Thursday, November 26, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: You are a super hero (and happy Thanksgiving)


Today is Thursday and that means we're meeting at Rain's for her Thursday Art Date.  This week, the theme is You are a super hero.

In my opinion, Abraham Lincoln was a super hero.  He was President during the Civil War between the North and South, pro-slavery vs. anti-slavery.   He helped free the slaves, a black mark (no pun intended) on our country.

I believe Barack Obama, the 44th U.S. president is a hero.  He won a Nobel peace prize and a Profile in Courage award.  He repealed the law that originally restricted, but now allows gays and lesbians to openly serve in the military.  He was instrumental in initiating the same-sex marriage act.  Many economists credit Obama's stimulus plan for economic growth that was in place when the next president took over.

I have no photos of him, but I believe "Sully" Sullenberger is a hero.  His heroism is best known when he landed US Airways Flight 1549 in the Hudson River off Manhattan after both engines became disabled by a bird strike.  All 155 crew and passengers survived thanks to his quick and heroic efforts to save the plane and everyone on board.  I was lucky enough to see the movie in IMAX.

Another hero is President Eisenhower.  He was loved and respected by people the world over.

Although I have no personal art, I believe all first responders are heroes and I do have a few photos honoring a few of them.  Everyone from doctors, nurses, janitors, EMTs, fire fighters, grocery store workers, teachers, and garbage collectors are heroes.  They go above and beyond to serve their communities and even more so during this time of COVID-19.

I did find a few photos of fire fighters and police officers when they fought a fire in my neighborhood.


Sorry these were taken with my old worthless camera, but you can see the fire department and police working in unison to put out a fire and control traffic in the neighborhood.
 
For several years, I organized a "National Night Out," event.  For those of you who don't know what it is, it's an event where police, fire, and citizens of a community come together.  The citizens can learn about what each of these entities do and the different entities become acquainted with the citizens they represent in their community.
 
In my community, they have a horse patrol, fire, police, and a police helicopter, all of which came to one of my planned events.  There were even police officers who investigated crime scenes, which I was most interested in.
 
At another Neighborhood Night Out event, the party was just getting started when I took this photo.  National Night Out is the first Tuesday in August, but needless to say, there was none this year.
 
My neighborhood association also has an annual clean-up.  I have always been the co-chair of that event, too.  Needless to say, the event was cancelled this year.

Although I am more than willing to help pick up the items left at the curb, 

the packer drivers always wanted someone from the community to navigate

through the community and tell the driver where they needed to go next.  That may have seemed like a cushy job, but we only had use of the packer trucks and drivers for four hours, so the routes had to be determined by which streets had the most (or any) trash and which ones could be avoided.  Believe me, it was far more stressful demanding than simply grabbing trash and throwing it in the packer truck.  Yes, these are two different years and two different trucks, but my same lousy camera.
 
No trash was ever left behind, though.  These volunteers are also heroes.
 
Switching gears, here is the only art I could find that met the criteria.

I'm not sure how much of a hero Andrew Jackson is, but he was our seventh president.  To his credit, he was able to keep several southern states from seceding from the union, was the first president to pay off the national debt, and initiated a few reforms to eliminate corruption and waste, but he had faults, too, the worst of which was his signing of the Indian Removal Act.  He was directly responsible for forcibly relocating members of several Native American tribes and moving them to what was then called "Indian Territory."  Most historians believe the good he did for the nation outweighed the bad, but I doubt there are many Native American historians who would agree.  His statue sits in Jackson Square in New Orleans, Louisiana (USA).

Back in October, 2008, I was in yet another Artist Trading Card swap.  This one is all about men being heroes.  Although it is subtle, if you look closely, you can see the vintage sheet music I used to back the men I sewed in place.

She's not exactly a super hero, but she's my alter ego right down to her short hair and long bangs that usually hang in her eyes.  In case you've never met her, she is WOYWWendy, or Wendy for short.

Although there isn't much to see this week, all art created by me and all photos taken by me.  Bleubeard says he'll be my SUPER hero.  How can I possibly say no to that offer?

Thank you ever so much for your visit today.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join me at Rain's Thursday Art Date

I'm also joining AEDM and today is Day 26 where I joined a link-up group and shared photos and art related to Superheroes. 

And for all my friends who live in the states,

Bleubeard, Squiggles, and I want to wish each of you a very happy Thanksgiving.

Give thanks when you sit down to eat your meal today, dear friends.

20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Elizabeth. Did you get the email I sent you with the badges? Valerie

Elkes Lebensglück said...

