Saturday, October 5, 2019

Saturday afternoon at the movies: a film nearly everyone has heard of


Please note I had scheduled this post in advance.  Had I not, I would not have had anything for today.  I am at my neighbor's because my internet is not working.  It's either that or my modem.  I'll be by to visit each of you, my dear friends and followers as soon as I'm back online.  Thanks for understanding, and I hope you continue to visit until I can reconnect.

My internet friends CJ and Kathy are part of this meme where you post your all time favorite films.   I'm not sure I have more than about FOUR favorite films, but I have films I have seen that I can share.  Some I've even seen more than once!  However, unlike CJ, who says the meme cites there is no need to explain why you like the film, I prefer the way my internet friend Birgit reviews films.   They are often hilarious, many times irreverent, but always in a polite and kind way.  Her synopses are not to be missed. If you aren't familiar with her movie reviews, please check out her blog.

One thing you should know about my choice is you won't find any "chick flicks" here and any romance is simply a side effect of the major overall film.  And I assure you, most of you will have heard or seen this film.  I saw it on TV, so I know it's available.

This film was based on the 1990 book by Michael Crichton, which I read long before I saw the film.  Personally, there were parts of the book I liked better than the film, and there were parts of the film I liked better than the book.  The film came out in 1993.  To say it was a hit is an understatement.  With a $63 million dollar (USD) budget, it grossed $1.029 billion dollars (USD) at the box office.

Steven Spielberg directed the film written by Crichton and paired it with George Lucas's state of the art Industrial Light and Magic special effects.  He then gave us a sci-fi film that kept us on the edge of our seats during a real hurricane.  Yes, while filming, a hurricane passed over the island and Spielberg decided to use the footage as part of the film.  That, in conjunction with putting CGI on the map, made this a film that is timeless and truly stands the test of time.  You will truly be in awe of the special effects.

Thanks for visiting today.  I believe you can find Jurassic Park on Netflix and Amazon Prime, in addition to it being shown on occasion on cable TV in the states.

14 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Sorry about your internet, what an awful service you have. Good that you have a nice neighbour! I did see this film many years back, but liked the book much better, as is very often the case. Have a great day, and hope you are soon back in the online world, Valerie

RO said...

OMG - I've been there, and totally feel your pain. Hopefully the matter will be resolved soon, but this is the pits! Your neighbor is wonderful. Most people here would not share their home or services like that - ever!(lol) I watched Jurassic Park back in the day, but it wasn't my fave. Still hard to imagine that it earned so much, and that they came out with even more. Hope your weekend is a good one. It's 5:40am this morning and for once, the temp is manageable at 66 degrees instead of heat indexes of 99 or so! Hugs, RO

kathyinozarks said...

I hope you get your internet up and running soon-we have had more issues with our new service here at the lake.
This is a fun movie great choice Happy Saturday Kathy

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun film. Sorry you're still having internet problems. You need to give AT&T the heave ho and go to another provider especially if the modem was provided by AT&T.

My name is Erika. said...

This is the best of them all and definitely in my top 5 ever films. I love dinos and all this somewhat biology and just the film! Very nice pick this week Elizabeth. Hope your internet gets squared away soon. Hugs-Erika

Birgit said...

I am so thankful every time I read what you say about me here..I am humbled and happy as well🌹. This film was very scary for me and, to this day,one of the most realistic of the dinosaur films. I jumped out of my seat more than once and Jeff Goldblum is priceless in this movie.

Iris Flavia said...

So sorry about your internet - annoying!!!
We´re so used to the service these days, right.
So many things we cannot do even without! Transfer money, get your post... no internet, ha!!!! What do you do?!

Hehe, I love that one part of the movie even made it to The Simpsons :-)

Divers and Sundry said...

I've seen that one once, back when my oldest was barely old enough but wanted to see it. I haven't seen the sequels and haven't read the book.

My computer issues are slowing down my blog participation, too :( We'll both be back to normal soon, I trust :)

Sandra Cox said...

I hate to hear that. It's so irritating to have computer issues. Hope you get squared away soon.
I'm rather partial to Blue though, he doesn't make an appearance in the original Jurassic Park:)

Rita said...

One of the few movies I saw for the first time in a movie theater. Wow! Was great! :)

Sami said...

I hope your internet service has been fixed. Very kind of your neighbour to let you use her net Elizabeth.
I watched this movie when it came out and I've seen in a few other times on tv.

Words and Pictures said...

Wonderful, wonderful film! Sam Neill, Jeff Goldblum, Laura Dern, Bob Peck, Samuel L Jackson all on fantastic form, and maybe the least-annoying, actually-good child actors ever! And the dinosaurs too, of course... Pure escapism and excitement. I might need to go and watch it again now...!
Alison x

Caty said...

Very good movie Elizabeth !! thanks so much for sharing. I´ve seen it twice and liked it very much, because the mind flies far away.
I wish you a very nice afternoon,
Biiig hugs, Caty

pearshapedcrafting said...

We have been to see all of the Jurassic Park follow ups as well as this one but this is still our favourite - it was something different and I love seeing Sam Neill in anything!!!! We have also watched them several time over on DVD! Chrisx