Sunday, November 8, 2020

Monday Murals: 316 ICT


Before we join Monday Murals, I want to congratulate President Elect Joe Biden, along with Vice-President Elect Kamala Harris.

I'm sure most of the free world is also breathing a sigh of relief, as Biden promises on Day 1 of his presidency to rejoin the Paris Climate Accord and the W.H.O., in addition to restoring other programs dumped by Trump and his administration.

If anyone can restore our reputation on the world stage, I believe it will be Joe Biden.  I also believe he can truly bring the country together again, even though some will never care for him.  I'm not a Democrat, but a Libertarian.  However, when I learned he was running for president, I not only supported him, I stood by him, while many of my democratic friends vacillated among several of the more than 22 initial candidates.  Even when it looked like he would be out of the race before it ever started, I never gave up hope.  Now my steadfast support for him has come to fruition.  I promise to now step down off my soapbox and return to the previously scheduled post.

It's time once again to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 11:01 a.m. my time today.

This is called 316 ICT.

It may sound like a strange name, but you have to understand Wichita, Kansas (USA) to appreciate the significance.

316 is our telephone area code. Since Wichita and the surrounding metro area is the largest in the state, the 316 is designated to us.

As you can see, Wichita has it's own telephone area code and the Kansas side of Kansas City and the surrounding eastern part of Kansas has its own area code.

ICT refers to the airport code for Wichita.  Every airport in the world has their own airport code.

For the life of me, I couldn't make out the names of the people who painted this, but it is attributed to a group called Brickmob, who have created several works around the downtown area.

One thing I was completely sure of is it was painted for Avenue Art Days.

I was impressed by how well the art was created on that brick wall.

As I was walking back to the car, I noticed this.

This is a cupcake food truck.  If you want a delicious cupcake, according to their web site, they are $3.00 (USD) each or $25.00 (USD) for 12.  I couldn't find where the Brown Box Bakery was located, only that they sold their wares out of their food truck.

However, the mural is located at 1108 East Douglas Ave., Wichita, Kansas (USA).  It's also where I found the food truck.

If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.

 This is also Day 8 of AEDM, where I shared a mural I photographed in Wichita, Kansas (USA). 


28 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I was very happy, too when Biden was announced as election winner yesterday. Really good news! Valerie

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Congrats Elizabeth on both President & Vice, to hear Biden's first words of *Uniting & not Dividing* and the importance of the Paris Climate accord gives hope that things that are broken can with care and consideration try and find solutions to fix and hopefully save!!
That cake van is a work of art itself!! Hugs Tracey xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I guessed that you would be smiling this morning - unfortunately with an ego like his I don't think we've seen the last of Mr T yet! A United States sounds like a plan!
This mural did make me smile, especially with your explanation of it's meaning. It looks as though a lot of time was spent on this mural.
The bakery van certainly perked me up - even though they are not my favourite thing to eat these days.
I longed for one , gave in, bought one and it tasted so sweet and sickly I have never wanted another!
Have a great day, Hugs, Chrisx

Iris Flavia said...

I´m really happy for you, for the world.
I find it kinda... surprising or rather not - to hear nothing from the orange.
A reporter in German news said T will sue, etc., but he does not show his face, your old hm-hm-hm.

The mural, I agree - tough job to create clear lines on that background.

Just saw an ad on TV... "Merci" is a chocolate brand many use to say thanks.
Uh. A neighbour brought me choc as thanks ... and I don´t like sweets. And I´m a bad liar, too.
If we met at that truck, feel free to get my "treat" :-)

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Lovely murals.

Mae Travels said...

Biden's speech last night was really inspiring and way more dramatic than he usually produces, and the enthusiasm is wonderful. Biden charismatic? Who knew? I love your post

Further, the spontaneous street celebrations nation wide really show how eager Americans are for change. I think this is true even though the vote totals weren't as dramatically anti-Trump as the pollsters predicted. I'm sure the Trumpies will come back out from under their rocks in a while, but It's great to have a moment when we can feel euphoric, even though there may be problems ahead.

be well ... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

The election news is very exciting. I felt such relief when it was called. We even took a little break from our yard work so the hubby and I could watch it it on the news, and of course last night was a very nice announcement by Biden and Harris. I feel like I have hope for the future of this country again. And I like the mural. We do a similar thing in our state- in the 603 we call it. We are small enough we only have 1 area code for the whole state. So I get it! Happy rest of your weekend. Another spring like day here. I guess I will tale this sore body and do some more yard work. Too many oaks and too many leaves! Hugs-Erika

NatureFootstep said...

