Thursday, June 11, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Your vacation/Summer plans


Today we're meeting at Rain's for her Thursday Art Date.  This week, the theme is Your Vacation/ Summer Plans.  I was actually surprised how many instances of this theme I came up with.  Somehow I misread the prompt and thought it was Your Vacation.  I hope these also work for Summer Plans, even  though there's no way I'm going anywhere while this virus is on the loose.

This is an art piece from a challenge.  I sent off for a brochure from the state just west of mine, which is Colorado.  In the packet, I also received a map and these stickers.  They are actually designed to be applied to bumpers or campers and they are SO sticky, if you get it on wrong, like I did the first one (Boulder), there's no way to remove it.

This was called Vacation Day and was for a challenge in my Coll-AH-ge altered book.

This is a real photo taken by a dear friend who gave this to me.  It shows the Pope leaning out his window.  That would be a very lucky vacation shot.  This is in my Craft Barn Alpha-Numeric altered book.

And finally, one of my 4 inch squared 365 Somethings I created in 2019.  This one is called Remembering my summer vacation.

I often take Stay-cations.  I have a few self imposed rules:

The self imposed rules:

1. Round trip must be less than or equal to 80 miles.

2. Must be achievable in a single day.

3. No more than $15.00 (USD) can be spent (does
NOT include fuel).

The problem with stay-cations is, the posts are loaded with photos, often around 100 or more.  Picking just one can be a daunting task. 

This stay-cation was for a museum I visited in Wichita, Kansas (USA), my home town.

I took this photo and many others in Newton, Kansas, a town just north of Wichita.

This is from Hutchinson, Kansas, a town north and west of Wichita.

Another time I went to Hutchinson, KS to visit my friend Kathy.  We went to the Reno County Museum, where the admission is always free.

This was taken from inside the museum called Exploration Place.  It shows the Keeper of the Plains and the confluence of the rivers.  On the left is the Big Arkansas and on the right is the Little Arkansas.  This is where they meet.  My neighborhood is bounded by the Big Arkansas to the west and the Little Arkansas to the east. 

The first time I joined Friday Smiles, I took the ladies/participants to the Nifty Nut House.  I loved the clever mural on the side of the building.

This stay-cation was at the Wichita History Museum.

This one was at the Kansas African American Museum.

I mentioned to my internet friend Birgit, who, among other things, reviews specific films each week, that I had seen a display of Hattie McDaniel, the first black woman to win an Academy Award.  It was for Best Supporting Actress in Gone With The Wind

The display was huge and nicely created, too.

This might seem like a strange stay-cation, but when I visited my friend Kathy after she'd had surgery in one of the hospitals here in Wichita, I was treated to an incredible showing of their photos.

It documented how the hospital had changed since its inception in the late 1880s.  Unfortunately, I was using my old worthless camera, so it didn't do these photos justice.

Another trip to Newton, Kansas found me checking out this Train Museum.

This is an open air museum that sits near the Keeper of the Plains.  I had such a lousy camera, you can barely see these photos.  This and the three below go together, but my old camera couldn't capture everything at the same time.



There were lots more exhibits and memorabilia, too, but I chose just these four photos that show the entrance to the exhibit.

Another time, I visited the War Memorial.

Here's another shot from that day.

And finally, a trip to the Kansas Wildlife Exhibit. I hope you enjoyed my few stay-cations and art I created to honor it.  This year I have no summer plans, since I'm not leaving my property until I'm sure this novel virus is under control.

All art created by me.  All photos taken by me.  Bleubeard was actually excited and wanted to find a few stay-cations too this week.

Thank you beyond belief for visiting today.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join me at Rain's Thursday Art Date.  I won't be able to play next Thursday because this week was supposed to be my Second Thursday Tutorial.  Seems  when I play at Rain's, I forget what week it is.


21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lots of beautiful art and photos. Your vacations, or stay-cations are similar to mine , but I have to reach mine on foot or with the tram and not spend more than 5€, which of course, gets spent on coffee! And it's always fun! Have a great day, take care, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, yes, the Carribean, that would be nice, still so cold here!
I love "Remembering my summer vacation"!
Wow, rule #3 is tough!
Cute mural and I love the history-journey of the holpital!
Thank you for showing your adventures! Actually sometimes it´s OK like that, too, right!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

That is a nice, great and interesting posting for the topic of rain! I am glad that I can only go by bike or on foot, I don’t spend any money and we don’t go anywhere to eat anywhere this year, so I save money.
It's great how you plan it! I hope you enjoy summer excursions.
Greetings Elke

aussie aNNie said...