A wonderful posting for Rain's topic.
I read everything carefully and looked at it.Beautiful Thanksgiving image.
I wish you a beautiful happy thanksgiving, hugs Elke

RO said...

Such lovely tributes to deserved people, and kudos for organizing such a wonderful and important event, even though it was cancelled this year. We always love seeing a genius at work and are thankful for you and all that you stand for. Happy Thanksgiving and lots and lots of hugs, RO

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good choices for superheroes!

Mae Travels said...

Heroism is a very good topic for Thanksgiving! You have really highlighted who we need to respect for their services to the community.

be safe and have a great Thanksgiving!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

Those were/are heroes indeed. I was a bit disappointed by the movie about Sullivan. Instead of giving him the biggest thanks they investigated against him...
I miss a tad some female heroes, apart from your alter ego, that is :-)
I hope you have a good Thanksgiving, enjoy your beautiful plates and bowls and memories. xx

DVArtist said...

You always have the best history lessons. However, it is nice to know more about you. I had no idea you were so involved in your community. What a wonderful thing the National Night Out. You organized all of this. You are my hero. Happy TG.

Dawn said...

Great post and I agree, all essential workers and first responders plus volunteers are heroes.
Have a great day.
Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

Christine said...

Fantastic tribute to superheroes Elizabeth! And Happy Thanksgiving!

CJ Kennedy said...

Happy Thanksgiving! 🦃 Interesting to learn about the history of the heroes you chose and Night Out. In my town police, fire, rescue have a Pet The Truck event where people especially the little people can sit in the vehicles that are used and talk to the police, fire, and rescue personnel.

Sandra Cox said...

Definite heroes.
Happy Thanksgiving, dear Elizabeth.

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rita said...

Kudos to you for organizing your neighborhood night outs!
Happy Thanksgiving, Elizabeth! :)

My name is Erika. said...

Nice takes on heros. I enjoyed reading this. I didn't know you are such a historian. That is cool. I didn't know about Andrew Jackson and states wanting to succeed. I hope you had a fantastic Thanksgiving. It rained here all day and so the quiet holiday was actually quite nice. Hugs-Erika

NatureFootstep said...

yes, firefighters are true heros. :)

Great shots and I got my eyes on that beautiful horse :)

craftytrog said...

An interesting post Elizabeth! I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving!
Alison xx

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth! :) Great post with lots of heroes here! I love that you used to organize a National Night Out! That's very cool. Wendy is cute!! :) And I really like that Genius At Work sign! That made me laugh! :)

Let me know how you make your Spanish rice!! Alex loves the stuff and I kind of winged my recipe.

Your AT&T experience makes me grrrrrrrrr. These companies...and I'll tell you, the rep at Midea INSISTED that she NEVER said she'd replace the fridge and cover the delivery fee. I HAD IT ON TAPE. I kept telling her I would send the recording to her supervisor and she had the nerve to laugh it off. I asked her was she prepared to be embarrassed and eat humble pie because I had the recording ready to play while she was on the phone and she got a little nervous. I sent the recording to the supervisor and she called back herself to apologize. We got the fridge yesterday. I don't get it, these reps act like we are personally stealing from them when we want them to honour their promises or something. I hope you can find a better company for your internet. It's drama we don't need!!! :) Your pumpkin piece is really cute!! :)

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Lincoln, Obama, Eisenhower ... I think you are inside of my brain. They are all favorites of mine and certainly are Superhero's. I watched Eisenhower speak on the back of a train when I was in grade school. He may have been the first political figure I was really into, though I do remember Truman and his daughter Margaret, Ha! It seems you have some superhero in you as well. Arranging gettogethers with the police and fire fighters goes a long way to keeping a community safe and our heroes respected. And busy, busy you keeping the neighborhoods clean ... oh my, I am impressed. I have never met Wendy, but now that I know her, I would like to hear more about her ... or maybe I can just look her up. So once I know her, I will know you even better ... are you, by chance, the Genius at work? Wouldn't surprise me a bit :) Hope your Thanksgiving was a good one, though the times have certainly put limits on it. We can be more than thankful that we are alive to eat it no thanks to Mr.Covid! Stay well, my friend. It is always a pleasure to visit you.

Andrea @ From The Sol

Serena Lewis said...

A wonderful post, Elizabeth. I think Barack Obama was a great President too.

How lovely that your community holds events like that.

I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving.xo

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a good post for Rain's theme, I enjoyed it.
Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving.

All the best Jan