Friday, October 4, 2019

Friday Smiles 340: Inside the Eisenhower Visitor Center, Gift Shop, and more


It's Friday and time once again to join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the ladies at Friday Smiles.  I'm not going to start with any funnies today.  Instead, I want to get right to the Visitor Center and Gift Shop where I got my tickets.

The first thing I did when I arrived was get my ticket.  I wasn't sure if I'd have to turn it in at the museum, so I took a picture of it.  Fortunately I asked if I could keep it and was told I could and the lady stamped it in case I needed to leave for some reason.

Next it was off to see the 23 minute film.  In it I learned that both political parties wanted Eisenhower to run on their ticket for President.  I thought these rubber type toys were adorable, but passed and didn't even look to see the price.

One of these mugs would have been nice for T Tuesday, but again, I have too many mugs as it is.

Lots of toys that appeal to boys.

All are designed to replicate something Eisenhower accomplished in his life.

Eisenhower was a champion for peace.

As I prepared to purchase two note cards, I saw a few more people had arrived to take advantage of Smithsonian Museum Day.

Behind this display are the doors that lead to the theater where the 23 minute orientation film would soon start again.

Then it was off to Eisenhower's boyhood home.  People were already patiently waiting for the first tour of the day to begin.  Tours ran every 15 minutes and I was in the first tour.

While we waited, I took photos of the exterior of the home.

Having owned a Victorian, I know how much the upkeep is on one of these homes.


I got a little carried away snapping photos of this home.

While we waited for our tour guide to arrive,

I decided to get a bit "artsy" with my ticket and the home in the background.

It was a very glum day and I had all kinds of trouble trying to get this plaque lightened enough so it could be seen.

In the background, on the left is part of the Abilene and Smoky Valley Railroad train that one could ride on the weekends.  On the right is the fountain with the Place of Meditation on its right.  Please note there is very little wind at the moment I took this photo because the fountain is flowing as it should.

After the tour, I walked around the other side of the house.  Note another tour was about to start.


I somehow doubt these air conditioners were available when Ike lived there as a child.  However, the place felt wonderful inside and you forgot how humid it was until you stepped back outside.



This photo was taken from the web site because it showed the plaque much better than what I was able to photograph.

That's it for today.  I don't want to overload you with photos because I took a TON inside the house.   That's where we'll head next Friday.   It's once again time to see what others are smiling about this Friday.  Please don't forget to start your weekend off right by visiting Annie for a few Friday Smiles.  We would love to have you join us, too.


19 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

I was wondering whether you couldn't take photos inside- should have known better! will look out next week.

Valerie-Jael said...

He sure lived in a lovely house. Good that they also show a film to get one orientated. Gift shops are always nice, but mostly expensive! Have a great day. My back is still very bad, so didn't get much sleep again. Valerie

Words and Pictures said...

I do think Museum Day is a brilliant thing... with all those treasures the Smithsonian has to offer, it's great to have that opportunity to visit some of them for free. Such a charming boyhood home Eisenhower had - like something out of a picture book. Looking forward to seeing the inside!

Just a warning... you have to be a bit quicker getting the embossing powder onto the image if you're using Archival ink - it doesn't have such a long drying time as embossing ink. But I do find with the softer foam of most embossing ink pads, you get a squidgier, bolder impression, so if you've got a stamp with fine lines it can make a real difference. With my quote stamps, for instance, it can be the difference between being able to read the words and not!
Alison x

Lisca said...

What a beautiful house! I take it his parents were well to do. I can well imagine it takes quite a lot of upkeep with all that wood.
I love gift shops but I would go in there at the end rather than at the start of my visit.
I think it's a super idea to have free museum days to encourage people to visit museums. For some people it's just not on their radar.
Anyway, I am looking forward to see the inside of the house next week.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Lisca

mamapez5 said...

I have to admit I enjoy browsing the gift shops wherever I go, but i am sometimes amazed by the amount of souvenirs some people buy.
That is a very elegant home. I love the white exterior and the very green grounds. I particularly like bay windows, and the upper terrace looks inviting. It is interesting to see where such an influential life began.
Kate x

My name is Erika. said...

That is a really pretty home. Very different from what we have here (as I have said before). I really enjoy house visiting and house looking, and even wondering what houses are like inside when I can't go in them. I say that because I can't wait to see (hopefully we can) see what is inside. Happy Friday. Have a super weekend. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

What a lovely house !!! Super!
Happy Friday dear Elizabeth!
Big hugs, Susi





Annie said...

What a beautiful house. I'm sure you really enjoyed your visit there.
Hugs,
Annie x

kathyinozarks said...

I enjoyed more of the tour-my brother owned a huge vintage victorian home up in northern Indiana-he ended up selling it and moved to a large ranch-do to the upkeep of the grounds and the home-they are beautiful though Happy Friday

CJ Kennedy said...

What a beautiful house. It looks a lot like my dad's foster parents, Doris and Charlie's house when they moved to Newburyport. Enjoy your day.

Meggymay said...

It does look a lovely home, but I can see from how it was built and the materials used that the cost of keeping it in good condition must have been very expensive. Its good that it is now a museum and that folk can see where this great man qas brought up.
Yvonne xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

What an interesting place to visit. I love the house, bet it was a great place to live though it looks as though it would take some looking after but it's survived which is so good. Can't wait to see the inside so see you next friday. Hugs, Angela xXx

Elizabeth said...

Hi Elizabeth, I'm still chuckling at the two parties wanting Eisenhower - he must have been some man! The house is beautiful. Look forward to photos of the inside. Elizabeth x

Rita said...

That's just a beautiful home. What a place for him to grow up. :)

Powdered Toast Man said...

I wanna be like Ike.

Jeanie said...

This is really cool. I think I would have loved visiting the museum. Memorabilia from that period is so fascinating, maybe because it was MY childhood, too. And then to learn about Eisenhower with it, what a great day.

Iris Flavia said...

It really is a shame what we "learned" in history lessons at school.
Thank you for being a teacher now to me!

Divers and Sundry said...

His boyhood home and grounds are lovely! What a wonderful place to grow up :)

Caty said...

This is a wonderful house Elizabeth !! The shop are always very interesting with all those souvenirs. I´m sure you spent a lovely day. I look forward to see the inside. I wish you a very nice day,
biiig hugs, CAty