Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Dream: Homage to Linda and Eileen


I'd like to begin by sharing my thoughts and hopes for Japan after the deadly Typhoon Hagibis hit Tokyo and other parts of the island on Sunday.

Now to our regularly scheduled post.  It's time to once again join Eileen aka The Artful Crafter our host this month at Art Journal Journey where her theme is Dreams and/or WishesSomehow, this never made it to the AJJ page, so I've loaded it now.

I call this Homage to Linda and Eileen.

This homage goes to Linda at heARTfully Inspired by Linda and to our host Eileen at The Artful Crafter

I've been wanting to create something like Linda creates for several weeks, and this seemed like the perfect time to try it.

Of course I couldn't forget Eileen, whose creation one sees on the Art Journal Journey homepage.  It is a tribute to Linda's art.



I've had trouble getting splatters to work in the past.  However, I think I know why now.  I never watered down the ink enough before.

This page is all about the layers and the splats.  I began by gluing a piece of vintage sheet music to my substrate, 110 lb card stock.  Next I painted the sheet music with my copper handmade shimmering mist.  At the same time, I colored the word "dream," part of a book of words and quotes gifted me by Erika who we all know as BioArt Gal.  The next layer was drywall tape, which I painted with my copper mist, too.  The next layer was some of my handmade (by me) paper that I sewed to the drywall tape.  The final layer was the word "dream" that I elevated slightly with glittery white thread.  I sewed this to the rest of the assembly using variegated thread.

Thank you beyond belief for visiting today.  I am very grateful and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own dreams or wishes.  


25 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful piece Elizabeth, I like it. Lovely colours, too. Have a fun day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, the people in Japan have to take a lot...

Beautiful piecce of art - it shows one my dreams destroyed, sadly.
When I was a kid my Dad forced me to learn to play the piano. We had/have a real Steinweg and I got notebooks from his Father who died when my Dad was 14 years old.
I hated it, only played once after and once before lesson and was always way too fast. I have no feeling for tact. My Dad bought a metronome and I just.could.not.do.it.
And that was it. Ingo 10 years ago told me into buying a keyboard, but I cannnot read notes no more and my interest wasn´t big enough.
My Mom liked to hear me play, guess I have the lack of having a feeling for tact from her!

So many layers in your artwork and my relation to pianos...
I love your piece, also the colors!

Sami said...

Lovely colours and layers Elizabeth. The splatters look very nice too :)
My daughter and son in law are going to Japan for a week on Friday, so hopefully nothing else happens.

Cloudia said...

Bless Japan yes. Love the atmospheric palimpsest

froebelsternchen said...

My heart goes out for Japan and your wonderful layered dream mykes me happy and brings me joy!
What a wonderful page for Eileen's topic Elizabeth! Gorgeous!
Happy day!
Susi xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Yes, so many made homeless, I hope they get help soon!
I love this Elizabeth - been looking to make one myself - I love these Autumnal colours and you know I always love seeing your handmade papers and stitching! Hugs, Chrisx

My name is Erika. said...

This is amazing. I've loved Lida's and Eileen's and now yours too. The layers make it special. I like the addition of the drywall tape and the cool papers. And you can never go wrong with splatters. And speaking of the typhoon. Those photos and videos are unbelievable. Some of those waves, holy cow. Those poor people who get it. Happy Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Fantastic! Really nice splatter pattern, too.

Cindy McMath said...

This is a stunning piece Elizabeth! I love the stitching, layers and splatters. The colour is divine! I’m sorry you haven’t been enjoying your gelli plate. I wanted to relay what a friend told me as he is researching which plate would work best with fabric. Apparently the speedball plate is especially made for use with their inks and does not work well with acrylic. A friend bought one as it was a bit cheaper than the original Gelli Arts plate, and I can tell you first had the paint sticks to the plate and pulls off paper (she didn’t know what my other friend found out before buying). Not sure what kind yours is. I’m going to try to make a tutorial at some point but not sure when I’ll have time - maybe Xmas holidays! My thoughts are also with Japan. What a terrible disaster.

Caty said...

I´m sad when I think in Japan, I hope people could receive help on time. Earth catastrophes are always sad.
I have to say your Art page is WOwww A-MA-ZING Elizabeth !! Gorgeous design and so great layers, Fantastic !
I wish you a very nice day, and send big hugss
Caty

Nancy said...

Layers and splats work! This is just lovely.

Divers and Sundry said...

Striking! I love the color and how you layered the pieces.

Linda Manning Findley said...

Oh, "E" I really like this piece ... super job getting a big bang for your buck and less is more ...

da tabbies o trout towne said...

this rather looks like a person...the musical notes at the top as eyes and the ones at the bottom as legs...neat piece Elizabeth !! :) ♥♥

Sandra Cox said...

Excellent. Music and dreams go hand in hand, don't they.

Lowcarb team member said...

Yes, I echo your thoughts about Japan …

I do like the colours and layers here, I think your splatters look great.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

Linda and Eileen must be remarkable muses because this is one of my favorite all time pieces of yours. There's wonderful air around it so it's so easy to see every detail and I think the splatters worked beautifully.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Our thoughts go out to Japan, such devastation...

So nice to see your homage piece Elizabeth, I love layered pieces like this as they draw the eye in. As if each layer has a meaning the colours reflect the season working together in harmony. Beautiful.
Sending hugs your way Tracey xx

aussie aNNie said...

Love this, great post.x

Meggymay said...

A beautiful page created with Eileen and Linda in mind. I love the layers and the artsy splatters and the rich autumn shades of colour.
Thanks for mentioning AEDM I hope to get signed in soon.
Yvonne xx

Halle said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this page!!!!! IT's amazing!!

Linda Kunsman said...

Sad devastation brought on by nature in Japan. My heart goes out to all.

Your art journal page- oh Elizabeth it is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! You nailed it my friend! I love the color combination, and your splatters are fantastic! What an honor for you and Eileen to have liked my pieces enough to emulate them. Thank you.
PS- I think you need to make more of these:):)

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, Elizabeth! The colors are stunning and the layering is superb. Linda really started a beautiful style trend, didn't she? Thank you for sharing this at AJJ for my dream theme. Eileen xx

Words and Pictures said...

I just love this... those wonderful textured layers and the bold uplifting colours, and of course all that wonderful splatter - simply magical!
Alison x

Neet said...

What fantastic colours! I love how you have layered up these pieces, they draw the eye in and say so much. One of my favourite things about art is seeing texture and this combines both my love of colour and texture. The little splodges you have used prevents it being stark with the orange against the white and marries the hessian with the other papers perfectly.
Hugs, Neet xx