Sunday, November 24, 2019

Monday Murals: Dear Wichita


I'm once again joining Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals. Although I post at my regular time, please be aware that Sami's mural linky won't go live until 9:01 a.m. my time.

I confess, this is not one of my favorite murals.   I just don't care for it.  It's called "Dear Wichita, Take Care, and Dream Big."

The mural was created by Lindsey Kernodle and friends KH, MS, NL, and YZ.

Granted, I recognize a big part of Wichita's skyline,

and the bridge that goes over the Big and Little Arkansas Rivers,

but the Keeper of the Plains has never played a trumpet and I'm not sure I like how it's depicted.  However, I have NO idea why the salamander, the bird, and the butterflies made it into this mural.  And are those supposed to be airplanes in the sky?

Although I'm not crazy about it, it's still an artistic mural and nicely done.  You will find it at Harbinger Construction, 1520 E. Douglas, Wichita, Kansas (USA).

If you enjoy murals, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.

This is Day 24 of Art Every Day Month (AEDM),
and I photographed a mural in my home town.


23 thoughtful remarks:

CJ Kennedy said...

If you hadn't pointed out any of those things, I wouldn't have found them odd. I wonder if the bird (is that a prairie chicken?), butterfly, and salamander are indigenous species to Wichita? Does Wichita have a vibrant jazz community? Maybe that's why the Keeper of the Plains is depicted playing a trumpet.

Valerie-Jael said...

I like this mural very much. From the style it reminds me of some 1930's woodcut prints. Hope your arm is getting better, have a great day, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

wow this is awesome the colours and print is just fabulous..x

froebelsternchen said...

Gorgeous!

Iris Flavia said...

Never having been there I thank you for your explanations!
I like the style, simple, clean, well done.
Well, btw, hope you are much better!

Cath Wilson said...

It's very clever and very BIG, but I suppose that is the aim? Yellow just isn't one of my favourite colours anyway, lol...though I love to see it. Thank goodness we're all so different.
Hope your arm is much better by now, Elisabeth.
AEDM seems to be having linky problems today.
Cath x

Words and Pictures said...

It's very dramatic, but I'm not sure about the limited colour palette - there's something about that shade of not-quite-orange, not-quite-yellow which doesn't quite do it for me. It's still a big improvement on dull grey bricks, mind you!
Alison x

Nancy said...

Wow- It's eye-catching and has lots of interesting elements that are well done. Since it's a "dream big" concept, and it IS big, I guess the elements don't need to be fully representational as in The Keeper of the Plains? But I would stop and look- it's pretty dramatic.

Sami said...

It's not that bad Elizabeth, nice skyline, the planes do look a bit strange. Is the salamander indigenous to Wichita?
Thanks for participating Elizabeth and I hope you're recovering well.

My name is Erika. said...

I actually like this one. I think it is a great advertisement for Wichita. I wonder if that is maybe the state butterfly or amphibian (or reptile). And I think the artistic license taken with the city symbol works. Welcoming the world to Wichita maybe? I know I read a book about women aviators last spring and they said how there was a big airplane manufacturer in the city-not sure when-but the book was set the in the late 1920's and 1930's so maybe then? I hope your hand is doing better and you can move it around OK. And you are having a good weekend too. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

It'd be fun to read the artist's description of the work. It's not resonating with you as a general member of the public, so in that I wonder how successful you can call it... Someone needs to print out a legend explaining some things and post it at the site ;)

DVArtist said...

The art is not bad. However, if it doesn't depict the area that is where is falls short. Like the one in my town.

Meggymay said...

It seems a very modern mural in style. For me not knowing the USA it could represent a number of towns in many countries. However you have explained about The Keeper of the Plains to us before and I didn't imagine him looking like this.
Yvonne xx

David M. Gascoigne, said...

This is terrific. The creative use of murals can go a long way in beautifying a city and certainly are a great step up from graffiti.

craftytrog said...

It's an interesting mural. Thanks for sharing.

Sharon Madson said...

I agree with you Elizabeth about this one; rather strange depiction of the Keeper of the Plains.
Do you think the lizard or salamander and bird and such are Indian symbols of some kind?
I don’t know. Just trying to think of something. LOL
Happy Monday!

Rita said...

It's one of those kind of art pieces I don't understand, either. Really seems stark and dark for a town depiction and what the saying is. But it's better than a plain wall, I guess--LOL! :)

Tom said...

...I like the boldness and the limited colors!

Bertiebo said...

fortunately we do not all have the same taste. I like this one a lot!

NatureFootstep said...

a nice mural IMO

biebkriebels said...

I agree with you the painting is well done.

Jeanie said...

Not my favorite of your murals shown but I think the technique is quite good.

Lowcarb team member said...

Somehow the colours work well together …

All the best Jan