Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Something new in 2020 and my 2019 calendar review


Happy New Year everyone. As the fireworks go off in my neighborhood, are you ready for something new in 2020?

Actually Something New is what this month's host at Art Journal Journey is asking of us.  In case you haven't peeked, our host this month is the very talented Jo at Let's Art Journal.

First, let me review my calendar pages from 2019, beginning with December.

You can read about my boring life if you like minutia.

You can see all 12 months of my boring life here.

But what, you ask is new?  I've been saving a calendar since 2011, when Kate had a link on her blog.

Unfortunately, this is the only April, 2011 photo I could find.  I even show a camera that ws marginally better than the one I used for this post, but didn't take good photos at all.  The first year, I used a ready made calendar, but cut the days apart.  That was far more trouble than I actually wanted.

In 2012 (with a worthless camera) I cut rows of pre-made calendar pages.  Easier and quicker.

In 2013 (still with a worthless camera, but now with a good scanner) I was still cutting up pre-made calendar pages.

In 2014, the rows got closer together and I got a bit more colorful.

In 2015, I bought a new journal to keep the calendar in.  It was at that time, I also quit cutting the rows apart.  I also got a teacup stamp I could use for T Tuesday.

Here's 2016.  At least by then, I was scanning my pages.

In 2017 it appears my scanner is not doing too well.  At least my decorations are getting better!

2018 was the final year for this journal.  Being a bit thrifty (OK, call it cheap), I started looking for a new journal for my monthly calendar.

I found one that I had in my stash.  It was designed for scrapbooking and was NOT the right size for my calendar pages.

My friend Sally normally gives me her calendars because she is on every charity's list.  This year, she sent them all to the Goodwill.  I tried three different calendars and nothing worked.  That leads to Something New, Jo's theme at Art Journal Journey!

Lo and behold, Sally came through again.  She had an extra set of months from her Day Planner she buys every year.  I apologize, but even with the light on overhead, the low sun caused many shadows on the book and pages.

I had enough space to stamp something relevant for this month, 

and was even able to add some "watermark" style snowflakes.


Yes, dear friends, this is my Something New, in fact something completely new.  I had the 3-hole binder and my foodie friend Sally had the months.  Now I'm set for the year!!!

Bleubeard and I are thrilled that you visited today.  We hope you will join Jo, Yvonne, Bleubeard, and me this month at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by Something New.  Please be aware, we want to see your altered book pages, journal pages, loose journal art, canvases, fabric pages, and digital art.  However, we cannot accept cards, ATCs, ATCoins, tags, small index cards, or 3-D art, and will be forced to delete your entry.


23 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Have fun with your calendar. I hope 2020 will be a good and healthy year for you and your boys. Valerie

Meggymay said...

It was good to see the photos of your previous calendar pages, your one for the coming year looks great, using a binder is a super idea as it looks easy to get the pages free to stamp and add detail. I notices the sweet cups and saucers straight away to note the date was Tuesdays.
Happy New Years Day Elizabeth and I include Bleubeard and Squiggles as well.
Yvonne xx

Iris Flavia said...

A happy New Year to you, Elizabeth (and certainly Bleubeard, I hope to see "Love" and that he wasn´t out in the night´s chaos).
I like the new calendar. Have none yet (cheaper when the year has started already, right).
We had a store where you could buy art supplies but it has closed down. I only have two hearts as stamps... Well let´s see what this year brings on!

RO said...

It's very cool to see all of your calendars, and your life is far from boring my friend. I love, love, love the new Planner, and you know I'm a fan of those. I've been decorating all 5 of my planners for the new year, and having lots of fun. Each one works perfectly for different things. I love that the one you gave me allows me to keep track of finances and a budget, which has really been keeping me on track, Absolutely perfect, and I thank you again! Happy, Happy New Year!

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, how brilliant to see the whole year lined up in one post... I'm pretty sure there are a few that I missed. I haven't been as regular a visitor as I'd have liked in the last year. It comes in fits and starts! So glad you have the planner pages to turn over a new leaf for your calendar creations! The faded distressed snowflakes look great across the January days.

I'm still in Christmas hibernation (don't come out fully until after 12th Night on 6th January!), but am trying to do a bit of catching up with people even so. Happy New Year!
Alison x

Let's Art Journal said...

Happy New Year! Your new calender pages are perfect for the theme at AJJ and I love the fun snowman with his pink hat 😉. Wow, 2019 was definitely busy with all the entries you made against the dates - fabulous! Thanks so much for having me as host over at AJJ this month and for sharing your inspirational calender pages with us there! Hugs, Jo x

Neet said...

What a brilliant post Elizabeth, bet Bleubeard was behind the thinking on this one. It somehow has his thinking there somewhere in the background.
Loved the idea of you showing us all those calendars through the years and the different styles that came and went. love the idea of the new one for this year, what a friend you have in Sally.
Happy 2020 to you and Bleubeard - and all at Art Journal Journey, so glad I found you through Cath.
Hugs, Neet xx

DVArtist said...

Happy New Year! Yes I am ready for something new and good for 2020. Your calendars are fabulous. Oh the rocking horse you have on your desk is very much like one I have in my front window. I love the balance of them.

My name is Erika. said...

Happy New Year Elizabeth! This is a great calendar post. I love the multi year look back and even better, I love the planner idea. That is going to work out great and you can add in other things with the 3 ring binder style if you should chose. I like this something new for 2020! It is a great start to a new art year. Hope your 2020 is fantastic. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

"my boring life" roflol! I'm often grateful for "boring" when I see what other folks' "excitement" looks like lol I haven't bothered with a calendar for years since my days are much of a muchness. I like the ring binder idea.

Mia said...

Great calendar, Elizabeth! HAPPY NEW YEAR, my friend.

CJ Kennedy said...

Have a fun and creative New Year filling your new calendar. Looking forward to seeing what’s in store for you this year.

Cindy McMath said...

Great to see the evolution of your calendar Elizabeth. I admire that you have stuck with this so long. Happy New Year my friend.

kathyinozarks said...

I enjoyed seeing the progression of your calendar pages-I think you will love the daily planner I used those for several years when I was working.
thanks for all you do to help with my questions-hugs
Happy New Year Kathy

Birgit said...

It just shows how busy you have been and I love the style of your pages along with the sweet tea cup. Happy New Year ahead

aussie aNNie said...

Happy new year lovely lady..

Rita said...

Nice! I am starting my new bullet planner this year, too. It's exciting! Enjoy your new planner. Happy 2020! :)

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Your calendar pages are great, I love your creativity!
happy new year with lots of health and creativity
greetings Elke

craftytrog said...

Fun to see how your calendar has changed over the past decade Elizabeth. Your new one looks great.
You do far more cleaning than me by the way! Lol!
Wishing you a very happy 2020.
Alison xx

Jeanie said...

Wow, Elizabeth, I really admire your calendars. Quite impressive and what a list of accomplishment on a page or two of each! Bravo.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Happy New Year Elizabeth, I love seeing your diary, you say they maybe boring but I think it's a great way of keeping track of the day all in you very own design. I'm interested to see how you get on with the new style now with the days all mapped out for you. I'm sure you will find different ways of putting your own mark on them, i'm all for ring binders as they are so easy to add to or take away. Looking forward to having some free time soon to play along with Jo's AJJ theme.
Creative hugs Tracey xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Such a brilliant 'something new'! I think you are going to enjoy using this! Looking forward to seeing your first month filled in! Your calendar pages always look good! Hugs,Chrisx

ashok said...

Amazing!