Monday, October 21, 2019

Haircut Day


Since I have a few hours between Monday Murals and T Time, I though I should show 

what I'm calling Haircut Day. 


No, not my haircut, but


my Mediterranean herbs.


I used a Sharpie to write on the bags and to denote the year they were harvested.

In the photo you see sweet marjoram and cilantro, which some people call coriander.  What I learned is the cilantro consists of the leaves and the seeds are coriander.


I got a bit carried away with the photos in the beginning, but as the day started to get much colder and MUCH windier, I slowed on the photos and concentrated more on the task at hand.



Next was French tarragon, a new to me herb this year.

I barely cut the edges of the French and Province lavenders.  There is so much more left on each of these plants.

Not so with the Tri-Color sage.  This was all I got.  I read that too much water, which we got in the form of rain for weeks on end, was the death knell to any sage.  The other sage I purchased this year died a horrible drowning death.  I gave the sage to my friend Scott when he dropped by.  I thought he might take more herbs, but this was all he wanted.  Since I don't use much sage, I was happy to give it all to him.

This is the rosemary I nearly killed this spring when I brought it outside and didn't allow it to slowly adjust to the excessive daily sun.

Even after the haircut, it is still doing quite well.  I'll have my choice of fresh or dried soon enough.

Once the two nights of hard freezes were over and my frost sensitive herbs were safely inside, the rains stopped and everything began to dry out.  That meant I was able to mow.



My Wichita flag graces my front lawn.

If you look closely, you will see the rocking horse that graces my front porch.

My pumpkin is barely visible from the street.  Even the hay bales don't show up that well.

My hostas, on the other hand, seem to be doing fine.

The back yard was so overgrown it had to be mowed twice.

Personally, I think it needs to be raked, even though I have a mulching mower.

I had mowed at least five hours before these final photos were taken.


It seems Haircut Day turned into three days at my place.  Different types of haircuts than I'm sure you expected to see.

Thanks so much for joining Bleubeard and me for Haircut Day.  Your visit means the world to me.  I'll see you soon at T time.


17 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

glad you got all your herbs cut back before the frosts get them. Your comment about the plants in the Palm House bed growing whilst I was there made me chuckle. I am sure by next week all the beds will have been re-planted and you'll be able to see them from the opening shot too.

Iris Flavia said...

I´ve never heard of French tarragon!
Great idea to freeze the herbs. All I have left is parsley and chive, which I will bring inside to eat up only.

Wow, you have a lot of space!
5 hours, crikey!!

Yes. I thought, huuhhhh, I haven´t had a haircut in two years!
(I lost so much hair due to medication it´s not worth the money).

Valerie-Jael said...

That was a lot of work to harvest the herbs and get the garden cleared up, well done. Have a great week, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

I bet it was a good feeling as all this was done. Much work. Well done dear Elizabeth!
Happy new week!
Susi xxx

My name is Erika. said...

Your yard is looking good. I find rosemary is always tricky. I seem to buy a new plant every year because even though I bring it in, by February my house gets dry enough that the plant starts to die off. (It's a winter of the woodstove). Do you freeze your herbs? The one I wish I could bring in and have last is basil as that always remind me of summer. But it just doesn't last that long, even well cared for all summer. I enjoyed this post. And happy new week. See you later for T. hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

I’ve never tried to grow fresh herbs. Looks like you got a fine crop. Now that you have had a hard frost, no more mosquitoes. Your yard looks good. Kudos to you for all your hard work.

Barbara said...

Thanks for the tour! I’m impressed with so many herbs, interesting about the names of cilantro and coriander. I notice they are all in pots, easy to move in and out. I’ve never had an herb garden. If I liked to cook, I might have had one. Lol!

Words and Pictures said...

You've been hard at work with herby haircut day. Looks like you'll have a good supply to see you through the winter months, and the garden looks well prepped for the hard season ahead too.
Alison x

kathyinozarks said...

Your yard is looking great-ready for winter-glad you were able to save your herbs-I like to dry herbs when I have them-I just lay them out on that butcher paper and they dry pretty fast-freezing is great too--Happy Monday and for sharing your hair cut days

Divers and Sundry said...

You have such a good variety of spaces for your plants. Such a good-sized back yard with open lawn and that hedge/shrub/tree border. I'll bet the birds love you :)

I don't ever trim back my herbs before frost.

Halle said...

You grow so many types of herbs! So cool. Only my rosemary made it in the house this fall. Although I did pick up a thyme at Trader Joe's yesterday. We do love our thyme!

Jeanie said...

I've been bringing in herbs to dry. Basil is done; thyme came in today and tomorrow oregano (I only have so much space for it!) Then sage. Then more thyme. Oh, and I almost forgot the tarragon. I'm going to try to winter the rosemary plant inside; dicey but I'll try before I strip it. Three cheers. All that haircutting takes a lot of time.

Meggymay said...

You got a good looking crop from your herbs this year. I freeze a lot of mine at this time of year. The Bay and the old Rosemary bush we leave outside,
they seem to survive better than moving them inside. It would be just my luck if we lost them this winter,
Yvonne xx

Sami said...

A lot of work to pick and freeze the herbs Elizabeth. As it never gets that cold here I don't freeze my herbs and they grow year round, although they are most likely to die with the heat.

Let's Art Journal said...

You had me smiling at haircut day, your herbs must have enjoyed having a trim ...lol 😉. You harvested so many wonderful herbs too, they should last you quite a while! Wishing you a lovely new week! Hugs, Jo x

RO said...

I'm headed over right now to grab some herbs and spices!(lol) Wow! I haven't heard of a few of those. I just grabbed 15 packages of seeds for $.10 each from the Dollar Tree, 5 flower pots for $.20 each and a water pump spray bottle for $.45 (originally $4.50) from Dollar General. I'm going to try again next year to plant some spices and herbs, and was told I could save the seeds in the fridge to keep them fresh to use for upcoming Spring. I need to be checking in with you and Sandra for tips to keep them alive.(lol)

Lowcarb team member said...

Herbs wonderful herbs :)
Your yard (garden) looks good, it was nice seeing all of your photographs.

All the best Jan