Wednesday, March 11, 2020

A new to me technique


Today I'm once again joining Eileen whose blog is The Artful Crafter.  She is our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her Green (the color) theme.  And because this is a new technique to me, I'm also joining Try it on Tuesday.

I have a ton of old magazine images, and I use them quite often.

However, I never considered tearing the pieces to

turn them into what I call puzzle pieces.  Unfortunately, I tore them before I had a place for them.  If I do this again, I'll tear them to fit where they will do the most good.  Note my 110 lb card stock substrate beneath the torn pieces.

It took me nearly two days to fit these pieces together.  Some magazine images were so thin they were hard to work with, while others were much thicker and more difficult to glue in place.  I even considered coloring around the areas that left white when I tore the pieces.  In the end, I left them the way they were.  It should be obvious, I was looking for green images.

Eventually, the piece was finished and glued in place.  However, it was at that time

I decided to outline the mat around the focal image

with silver leafing.

I did the same around the sentiment.

I thought the leafing had dried and stuck my finger in it (see upper right) as I moved the piece.



For this page, I started by finding and tearing various magazine images to create a background for the focal image and sentiment.  I outlined the focal image, the sentiment, also found in a magazine, and the outside of the page with silver leafing.

Bleubeard and I are thrilled that you visited today. We hope you will also join us at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by the color Green and Try it on Tuesday with a new technique.
 

33 thoughtful remarks:

Rika said...

Great collage, love it!

Iris Flavia said...

Very beautiful! So carefully put together Audrey sure would feel honoured! Stunning!

aussie aNNie said...

wowzer ripped up pieces like a work of art here, placed so nicely together.x

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, great background and colours! Looks like a lot of work! Valerie

craftytrog said...

Fantastic collage art Elizabeth! I think you know I'm going to love this technique ;-) The gold leaf is a great finishing touch.
Alison xx

Cath Wilson said...

This is a great way of using up scraps of patterned paper, isn't it, Elisabeth? Lovely result. Hermine Koster introduced a technique like this, adding watered down gesso, then drawing in crosses to 'sew' the torn pieces together. I loved it because I kept a folder of scraps of patterned papers from the mini book workshops/stamp clubs I used to run, so it was a great way to use them up and have less waste - as well as reducing my endless clutter ;-)
Audrey Hepburn just oozes elegance and serenity. I really enjoyed her old films when I was younger. Great choice.
Thank you for linking to Try it on Tuesday.
Cath x

My name is Erika. said...

Oh this came out amazing Elizabeth. What a super idea for green. It might have taken you awhile to fit pieces, but the end result is certainly worth it. And I am really glad you linked up to TIOT also with this super piece. It is a perfect new technique. Thanks. Hope you internet is back on track and you have a good middle of your week. Hugs-Erika

Karen said...

This is terrific! I like all the white edges actually ~ Audrey really is stunning. Enjoy

Barbara said...

Very cool! Love torn edges, and your placements are perfect.

Jeanie said...

It's good for us to do new things but it can be so frustrating at times. I think the end product is very nice. And to adapt a phrase, "Audrey Hepburn is always a good idea!"

kathyinozarks said...

awesome technique Elizabeth-and fun-I love fun artistic creations. thanks again for the links. a great help and I have some ideas now for my journal

Tammy said...

WOW this is beautiful! I love the torn edges and that gorgeous picture of Audrey! Thanks for the inspiration, I want to give this a try :)

Meggymay said...

Its a fantastic technique idea to use torn magazine pieces to create a puzzle. It is a stunning picture of Audrey.
I am so happy you linked this to Try it on Tuesdays as well.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I love this! I'm feeling quite pleased with myself for having actually done this before lol

froebelsternchen said...

I think it's simply terrific Elizabeth! Much work for sure but this result is worth the time I can tell you!
Big hugs, Susi

da tabbies o trout towne said...

bleu N squiggles, pleez ta tell Elizabeth next time her wantz sum paperz torn ta let ewe noe ;) ☺☺♥♥

Caty said...

Your Art page is really Stunning dear Elizabeth !! All the bits of paper fit so well together, that´s wonderful. I love the silver paint around the sentiment and the focal image.
I wish you a very nice afternoon, big hugss
Caty

Deepa Gopal said...

Lovely collage! Audrey and stunning goes perfectly well!

sheila 77 said...

Oh that was fun to read and watch the process going along - and reading your always marvellous comments on your progress.
The end result is definitely stunning.
I can understand why it took two days to fit it all together - so many choices to make of paper and positioning. You got it just right.

Sandra Cox said...

It truly is stunning:)
We're home. I'll be posting next week.
Thanks for leaving the light on for me.

Cindy McMath said...

Wow beautiful page Elizabeth! Great technique too.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Fantastic to convert these pieces into a picture a beautiful art, Elizabeth!!
Hugs, Elke

Neet said...

What a beautiful lady, she always oozed elegance in her films didn't she. I like how you gave her a suitable frame. A friend once showed me a similar technique to this using masking tape where you put pieces all over and then did something to the edges but apart from mock stitching (cross stitching) kI cannot think what she did. I must look up my sample.
Great idea of yours, but what a lot of work.
Did Bleubeard help at all? Or just supervise?
Hugs, Neet xx

nwilliams6 said...

Very cool look - I will have to try some torn pieces. She is stunning isn't she. Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and ideas and how you got to the end. I appreciate how willing you are to share.

Nancy said...

Torn bits look wonderful in this piece! Despite the challenges, it looks like fun.

Nancy said...

Torn bits look wonderful in this piece! Despite the challenges, it looks like fun.

Linda Kunsman said...

a beautiful collage page and great way to use up scraps of this and that! It all came together quite nicely.

Eileen Bergen said...

You put a lot of work into this collage, Elizabeth. But it truly is stunning! Thank you for sharing it at Art JOurney Journey for our Green theme. Eileen xx

Rosie said...

A wonderful page

Thank you so much for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY

Mrs.B said...

The torn scraps makes a wonderful background with lots of interest and texture. Love the picture of Audrey and the silver edging adds that touch of luxury.
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday.
Avril x

pearshapedcrafting said...

A fabulous new technique Elizabeth- it looks so good with that Audrey image too! Thank you so much for sharing this at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful page! I love the collage technique that you used, the papers look gorgeous layered together and the image and wording framed by the silver leaf is perfect 😀. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

Joan said...

Lovely collage piece and I love how you framed the images

Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday challenge

Joan