Brilliant post and full of lovely details and interest. Thanks for your lovely comment on my wedding card..xxx

Sandra Cox said...

You do wonderful stay-cays. Isn't that outdoor museum amazing?
Fun pieces.
Stay safe. Stay healthy.
I think we are going to venture out to see the grands this month. First visit since February. Will definitely be wearing masks.

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning-fun post-loved seeing all the places you were able to visit close by. you have lots of options great pages too-stay safe Hugs

CJ Kennedy said...

I liked your travel pages. No vacation this year, most likely not even to visit the Eldest. So your pages are fun to dream over. I enjoyed your staycations. Looks like you have lots of things to do and see in your area. Take care and enjoy your day

Meggymay said...

Super photos and pages. Stay home holidays can just as much fun as going miles away from home. Especially when the virus is about these days. There is so much of interest if we take time to look, like my sons are doing foe me just now in out locality.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx
I hope the emails got to you.

Karen said...

Great vacation photos! I like the stay-cation rules :)
We normally go to NY in june every year ~ Not this summer!
Keep creating and staying well ~

Divers and Sundry said...

We've done staycations and thoroughly enjoyed them even when we've stayed in town. Yours looks like fun!

Jeanie said...

I don't know that I've ever done an official staycation unless you count gong to the lake, where I just stay. It is home. But not my winter home. I love seeing all your vacation photos. They're fun.

I gong to the lake today but not going anyplace except on my walk path. Too creepy out there.

craftytrog said...

Great photos and I love your pages Elizabeth.
We've had to cancel a 3 week trip around Scotland in July, so no Summer plans here anymore :-(
Hope you're having a good week,
Alison xx

Lowcarb team member said...

A post full of super art and wonderful photographs.
I like the rules you set for your vacations/stay-cations.

Al the best Jan

Christine said...

Lovely travel pages!

DVArtist said...

Wow this is fabulous. I feel like I have been on a vacation. There sure is a lot of things to do where you live.

My name is Erika. said...

I like these little sightseeing snippets. There are a lot of places around you to visit. Day trips are fun and I would like one of those right now. One of these days the virus will be under control, hopefully. Anyhow, I enjoyed the visits today, as well as the art too. Hugs-Erika

NatureFootstep said...

You did come up with a lot for vacation. :) I like to visit Open air museums. Lots of history in those places.

Like the last mural even if your camera did not make it justice. :)
Take care.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You are definitely a lover of museums ... as am I. You should come to Chicago, we have hundreds of Museums and each has it's own special focus and what a place to learn about the world you live in. My favorites here are the Art Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Museum of Science and Industry and The Illinois Holocaust Museum. You could spend a week in any of these and you wouldn't cover it all. There are hundreds of small museums with more specific focus, but too many to mention here. So, as I say, after the air clears, the virus is gone or controlled and our politics get back to some semblance of normal ... feel free to visit. As for vacations, my husband has been ill for many years so any trips I take I take on my own or with a friend. My most memorable have been my trips to Thailand where I had my son and DIL as guides and we were able to see life as it really is, not as the posters would depict them. So I loved every picture, old camera or not ... you have covered a great deal of ground, my friend, and that is how we grow. Be safe and be well ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Caty said...

Your Art journal pages are so spectacular Elizabeth !! I love them, and the idea of ​​traveling, much more. It is great to remember our trips, and today, we are very lucky to take hundreds of photos with our mobile phones and save them to our computer later. They are always very nice memories.
I love the rules for your stay-cations. I always enjoy to visit museums with you, thanks so much for sharing your fabulous photographs with us.
Have a great weekend, stay safe and big hugs
Caty

Birgit said...

Oh my goodness, I am finally here and am sorry for not being here sooner. Thank you for mentioning me which is very sweet and I would have loved to have seen this exhibit on the wonderful Hattie McDaniel. I had heard that Netflix is taking down Gone With The Wind because of the way it shows the South as wonderful and the African Americans in a very negative light. This is all true but this is a part of film history and Hattie won the Oscar as the wise lady of Tara. She gave that one dimensional character soul and made it her own. I loved seeing what you have created...always inventive

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth! :) I love that you do staycations. I am not the type of person who enjoys traveling...when I was in my teens, yes, I had all sorts of plans and dreams to travel the world...I did one trip to Western Europe in 1989 and that was it for me lol...I am not a good flyer...and to be honest, everything I love about life is here on my property so staying home for vacation and making my summer plans all about home is perfect! I really love all of those photos you posted and your art is lovely - I especially love your "Remembering Summer Vacation"...that's a fun piece! The train museum would have been my choice for sure!!