Thursday, February 27, 2020

Elements


I don't know about you, but sometimes I create art that actually pleases me.

This is one of those times.

I smile when I see it and wonder if I was really the one who made it.  Look at how it shimmers.

Although it IS me, I don't often make art that turns out even better than I foresaw it in my head when I started.

I only wish I felt the same every time I created something.

I actually like how I mixed the colors to turn this into a mixed media joy.

I don't often give myself a pat on the back, but I'm actually gushing over this entry.

When making mixed media, I often go overboard or not far enough. 

Today the Goldilocks effect took over and everything was just right.

For this page, I started with a sheet of 110 lb card stock to which I added acrylic paint, handmade shimmering mists, and a bit of stamping on the left side of the page.  Then I dipped my paper into the shaving cream and dye ink still sitting on my desk.  For the most part, I kept the blue/green shaving cream and dye ink on the right side of the page.  Now that the background was finished, I sewed a perimeter on the page using blue variegated thread.

Next I created the three hearts.  The top two were made by dipping them in the last of the shaving cream/dye ink mix.  The one on the bottom was an experiment.  I first colored the heart with yellow acrylic paint, and while still wet, I added blue acrylic paint, which immediately turned the heart green.   I was so happy. 

I found a rectangle of paper I made several years ago (probably close to 10 years, if truth be told) using a sample of a product I think was called string gel, or something similar.  Then I added a used ticket that was truly destined for the recycle bin.  See the grease stain on the left side?

Finally, I assembled everything by sewing the bits and pieces, including a scrap of red fabric I found on my craft room floor.  Unfortunately my needle didn't like the metal bits in the fabric, so it rebelled and broke.  First needle to break in a long time, so I've been very lucky.  By this time, I had changed thread, too, and used a different variegated thread to sew the hearts, the string gel paper piece, the ticket, and the fabric to the page.  Although there is a bit more "weight" on the right side of the page, I was hoping the three hearts would make up for the difference.

For this page, there are several Hearts, which is my theme at Art Journal Journey this month.  And because Try it on Tuesday's theme is Recycle Something (the ticket, the string gel paper, and the fabric scrap) and Go Green (the color of one of the hearts), I'll be joining them, too.
 
I'm so grateful you stopped by today.  I hope you like this entry as much as I do.  Bleubeard and I hope to see you at Art Journal Journey and Try it on Tuesday, too.   You still have nearly two days to join us at Art Journal Journey and about five days to join in the fun at Try it on Tuesday

20 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

"Sometimes"?! LOL.
It is beautiful! But I wonder.... how do you get it in the sewing machine? You cannot bend it, right?
Wet in wet sounds adventurous!

Oh, you´re welcome to talk to Hubby about those rebels in the sewing machine! ;-)

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful, stunning and amazing, love your post aGAIN TODAY \re the promarkers, yes they are great value, mine are old and only one has dried in around 5 years....but then I have not used them much at all. Thanks for your lovely comments.xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page Elizabeth, lovely colours and I like it, too! I rarely like things I make, but when I look back at things months or years later, I still find some things good. Have a great day, Valerie

Elkes Lebensglück said...

What a colorful heart world your journal, I love it and I love it from the heart
have a good day, Elke

nwilliams6 said...

Love the stitching, that you saved the ticket from the bin, the stamping, and your fun techniques on the base. This is very cool! Another fab creation for the hearts theme - can't wait to see the theme for March!

Sami said...

Why sometimes Elizabeth, you always make such pretty things.
I love the colours in this one.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I like all of the hearts on this Elizabeth. I always like your artwork.

Karen said...

What a great colorful collage!

CJ Kennedy said...

Colors, shapes, balance, just beautiful. If we created art perfection every time, there would be nothing distinct and wondrous.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm glad you appreciated your creation for the perfection it is. I think you are your own harshest critic lol All your creations look delightful to me :)

Jeanie said...

Don't you love those times when that happens? I do! And I love this as well. I can see your joy in it! It's very happy and of course the stitching adds that wonderful texture. I love it!

Sandra Cox said...

It pleases me too:)

Meggymay said...

As I read your post and looked at the photos I could tell you were happy with this page. It does look fantastic , everything you planned to add goes so well together. The colours look great as well, with Lovely stitching to join everything together .
Another great page for both the themes at Art Journal Journey and Try it on Tuesdays, we appreciate all your support this fortnight at TioT's.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I'm feeling your happiness here Elizabeth! This really is a lovely page and all the better for you loving it too! The colours, the composition, the sewing and the love..what more could this possibly need! Once again you are waving the Try It On Tuesday flag very high indeed, Thank you! Big Hugs, Chrisx

sheila 77 said...

I smiled when I read your comments on each photo. The whole piece and your descriptions are full of joy.
I love the cheeky bit of red top right and the squares and rectangles of stitching in the middle.
The ticket on the blue lightning paper adds a bit of surrealism.
So happy that you enjoyed it and I did too.

Cindy McMath said...

This is really beautiful Elizabeth! I”m glad you’re pleased with it. :)

kathyinozarks said...

Your page is really beautiful-I love the colors, shapes and textures. Great page-hugs

Rita said...

Yes--lovely composition and colors--all of it. :)

Rika said...

This is beautiful!
I love♥ the stitching

Rosie said...

Sooo beautiful, Elisabeth

Thank you for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY