Thursday, September 3, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: the Old Masters


It's Thursday and that means we're meeting at Rain's for her Thursday Art Date.  This week, the theme is The Old Masters.

I know what they are supposed to look like, but our museums don't have any Old Masters.  This was the closest I could find that reminded me of something Albrecht Dürer or Johannes Vermeer might have painted.

My friend Scott gave me this triptych by Hieronymus Bosch for my birthday.

Here's some art I've made:

This is sort of like daVinci's Vitruvian Man.

This one really IS a Vitruvian Man I created from a rubber stamp.

Here's another.


The above two were created on the deconstructed covers of a hardbound Reader's Digest book.

Finally, here is a cheeky look at an ad I've saved for years that was for hair color.   I thought it would be perfect for this Old Masters theme.

All art by me for various challenges.  Both art related photos and the scan by me.  Bleubeard laughed because I can't possibly draw an old master and there are NONE at my art museums.

I wish I had photos from when I visited the Smithsonian (Washington D.C.), the J.Paul Getty Museum now called the Getty Center (Brentwood, CA), the Art Institute of Chicago (Chicago, IL), the Nelson-Atkins Museum (Kansas City, MO), the Philadelphia Museum of Art (Philadelphia, PA), The Norton Simon Museum (Pasadena, CA, although they have more Impressionists painting than any I've seen in any other museum), The Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA in Los Angeles, CA), and The National Gallery of Art (Washington D.C.).  They were all prints and all had to be thrown away when the basement where I was keeping them flooded.

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join me at Rain's Thursday Art Date.



21 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

1999 was the very best year of my life, so nice to see your work!
It was "SUPER SUPER" indeed.
Love the Lisas, too!
Drowning. Sorry it happened, here it´s another "yay" as Ingo said: "If my place floods again I move to Braunschweig to you." Into the tub the water went, that high was the flooding. Massive furniture the water moved (we were in Braunschweig for the weekend, luckily).

Valerie-Jael said...

You found some lovely pieces Elizabeth. Love the Triptych from Scott, what a wonderful present. And the Mona pieces are fun. A neighbour has a big collection of wigs in various colours and styles and has a new look every day, such fun. Perhaps she saw that ad! Have a fun day. Valerie

Elderberry-Rob said...

that mona lisa is a classic! you have to frame it - its brilliant

Elkes Lebensglück said...

This is a wonderful gift, the Scott Triptych. The ladies with the hairdressers are great. Your journal pages are beautifully designed. The old character is creepy * wink *. Did you do well for the rain theme.
I wish you a beautiful thursday!, hug Elke

craftytrog said...

Great examples of old masters artwork Elizabeth! I love that Mona Lisa hair colour ad.
Hope you are having a good week,
Alison xx

Cathy Kennedy said...

Elizabeth,

I used the Internet for my inspiration. I've never been to an art museum. I do have an app on my iPhone...I think...well, I just looked at it's not on there anymore. Drats! Now I need to figure that out. Anywho, it would be fun to see the Old Masters work up close. The Mona Lisa hair color was fun. The old gal actually looks nice with some of those different styles. Don't you think the one in the middle of the second row she favors Merle Streep? :)

Mae Travels said...

Mona Lisa parodies, as you may have noticed on my blog, are my hobby. I have hundreds of them, so I'm glad to add your very wonderful one to the collection. I haven't done a Mona Lisa blog post for a while, maybe I should, but if you want to see all my Mona Lisa posts here are a few from my current blog and from my old blog:

https://maefood.blogspot.com/2019/07/mona-lisa-pictures-from-long-ago-trips.html

https://maetravels.blogspot.com/2008/12/she-gets-by-with-little-help-from-her.html

https://maetravels.blogspot.com/2008/11/household-objects.html

https://maetravels.blogspot.com/2008/03/hip-or-straight.html


Be well... mae

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Ahhh ... another DaVinci lover and Bleubeard will be happy to know that DaVinci drew cats as well as his more famous pieces. So sad that you would lose all of those wonderful pictures and memories in a flooded basement. You certainly have traveled to many places (or should I say museums). You are an artist to the bone, even studying the art of so many others ... that is how you have grown in your talent. Great Post, Elisabeth ... and I love Mona Lisa's hair dos ... actually when you put a different style on her, she looks a little like I did once upon a time ... my claim to fame, I suppose :) Be well ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Christine said...

Lovely take on the masters Elizabeth. The Mona Lisa piece is fun!

CJ Kennedy said...

Nice look at the old masters and the new take on them. Mona Lisa's hair dos gave me a good chuckle.

Karen said...

Great makes on the classics ~ Blessings on your day

pearshapedcrafting said...

I'd say you found some great examples Elizabeth but the hair colours ad made me smile most....Hugs, Chrisx

Gillena Cox said...

Your Mona Lisas are such fabulous fun 😊
Happy Thursday

Much💝love

peggy gatto said...

what an eclectic mix! Thank you!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; I really like the RD book cover pieces; nice job on both...the mona lisa ad is funny !! :) ♥♥ wonder which hair style she would have picked :) ☺☺♥♥

Sandra Cox said...

I really like Da Vinci's garden. And the Mona Lisas are a hoot.
Stay safe. Be healthy.

My name is Erika. said...

You represented old masters quite nicely. It is a tough challenge if you don't live someplace where there are representations to see or unless you make art using them. But you still have some great art today, and that is the most important thing. Hope your day is going well. Hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad Mae comes to your blog -- she's Mona's biggest fan and I love this, too. Nice representations, all!

Rita said...

Of all I got quite a chuckle out of the Mona Lisas! :)

Divers and Sundry said...

Museums have to focus, I guess... I like how you interpreted the challenge.

NatureFootstep said...

Love your play with Mona Lisas hair :)

Interesting piece in your first image. Never seen anything like that one before. Makes me wonder who she was.
Take care!