Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Why must it be this hard?


I'm double dipping today, since I'm joining Jo at Let's Art Journal, our host this month at Art Journal Journey, whose theme is Something New, along with the talented artists at Try it on Tuesday, whose theme is What a cutie// Make someone smile today.

What's new?  The card stock, the postcard I got in the mail, and this set of corner stamps.

To be honest, I have had these for at least 15 years.  I think I received them in either 2004 or 2005 from a friend who no longer blogs.  They had never been out of the package until I created this last night.

Each of these foam backed corner stamps pulls apart.  I never really looked before, but it appears all the seasons are represented here.

The sentiment reads:
Decorating the house for Christmas was fun, but putting everything away should not be this hard.
If you don't smile when you see this, you must not feel well.

I stamped and fussy cut the four corners, then decided I didn't want to cover the lower right side of the postcard, which the corner would cover if I added it.  Instead, I added it to the sentiment.  I cut the relevant part of a reminder from the local zoo after I saw Jo's moose yesterday.

I really laughed when I saw this image.  That poor giraffe was trying to help, or at least I think it was.

Unfortunately, I didn't think about using the image until after Epiphany. 



I started this journal page using a new sheet of 110 lb card stock to which I added three of my handmade shimmering mists.  I colored the computer generated words I thought would match the image using water soluble crayons.  I stamped and fussy cut the corners and glued them to the postcard which I had purposely cut at wonky angles. I then glued everything to the page using a glue stick.

Thank you so very much for joining Bleubeard and me today as we laugh at this poor giraffe trying to put Christmas decorations away.  We also hope you will join us at Art Journal Journey and the current theme at Try it on Tuesday.

24 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

You made me laugh, 15 years unopened!
I love the giraffe with the chandelier! Very cute and fun work.

aussie aNNie said...

I am please you have now opened this up, great post and giraffe is cute.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun page Elizabeth! Glad you managed to make a start on your new stamps Valerie

Cath Wilson said...

Wonderful, Elisabeth - this so made me smile! I love that giraffe. Can't believe you waited so long to use new stamps, though - that looks like a very useful set, though it wouldn't be that easy to use without a stamp positioner. Great page.
Cath x

Let's Art Journal said...

Oh my, your page really made me smile! The giraffe postcard is so funny and I love the wording that you used (ha, ha!) 😁. Those stamped corners worked really well too and I love how you placed them at odd angles to match the chaos on the postcard image - perfect! Thanks for sharing your new card stock, postcard and corner stamp images with us over at Art Journal Journey and for making me smile over at Try it on Tuesday too! Hugs, Jo x

Sami said...

Nice corner stamps, after 15 years I'm surprised they are still in good order.
Recently I found some soap or candle moulds I bought also probably about 15 years ago and whatever material they are made of is degenerating...

My name is Erika. said...

You outdid yourself! I love this. Not only do I agree with the sentiment (and it seems to take forever to put away all the holiday decorations- they keep showing up as I suddenly realize I had something out here and there) but who doesn't love a giraffe? And nice corners. It is about time to use them as they work so well here. Thanks so much for linking up to Try It On Tuesday! This is perfect for the newest challenge. Happy Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

The giraffe made me smile. I love your page. You can always find a hand or two willing to help decorate, but the minute you look to see if an extra hand is around to take down the decorations and pack them away, poof!

Nancy said...

Great image and sentiment! A fun one.

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I have never seen corner stamps like these-pretty neat. I love your page-so fun-and the words are sooo true-no fun gathering and repacking all the Christmas items up which can be allot of time and work.
Happy Wednesday Kathy

Divers and Sundry said...

Undecorating is the worst part. That giraffe looks like it'd be helpful for the job :) I love the corner stamps.

Barbara said...

Great sentiment, no on likes to undecorate. Truth be told I don’t like decorating very much either. Not really a Scrooge, just ready to downsize.

Sandra Cox said...

Love this. Sooo funny. You always develop good ones.

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous page Elizabeth and I agree with that sentiment entirely.
I love the giraffe, it's such a fun scene too. your choice of corner fits the page so well and I can see these stamps getting used a lot in the future.
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday,
Avril x

Birgit said...

I love these corner stamps and it looks like you have one for each month! The giraffe is hilarious and my best friend would love this since she loves giraffes. I love the slightly off kilter look and the splatter background. the saying i agree with and still have to take all my stuff down.

Meggymay said...

This is a fantastic and fun page, I am smiling at the giraffe helping out with
the decorations. I hope he will be more careful than he looks. The words I totally agree with, it does take much longer to put things away.
It has to be nearly a record for keeping those stamps and not using them, they seem a lovely selection and I hope you will use them again.
Thank you for making me smile and adding your page to Try it on Tuesdays as well as Jo's Art Journal Journey theme. It fits both so well.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

There could be no sentiment with which I could so wholeheartedly agree. I haven't even started yet. For a lot of reasons. But it's making me crazy.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

The stamp set is cool and your journal page is great with the giraffe!
Have nice Day,
Greetings Elke

Cindy McMath said...

What a fun card and page - you really did make me smile! I see there is a heart corner stamp and I have a feeling we’ll be seeing that in the future! I didn’t decorate this year - my clean-up was a snap!

Neet said...

I have a few stamps like those Elizabeth, ones I have ha for ages and not used. In fact I have a drawer full of stamps waiting to be put on Easimount and they have been there years.
I can see you using this set many times in the future, great for all kinds of background things.
Love the giraffe - and yes, I can relate to the words.
Hugs, Neet xx

Eileen Bergen said...

What a hilarious page, Elizabeth! This is a classic.

I got all the decorations down before Dec. 6th, except for the tree. At least I stopped lighting it from dawn to dusk. Maybe tomorrow the tree will come down; maybe not.


Eileen xx

craftytrog said...

A fun page...I'm smiling :-)

Caty said...

This is a super beautiful Art journal page Elizabeth !! I love this girafe, the chaos and the wonderful background. I smile when I read you, I don´t think I could wait so long before using the stamp :)
I wish you a very nice Sunday, biig hugs
Caty

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love this! You really made me smile! The corner stamps worked well! Chris x