Saturday, March 14, 2020

Another new to me technique


Today I'm once again joining Eileen whose blog is The Artful Crafter.  She is our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her Green (the color) theme.  And because this is a new technique to me, I'm also joining Try it on Tuesday.


It all started when my jar of gesso had dried beyond use.

I am incredibly lucky.  I have access to our Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) facility.  People bring their slightly used or unwanted items like antifreeze, brake fluid, swimming pool cleaner, and acrylic and oil paint for safe disposal.  These items are inspected, then placed on shelves and county residents can come once a month to see if there is something they can use.  It's called swap and shop.  You don't have to bring anything, but of course, it helps, since it's a bit out of the area.  You can take home up to 10 items at a time and since I get charged around $6.00 (USD) a year which is added to my property taxes, I like to take advantage of the service.  Other than the annual property tax fee, the items you take home are all FREE (my middle name).

I dug through my paint and found some very pale green house paint.  I was hoping I could use it in place of the gesso to prep my pages.  I was thrilled when it worked.  I might add, after the house paint dried, the pages were much softer than had I started with gesso.

Since St. Patrick's Day is coming soon, my mind is stuck on luck and lucky sayings. I divided the page with one of my favorite stencils, which I failed to photograph.

I used a green dye ink I adhered with a stipple brush I had completely forgotten about until I accidentally dumped a mug of pens and other tools recently.

This sentiment reads:
Luck is a matter of preparation meeting opportunity.
The other quote reads:
Some things have nothing to do with luck, but everything to do with commitment and hard work.
I used the stipple brush to create the frame.

For this page in my Stress Free altered book, I started with a new to me technique where I used house paint instead of gesso to prime my book pages.  I then used a stencil to delineate the two sayings I found on the internet.  The sayings were computer generated, then cut to size.  Finally, I used the stipple brush to color the frames of the sayings.  I might add, the stipple brush had never been used before, either.

Bleubeard and I are delighted that you stopped by today. We hope you will also join us at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by the color Green and Try it on Tuesday with a new technique.
 

20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page and quote, but I can't see any green? It looks turquoise to me, perhaps it's the light. Have a nice day, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

I love this page in your stress free Altered Book...super idea with the old housepaint!
Swap and shop sounds ecofriendly and helps to save the planet. We have something similar here in our village.
Good thing!!
The quotes are so true and wise!!!
Happy Saturday dear Elizabeth!
Susi xxx

Karen said...

Lucky you a swap & shop would be a great place to treasure hunt! ~ Happy Crafting ~

Cath Wilson said...

Great page, Elisabeth.
Someone I knew who worked in the Art Department of a 6th form college used to prepare canvases by painting with emulsion - they didn't know what gesso was! I've used the sample pots before and I know others have, too. It looks wonderful here - and as you say, it has a nicer 'feel'.
Your scheme sounds like a brilliant idea. Saves people keeping nearly 'spent' things and provides exactly what someone else may be in need of. I love that idea.
Happy weekend and thank you for linking to Try it on Tuesday.
Cath x

Barbara said...

So true! Close enough to green for me as we approach March 17. Nice page!

My name is Erika. said...

I never thought to use house paint. It would be a good way to use up that little bit in can. And your page looks fantastic Elizabeth. Nice thinking! Thanks for linking up to Try It On Tuesday, and another beauty for AJJ. Hugs-Erika

Words and Pictures said...

Another fabulous lucky page. Very cool experiment with the house paint, lovely stencilling and with such great words. They reminded me of another luck quote, which you find in many variations - often ascribed to Jefferson, though there doesn't seem to be any real link between him and the words: "I'm a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the luckier I seem to get."
Alison x

CJ Kennedy said...

I never would have thought of using leftover house paint. Thanks for the tip.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is a lovely art journal page Elizabeth, and very resourceful of you. I like that your county puts back into use items that others were disposing of. It's great for the environment for the items to get used, instead of ending up in a land fill. (I also sent you another email.)

Linda Kunsman said...

great quotes and page! I have never used house paint in my art although we do have some;) I don't see any green here either- it looks like a blue to me. But then i know how some colors are so difficult to photo or scan true .

DVArtist said...

Great page. Love the colors. I use a lot of house paint too. I get it cheap from Home Depot. Stuff people brought back.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

This journal is fabulously designed and thought up. A great saying!
Greetings Elke

Meggymay said...

A super experiment with the house paint and a super new technique idea. The swap and shop recycling idea sounds a good one as well.
I love how you created the fantastic journal page and the quotes you used. It is also going to be a super stress free journal.
A super inspiration piece for Eileen's AJJ theme an thank you for joining us all at Try it on Tuesdays as well.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

That's a good use of the material. Who'd've thought?! Well, _you_ would :) "Creative" is your other middle name ;)

Eileen Bergen said...

The swap and shop facility is awesome! I wish there were one near me. House paint to prep pages is genius, Elizabeth! I defnitely want to try that.

Fabulous green page. Thank you for sharing it - along with some great product ideas - at Art Joural Journey.

Eileen xx

nwilliams6 said...

Great altered book page. I am going to have to get some white gesso - I love the look you achieved. Lovely color you added too.

Cindy McMath said...

Lovely! I used house paint in a class I took a couple of years ago - but it was on wood, not paper. Sounds like the result is similar to what I get from the type of fluid gesso I like to use - it definitely doesn’t make the pages brittle or stiff. Such a pretty page with some good sayings too!

Mrs.B said...

I like the idea of a stress free journal and your page has a lovely calming feel to it. I've always used gesso, so the idea of finishing off some household paint is appealing. I hate waste and your shop and swap of recycled items sounds good.
Thanks for sharing this at Try it on Tuesday.
Avril x

Jeanie said...

I love that you are always exploring and experimenting! Your page is pretty and the swap place sounds like a great idea! Lucky you!

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous page! The quotes are wonderful with your stenciling - perfect 😁. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x