Biden will have a though job repairing what T destroyed. I wish him and Kamala Harris the best wishes. Both for the US and the rest of the world.

Sami said...

Every morning since the election as soon as I woke up I would check my cell phone for news about the election. Finally today I read the outcome and was thrilled!
I'm glad Biden won and I'm sure a lot will be done to restore the world's confidence in the USA.

Your mural is great Elizabeth and thanks for the explanation and for participating in Monday Murals.

That bakery van looks good enough to eat, with those painted chocolate cupcakes.

Birgit said...

I am so glad Biden and Harris won bit it was a close call which tells me how many still believe in that Orange idiot. Knowing that Cofefe will do his best to upset this decision, he will not win that and everyone can rejoice Biden has won. I love that mural! It is so difficult to do with all the straight lines and intricate details. I am amazed at how well the person was able to colour this.

Lisca said...

Yes, what a relief! I totally agree with you.
Thank you for your extra comment the other day. Again I agree with you. The 'lesser of two evils' referred to the fact that another blogger had been ranting about Biden and how his presidency would ruin America and democracy. She thought that was 'evil'. I meant that both sides think the other is 'evil'.
But I am very glad Biden has won and I hope the law suites that the orange man has threatened to take out, will be won too.I'm sure Biden will have hired the best lawyers in the country already in anticipation.
Great urban art. Thank you for explaining the area code and the airport code. I didn't know either. (although I think you mentioned the airport code before, but I'd forgotten).
The cupcake van looks very inviting. Twelve for $25 is not bad. But who can eat 12 cupcakes? I can't. But it will be great for parties if you haven't got time to make them yourself.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend,
Lisca

CJ Kennedy said...

Clever design for the mural. The food truck looks like a mural, too.

Divers and Sundry said...

The Biden and Harris speeches last night were a comfort. They didn't insult anybody or call anybody ugly names. Trump isn't conceding and wants to fight it through the courts, which is his right I guess, but somebody should tell him there's no evidence of wrongdoing and his court cases are being dismissed right and left. He should do what's best for the country and not get dragged kicking and screaming to an acceptance of the will of the people. But he's golfing instead lol

I always enjoy the big public art pieces. You got good photos :)

DVArtist said...

Nice mural. Glad you explained it. hhmmmm cupcakes. I never make them do you? Have a great day today.

kwarkito said...

Great pictures and murals. i agree with you concerning the elections. I' m happy that Trump is out. bur i fear for the next two months.

craftytrog said...

Breathing a sigh of relief here, for you all across the pond! Let's hope the switch happens smoothly!
Great mural, and that's a delicious looking van!
Alison xx

Dortesjs said...

Congrats Elizabeth on both President & Vice from denmark

The Liberty Belle said...

I like how the mural is so connected to the area. I would have noticed that bakery food truck too! Enjoy your day.

Rita said...

I agree with you on Biden and Harris!
I was hoping you had purchased a cupcake. Maybe next time. ;)

aussie aNNie said...

News over the world, let's hope it becomes a better place. x

Bertiebo said...

Congrats to you and to the world

Tom said...

...it sure is bold, colorful and clever!!!

Jackie McGuinness said...

A big sigh of relief from your Canadian neighbours on Biden and Harris.

It will be easy to remember your area code, ours is 416!

I love the brown box truck, although I am not a huge fan of chocolate.

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely murals.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

I am so relieved. So glad we can look toward hope for the future -- assuming we can get through the next 70 days!

I like this mural and I'm glad you explained! It's pretty -- and now I know your area code!

Sandra Cox said...

Woo Hoo! We're saved.

Turgay Aksoy said...

Trump was a long nightmare.

NatureFootstep said...

Interesting mural, I am glad you explained it, it makes sense.

I, too as a Swede is glad Biden is elected, but personally I am more happy about Vice-President Elect Kamala Harris. She seems very promising :)
I really hope they will be able to restore the international cooperation on the climate and other things. :)