Friday, November 27, 2020

Friday Smiles 398: another visit to Botanica

 

It's Friday, so let's join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) along with the wonderful ladies at Friday Smiles.  

The last time we visited the Botanical Gardens, we were watching the test run of the new carousel horses.

Finally, it was time for me to go.  As I walked to a new area of the gardens, this truck came into view.

I was amazed at how colorful it was, then as I got closer, I noticed it was made to look like it had been created from Legos.

It was then that I walked into a very hot and sunny clearing where I was greeted with palms.

It seemed they were everywhere in pots on both sides of the seats that were available where one could rest.  I would have stopped had there been even an inkling of shade, but none was anywhere to be seen.

Instead, I headed for a shady, albeit rather rocky area.

It appears I had found the lily pond.  It took me a minute to realize that was actually a bird sculpture, not a real bird in the background.

I stayed a few minutes,

then headed to the next garden.

This is possibly my favorite garden of all, the Xeriscape Garden.

I love how they have theirs set up, although I don't have the terrace that Botanica has.

There are several misconceptions regarding Xeriscape Gardens.  First, it is NOT all about gravel, stones, and cacti.  In fact, too much gravel around your plants will heat the soil and take moisture from it.
 
Although Botanica has a lot of rocks and stepping stones in their Xeriscape Garden, you can have many types of these gardens, one of which I tried to create last year when I planted calla lily, elephant ears, and phlox, none of which took off.  What HAVE worked included holly, lily of the valley, hostas, and vinca vines.

Another myth is that xeriscape means no lawns. First of all, there is no ‘zero’ in xeriscape.
Another myth is that xeriscape means no lawns. First of all, there is no ‘zero’ in xeriscape

Read more at Gardening Know How: The Truth About Xeriscaping: Common Misconceptions Exposed https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/xeriscape/the-truth-about-xeriscaping-common-misconceptions-exposed.htm
Another myth is that xeriscape means no lawns. First of all, there is no ‘zero’ in xeriscape

Read more at Gardening Know How: The Truth About Xeriscaping: Common Misconceptions Exposed https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/xeriscape/the-truth-about-xeriscaping-common-misconceptions-exposed.htm

 Another misconception is this type of gardening is hard to maintain.  A good water-wise landscape can be designed to avoid expensive automatic irrigation as well as weekly mowing maintenance.  My "flower bed," which I hope to turn into a xeriscape garden in the future, receives whatever moisture Mother Nature provides.  I haven't watered there in years and years.

A final misconception is that xeriscapes use native plants only.  Again, although native plants are usually recommended and will tolerate conditions to a particular climate quicker and easier,

there are numerous types of plants that are well adapted for use in xeriscape landscapes.  It only requires a bit of research on your part.
 
I think we'll stop here today and show the last of the Botanica photos next time.  Since I've taken up so much of your time today, I will pass on any funnies.  Now let's head over to Annie's because she knows how to put a smile on everyone's faces.  And whatever you do, please don't forget to start your weekend off right with a few Friday Smiles of your own.  Please remember, if you would like to play along, Annie would love to have you join us.
I'm also sharing this with AEDM.  Today is Day 27 and I joined a link up party where I shared photos I took in our local Botanical Gardens.


21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Looks like a very interesting garden to view! I asked you yesterday if you got me email, but still have no answer! Hugs, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely garden here, love gardens of all kinds. Great colourful car here. x

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful garden and that bird really is a tricky one!
Thank you for the smiles and sunny views, all grey here today...

Karen said...

Thank you for a visit to the gardens this morning! Enjoy the weekend :)

WendyK said...

A fabulous garden, I have a few small gravel beds in my garden, and I love them. Mind you so do the blackbirds who don't seem to like it smooth, so mess it all up looking for worms.
Hugs Wendy

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Great place to visit and love the Lego style truck. Can't get in my garden at the moment as they are making me a new path down to the cabin, can't wait for it to be finished. Hugs and love to Bleubeard and Squggles too xXx

mamapez5 said...

Such a lovely garden Elizabeth. I particularly like the lily pond area. I have to admit, I have not heard of a xeriscape garden. I will have to read up on it. Thanks for sharing your visit with us. Kate x

kathyinozarks said...

thanks for sharing these gardens and loved seeing the new carousel

Annie said...

I loved the Lego decorated truck and those gardens are stunning....so well designed and landscaped.
Hugs,
Annie x

DVArtist said...

What a wonderful place. That truck is just too cool. Have a nice Friday.

CJ Kennedy said...

I'll have to do some reading up on Xeriscaping. With the Winter coming and not being able to get outside, a fun thing to plan. Thanks for the idea.

Barbara said...

Very nice warm garden tour as November comes closer to an end. Lovely!

NatureFootstep said...

taht car is COLORFUL. Almost too much :) But the lily pond. that is a juvel!
Nice one!

Lisca said...

What a fun and colourful LEGO truck. That caught my eye immediately.
The gardens you visited are very interesting. I had not heard of xeriscaping, so looked it up. It seems something that we'd like to do as we live in a very arid area. I will do a b it more research and have a word with my hubby and show him too.
The pond is beautiful, and you could have fooled me with that heron! It looks very real.
Have a lovely weekend,
Lisca

craftytrog said...

Wonderful photos Elizabeth! Those gardens are beautiful.
Alison xx

Serena Lewis said...

A lovely array of images, Elizabeth! The area near the pond looked nice and shady. I had never heard of Xeriscape gardening so I looked it up too. Interesting. I saw on Google that it used here in Australia too as we can have long droughts.

Lowcarb team member said...

So many lovely photographs, the garden does look good.

Happy Friday Wishes.

All the best Jan

Mae Travels said...

Xeriscapes seem very popular in gardening books/articles about or addressed to Californians, Arizonans, and other inhabitants of the Southwest. I never thought about how it would work in a place like Kansas, which is also water-starved at least some of the time. So your description is very interesting. Obviously different plantings would be needed, so your examples are neat.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Rita said...

Beautiful! :)

My name is Erika. said...

Nice to see more of the botanical garden, especially now that is it is right on the cusp of winter. Oh green leaves. Hope you're having a nice weekend. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

Bright and colorful! I like the idea of letting Mother Nature do all the watering :)