Friday, April 3, 2020

Money, money


Before we begin today, I want to start by saying, it's fairly obvious when my bEARTHday is.  After all, it's why I do this 22 day recycling event each year.  I believe many of you my dear close internet friends feel compelled or choose to send me a card or a gift.  This year I'm asking, no BEGGING you to not do so.  Instead, visit my blog every day, leave a comment if you like or don't like the project I've chosen, and get your circle of friends to visit daily, too.  That will be the best gift anyone could ever give me, your internet friend Dr. E, Queen of Free.

Today I'm joining Valerie at Bastelmania, our host this month at Art Journal Journey, with her Geometric Shapes theme.  I'm also inviting you to play along because I'm sure everyone has at least one security envelope.  If you don't have a security envelope, I'm sure you can find one envelope with a window.  If you're lucky, you might even have one that has a double window.   I'm on the lookout for one of those.

Now that you have your security envelope and have deconstructed it, you need a theme.  Your theme should revolve around bits and pieces of art you have been hoarding for just that right moment.

Be sure the image you want to place behind the window is large enough.  You may need to tape it in place, rather than using glue.  Alternately, you can sew it in place, but because many of you don't sew paper to paper, sewing is only one option.

I dug through my saved stash and found several lovely items I've been given or junk mail I've received.

This is the reverse side of the bookmark.  More on that later.

In my stash was this beautiful piece of printed vellum.  I have NO idea where or when I received it, but I love how the design of the security envelope shows through.  Only translucent materials like vellum could do that.

I hope this coin of Cleopatra qualifies as a circle, so it can be part of the geometric shapes Valerie is looking for.

I wonder if a ring is a geometric shape!

For the image behind the window, I used this piece of junk mail I recently received.  Originally I had thrown it in my recycle basket, but dug it out to use in this spread.

I received the bookmark from my friend who is a numismatist.  It was left over after I made my Money altered book (see my right sidebar).  It could not be used as a bookmark because it had been damaged and was quite limp.

I wanted to document the back of the bookmark before I added it to the page, so I scanned it.  It took a few iterations before I got it so it actually looked like the back of the bookmark and not like a failed scan.  I wanted you to be able to read it, too, so I made sure you could read it before I cut it out and sewed it to the envelope.

This is the full page of vellum I found in my stash.  Several circles qualify for Valerie's theme.

Three rectangles add to the geometric shapes, too.

Another circle adds to the geometric shapes mix.

For this page, I started with a used security envelope, then added a piece of junk mail, a beautiful vellum page, and a bookmark of which I copied the back before sewing everything together using variegated green and white thread. 

Bleubeard and I are delighted you stopped by today. We hope you will also join us at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by Geometric Shapes.  

This is Day 3 of 22 and I recycled junk mail and a used security envelope.  Feel free to join us with a decorated security or window envelope of your own.

After seeing Alison's and Chris's April calendars (which put mine to shame, I might add), I realized I hadn't shown mine.  This month is all about birthdays.  Several of them in fact.  It wouldn't be a celebration without rocking horses, along with a rocking bunny, too!  Just so you know, I've already written in mine.

20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page with some interesting infos about money.Your stitching is really neat, you get better and better. And lots of geometrical patterns, thanks! I have quite a few ancient coins, even a Roman one, and treasure them. Have a fun day, stay safe! Valerie

Rika said...

stunning page, love the idea with the envelope.

Helen said...

great recycling of the envelope - as Valerie-Jael says, very neat sewing!

Iris Flavia said...

I had to look up "security envelope" - unknown word here, I guess! Oh, my :-) And I don´t have any! I used to, when we were in Australia, the inside showed the map and I pinpointed where we are as I wrote, so my parents could keepa track (certainly we´d moved on already, the letters took three weeks to make it to Germany).
Yes, the state here controls, too, if you have gold.
Interesting articles and yes, geometric for sure :-)
I did btw add Dad´s journal, so much for at least recycling.

Barbara said...

Terrific suggestions and nice page. I am sure you have all the drinks and drabs you need, a selfless request.

Barbara said...

Ooops, that was supposed to read “dribs and drabs”. Lol! 😆

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a brilliant page - I love using old envelopes (I'm sure you could have guessed that!) Watch out for some next week after the Hochanda Crafty Individuals shows! Your little snippets of information are interesting reading too! Your calendar looks good to me Elizabeth! Take care, Chrisx

Cindy McMath said...

This turned out great! Your comment about the bookmark being too ‘limp’ to use made me smile as I often use a piece of tissue to mark my place. :) Wonderful recycling.

Meggymay said...

This is a an awesome take on Valerie's AJJ theme, I would never have thought of using money and note. A shape we take for granted,' its there around us all the time'.
I liked reading the history snippets as well. I'm in catch up mode today.
Stay well and safe and enjoy your recycling.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

What a great history-filled page!

DVArtist said...

Wow you do have some treasures. These are amazing. You mentioned in a comment that we are close in birthdays. Just 5 days apart. My year is 1952. Have a really wonderful day, BTW I too am a huger. One for you my friend.

craftytrog said...

A wonderful page Elizabeth, I love the envelope idea. I have a few of those ;-)
Alison xx

CJ Kennedy said...

I like the way the security envelope comes through. Hard to believe it's another month already

My name is Erika. said...

This is not only a cool themed page but also an interesting page to read. I like your envelope background. It is actually quite designed, isn't it? I don't think I've seen one with such a cool design on it. Hope it was a great Friday. Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

Happy birthday month.
Sometimes things still come in the mail in a security envelope with a window but not nearly as often as they used to. :)

aussie aNNie said...

Great recycling, great sewing and fabulous post.x

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous pages! I always enjoy your recycling pieces and the contrasting stitching that you added to your design looks gorgeous 😁. Happy and creative wishes! Keep well. Hugs, Jo x

Karen said...

Creative recycling pages! ~ Happy Birthday month ~ Your calendar is wonderful, remember "comparison is the thief of joy" ~

Jeanie said...

I really like this page a lot, Elizabeth. There's a lot in it but it all works together. The photos turned out well. And of course I always love it when you stitch. It adds a really nice dimension.

Eileen Bergen said...

You have such neat ephemera, Elizabrth. I love this collge. Eileen xx