Friday, June 19, 2020

Friday Smiles 376: Back to the Eisenhower Museum and this week's ICADs



It's Friday, so let's join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) along with the wonderful ladies at Friday Smiles.  Let's return to the Eisenhower Museum.  If the museum doesn't interest you, please skip to the ICADs, which I hope you will like.

This is where we left off the last time we visited the Eisenhower Museum.

This shows how quickly Ike advanced through the ranks after he returned from the Philippines.  Many generals wanted him on their staff.

The photo shows Ike in August, 1941 when he participated in the Louisiana Maneuvers and received a temporary promotion to brigadier general.

You can see the Louisiana Maneuvers in the photo at the bottom of the above photo.

Mamie was always his biggest fan.

As many know, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.  At that time, General Marshall called Ike to Washington D.C. to review the Philippines situation and work in the War Department. 

Ike would soon be in charge of planning for wars on two fronts.

Some of the memorabilia from that era.

Apparently the draft had been initiated.  Here it shows a Draft Registration and a Draft Card for the same person, John Moaney.

Mamie had good taste when it came to china.  You'll see more later, too.

America went to war and Ike

went to London to assess European leadership.


Here's the timeline over four days.


You can see how quickly things moved once the U.S. was in a war.

Ike had to assess the situation in the Pacific and plan for the worst.

Soon Ike would leave Washington DC for London.  Yes, this photo is obviously out of order.

War was spreading quickly and there was now fighting on two fronts.

I think this is a great place to take a break.


Several people had no idea what an ICAD was.  It stands for Index Card A Day.
Tammy, who hosts the event at daisyyellowart.com shows many index cards on her blog.  This is one of them.  The event lasts every year from June 1 through July 31.  This is my eighth year and Tammy's 10th.

Now that you know, here are this week's ICADs.

Music to my ears
Abstract 76.722
Ugly vs Beautiful
What a shock!
Bones, bones
Floral bouquet
Crying over you
Please let me know if you like any of these ICADs.  Thanks so much for joining Bleubeard and me this Friday.  If you know someone who is a blogger and is sharing their ICADs, please let me know and I will visit them.  I have no way of seeing them on other social media sites.

Let's also head over to Annie's because she knows how to put a smile on faces.  And whatever you do, please don't forget to start your weekend off right with a few Friday Smiles of your own.  And remember, if you would like to play along, Annie will welcome you just as she did me many years ago.


19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I love the icads, but the first, the fifth and the last ones are my faves., great ideas. I hope there will never be a Trump museum, that would be too awful to even contemplate! Have a great day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Glad there was still music in that horrible times.
They declare war. Declare in German also means "explain",so why not explain what´s going wrong and find a solution in peace, talk it over?
Sometimes I think if the leaders had been women they´d done the latter...

Love your ICADs - that date-stamp reminds me of those my Dad used.

Ewww, Valerie sure paints a cruel picture! Imagining a Trump-museum would leave me blinded by the lig... dumbness!

Lisca said...

Your museum visits are always my favorites. And this one is no exception. I love seeing and reading all about Ike. He was such an interesting man. He is very much loved in the netherlands. And it is so nice to see things from his wife's perspective. That was a nice touch from whoever set up the exhibition.
You index cards are great too. I like the texts that you added.
Wishing you a wondeful weekend,
Lisca

My name is Erika. said...

I do like this Eisenhower homestead museum. It is really well done. And fascinating as I have learned so much about the man and his life. And I always love your ICADS. The blue eyes crying in the rain is rather sad. Although she doesn't look really sad. Your political statement ICAD is great. And so true with the John Bolton interview and his book coming out. I enjoyed these. Nice post! Hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

Eisenhower’s presidency looks better and better as time passes — and not just because his Republican successors have progressively become worse and worse. He made decisions and implemented them in a very subtle way, many for the long-term good. Your photos from the museum are very interesting.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Lynn Holland said...

Super ICADs. You’ve been wonderfully busy.
Look after yourself and have a good week.
See you over at woyww
Lynn xx

Meggymay said...

Super iCADS, the last one gets my vote this week.
It was another super visit to the museum, good to see the photos as I would never get to see it for real.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

mamapez5 said...

Well I am glad I know what an ICAD is now. I like the first one best. They are just a bit bigger than an Artist trading Card which gives you a bit more scope to work on.
I am sorry I skipped the museum today. I am a bit hot and bothered so I think I'll just jump in the pool now.
Kate x

Annie said...

I rather like the idea of making a card that's a little bigger the the ATCs we all make and you certainly put a lot of work into each and every one you make...they're all fab.
Hugs,
Annie x

Let's Art Journal said...

Happy Friday! It's always fun to looks around the museum with you 😁. I'm loving those ICADs, the first one with the sewing is my favourite - fabulous! Wishing you a wonderful weekend! Take care! Hugs, Jo x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi to you both. This must be one very large museum, there's so much to see and loving your index cards too. Think my favourite is the spotty one. Have a great weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

kathyinozarks said...

Awesome icad's and I really enjoy visiting this museum with you Happy Fridat

Cindy McMath said...

Love your ICADs Elizabeth - I’ll have my first 14 up this Sunday. Boy oh boy I didn’t realize how far i was behind. My favourite this week? What a shock! Because - polka dots...! Love the colours too. They are all great, and I’m glad you ar titling them again this year. I always enjoy your titles.

Jeanie said...

Thanks for taking us back to the museum I enjoy these visits. And I also love your icads -- especially the fish!

DVArtist said...

I love when you share this. So much history I didn't know about. Thank you.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I have learnt so much from your posts about this great man and his wife who were often featured on British newsreels!
Your ICADs are wonderful - I especially love Music to my ears!

Have a great weekend, Chrisx

Linda Kunsman said...

such an interesting museum and history- my hubby would LOVE to see it in person!
Marvelous ICADS Elizabeth each one but my favorite today is the first one with all that red/white /blue stitching!!

Divers and Sundry said...

Hard days. And scary. It always interests me to note that museums like these and books are great ways to learn about history. Random park statues, not so much ;)

I like _all_ the ICADs, of course :) but maybe especially floral bouquet, fish, and the abstract.

craftytrog said...

Fabulous ICADs Elizabeth! Bones bones is my favourite.
Alison xx