Thursday, August 29, 2019

Where there is love


I'm once again joining Gill of Gibby Frogett Craftations this month's host at Art Journal Journey where her theme is Anything With Eyes.

This is one of those journal pages that didn't turn out the way I started it.  It decided to have a mind of its own, so I chose not to fight it.

Granted, it's a very simple entry, but I was pressed for time.

The quote reads:
Where There is Love,
Nothing is Missing.
   ~Jonathan Lockwood Huie

I had originally intended for this to be a beach holiday theme, focusing on the sun glasses covering the eyes, but when I found this quote left over from Halle's month of Words at Art Journal Journey, the focal image, which was a junk mail ad, took on a different meaning.  That's when I decided to use my black water soluble crayon on a piece of watercolor paper and blend it into a background.  I then found an envelope I was planning to recycle, and cut it to fit the watercolor paper.  Then the entire entry was sewn to the construction paper using variegated thread.  I also sewed the quote to the paper using the same variegated thread.  Although the thread was simply gorgeous on the spool, it was quite disappointing once I started using it.

Thanks for stopping by today.   Please join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey, too.

20 thoughtful remarks:

Cindy McMath said...

Wonderful page as is your Eye Spy page - sometimes the best pieces end up different than what we first imagined.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page and a wonderful quote. Great sewing! Valerie

Gibby Frogett said...

Another masterpiece for AJJ Elizabeth - thank you :)
It doesn't look simple to me - especially with all that fabulous stitchwork which I hope you've realised by now I am always in awe of. I would love to try that but still have curtains alterations etc to do and I'm paranoid I'll break machine if I attempt a paper project before completing my chores :)
I love your page and the imagery and thats a great quote,so true.
Gill xx

My name is Erika. said...

It does work perfect for AJJ with those big sunglasses covering their eyes. Or really protecting those eyes. I could use a lounge on the beach day. It is really humid this morning. Happy almost end of the week. Hugs-Erika

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is a lovely art page Elizabeth.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Nice journal page. And I love seeing others using stitching to collage, as I've recently taken to it in my familial journal - and other places - as another wee way I can reduce my carbon footprint.

CJ Kennedy said...

Nice. I love how things seem to start out one way, but then morph into something else.

Barbara said...

A simple piece, yet with some impact. Your stitching is unique with a way of drawing the eye inward.

Marfi-topia said...

wonderful work here!! my best art is the one that has it's own mind :) love this!

kathyinozarks said...

we need to listen to our muse-love the page

Jeanie said...

I like the quote and how you interpreted the theme. Isn't it annoying when you have something beautiful like your thread and then when you use it, it doesn't play the way you'd hoped? The photo looks great but I know all too well that disappointment!

Divers and Sundry said...

I love how you were flexible with this :) not insisting on following your preconceived idea but allowing yourself to be open to new inspiration.

Sandra Cox said...

I think it looks great! Makes me want to be on the beach.

Meggymay said...

Its a super background colour for the beach photo you used.. it really draws the eye to the scene. The quote is lovely as well.
Yvonne xx

sheila 77 said...

It may have started off as simple but it certainly didn't end that way. The black border, the perfect holiday photo and the really powerful message created a heartfelt piece of art. The stitching was a lovely finishing touch.
Love, Sheila

froebelsternchen said...

Not just the stitchwork makes it so beautiful. It's a wonderful quote and perfect message and a top entry for Gill's collection .
Thank you so much.
Susi xxx

Words and Pictures said...

I love your page - a really strong connection between words and picture - I can see how the combination made you change direction. And the stitching adds just the right touch of textural detail. Oh, and the horse made me laugh a lot - which is pretty good going in the midst of the current UK political situation!
Alison x

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous and ever so interesting reading.x

Let's Art Journal said...

It's a beautiful page! The quote is perfect and goes beautifully with the picture 😁. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Neet said...

Very simple, didn't take long to do (your words) - but ... it gets the message over and is a lovely page. Sometimes the pages we spend ages on do not work and do not convey the message we want to but this does what it is intended to do. Plus it has the wonderful stitching which we have come to know and associate with you.
Love to the three of you
Neet xxx