera still enough, enjoy that camera!

Karen said...

Great pictures! I love all the birds flying by the moon. Terrific journal piece too ~ Happy New Year!

Cathy Kennedy said...

Elizabeth,

I'm not much of a night sky photographer, either. Your fuzzy pictures aren't bad but you did a fabulous job capturing the moon with your new camera. Excellent job hand holding your camera. My hand moves often when I squeeze the shutter and now I find it a little difficult to hold my camera for too long. I do remember when the government shut down. It was a shame the government run attractions were closed but it's fine by me to keep those Bozos (aka politicians) out of Washington and at home so they can't send our money to other countries and other wasteful spending. Ok, nuff said there. :) I hope you and Bleubeard have a blessed and wonderful new year, my friend. Take care!! {{HUGS}}

nanskidrewski said...

Such a great New Year’s Eve post. I love everything about it. lLove how you have captured the moon in your photographs. The moon this holiday season has looked amazing. Your quotes are great. Happy New Year Elizabeth and better days for 2021. Hugs.

CJ Kennedy said...

Awesome moon photos. I thought they were good with the old camera, too. Wonderful journal pages, too. Here's to a creative new year!

My name is Erika. said...

Wow, I am impressed. I have never mastered moon shots, with any camera. The one with the bird flying is really something special. I love all the art too. I think this is a great post to end the year with! Wishing you a happy new year and start to January my friend. Hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

You and your new camera seem to have bonded nicely! It takes two: camera and photographer, and it looks like you’ve got it!

Have a great New Year’s Eve and better times in the future.

be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Just beautiful shots of the full moon Elizabeth! Happy New Year!

Elderberry-Rob said...

Your new camera was certainly an investment :) I didn't join in this week but am loving all the artwork. Wishing you a very happy and healthy New Year.

LA Paylor said...

stunning photos!!!
the quote is inspirational... we just watched a NASA special on PBS about what is behind the farthest planet... so interesting... there is always something beyond our current awareness
LeeAnna

Halle said...

Those moon shots are amazing! I'm in awe!

DVArtist said...

Wow these are amazing shots and wonderful art. I know it's been tough for you lately but I want you to join me in looking forward to brighter and happier days. The very best to you my friend for 2021.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Great photos Elizabeth the new camera is sure doing its job, every journal page tells it's own tale. I'd have loved to have joined in with this theme of Rain's but sadly time just ran out. Wishing you all the best for 2021 & thank you again for the opportunity as Guest Host @ AJJ during December, I loved it greatly Hugs Tracey xx

Sharon Madson said...

Great photos, Elizabeth. I really like the quotes about the moon, too. Happy New Year!

Rita said...

Wow! Fantastic new camera!
Happy new year, Elizabeth! :)

NatureFootstep said...

I personally find it hart to take good shots of the moon. It is either too much clouds or glare aroung it. You did great. :)
I can se craters and mountains on it.
Happy New Year :)

Rain said...

Happy New Year Elizabeth and Bleubeard!!! :))
I'm over the Moon at your photos! ;) Wow...I LOVE the ones with the birds!! I CANNOT take a photo at night without a tripod...shaky hands here lol...that last closeup of the Moon is awesome! Your Moon art is very lovely!

Divers and Sundry said...

Great shots! We had heavy rain, so no moon views for us. Thx!

Jeanie said...

That camera really rocks! Moon rocks! I love every photo -- my moon pix are never that great. But the one with the birds -- talk about luck as a photographer. Fabulous!

Lowcarb team member said...

Amazing photographs :)

All the best Jan

Neet said...

Great camera - great photos - the moon onesk are terrific but I like the very first one with the orange glow bathing the buildings and trees. My garden was like that the other morning but I didn't get to capture it on camera - shame.
Love all the info - and the pages you did - off to see your friend's moon pictures.
Hugs, Neet xx