Saturday, August 24, 2019

Saturday Afternoon at the Movies


My internet friends CJ and Kathy are part of this meme where you post your all time favorite films.   I'm not sure I have more than about FOUR favorite films, but I have films I have seen that I can share.  Some I've even seen more than once!  However, unlike CJ, who says the meme cites there is no need to explain why you like the film, I prefer the way my internet friend Birgit reviews films.   They are often hilarious, many times irreverent, but always in a polite and kind way.  Her synopses are not to be missed. If you aren't familiar with her movie reviews, please check out her blog.

One thing you should know about my choice is you won't find any "chick flicks" here and any romance is simply a side effect of the major overall film.   I realize some of you took exception to the movie I reviewed last week and considered it a "chick flick."  I promise, there will be no question this week as I review

the Bone Collector.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT a fan of Angelina Jolie.  I don't care for her looks or her acting.  The fact that she's the protagonist and heroine doesn't diminish the fact she is bland and, at times almost robotic.  There is little charisma between her and her co-star.  It's been called a "crime thriller" and received mixed to negative reviews, which may coincide with my negative feelings for Jolie.  For some reason, I feel she was woefully miscast in this film.

The Bone Collector (1999) is loosely based on the book of the same name written by Jeffery Deavers.  Unfortunately, if you are watching carefully, you know who the serial killer is in the very beginning.

Jolie is a rookie cop who found a clue and has chosen to shut down a rail line to preserve it.  Soon, Denzel Washington, who is brilliant and the saving grace of this film, teams up with Jolie from his quadriplegic bed.  Although this is considered a thriller, I found it rather formulaic.  If you are looking for action, the film has it in spades.  The budget was spent on helicopters, gory effects, and New York City streets filled with cop cars.  The only saving grace was the charisma oozing from Washington.

The reason I chose this film was because I caught flack last week for my poor choice of what some thought was a "chick flick."   At least you can admit, this is on the opposite end of the spectrum.  Love it or hate it, it's my choice for Saturday Afternoon at the Movies.  It's on cable TV all the time, and you shouldn't have trouble finding it.  I think you can watch it free on the internet, too.

There will be no Saturday movie next week because it's the end of the month and I have art I need to finish and my monthly calendar to share. However, I'll be back on the 7th with a hopefully wonderful film for your enjoyment.


11 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Not a film I like, and I am not a fan of this meme, either, as I am not a film watcher and always prefer to trust my own taste when I do get round to seeing one. Enjoy your weekend, Valerie

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I'm not a fan of Angelina Jolie either. But I like Denzel Washington in every movie I've seen him in. I think I saw this movie awhile ago, but I barely remember it, so it didn't leave much of an impression on me.

CJ Kennedy said...

I like Denzel Washington, but didn't care for this film.

kathyinozarks said...

I am not a fan of her either but I do like Denzel Washington-my husband I am sure has seen this one-you know me I am mostly a Hallmark movie gal (smiles)
Happy Saturday

Divers and Sundry said...

I always get a kick out of your in-but-not-of the meme intro to these posts, saying you prefer giving a review of films rather than the meme's listing without review lol Since I never review films, never having learned enough to do that, but share excerpts and links to other people's reviews when I find them, our community is all over the map on how we share movies. I did this meme on Facebook.

I haven't seen this movie, but I've seen her in a few things I liked well enough. There aren't any actors I avoid movies because of except Woody Allen. The movie is getting a new TV series based on it, but I haven't heard who will star.

R's Rue said...

I like Denzel.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

Haven't seen this film. I am not a huge Jolie fan-not that I dislike her but I think she is overrated. And Miss Congeniality isn't a chick flick for a chick comedy. OK, I made that phrase up but I meant it's a comedy that stars a female. I still like it. Hope you're having a great weekend. hugs-Erika

Rita said...

I am not a fan of Angelina, either, but Denzel saved this movie. :)

froebelsternchen said...

I like Denzel Washington, yes!

Sami said...

I like Denzel Washington as an actor, but also not a fan on Angeline, she's too robotic as you say, maybe too much botox.
Can't remember seeing this movie, but remember the name.

Birgit said...

I saw this in the theatre when it came out. I like Angelina but this movie was bland. Denzel was the saving grace. When this was made Christopher Reeve wanted to make the film but the producers et al, were too concerned about his state of health. As a result, Christopher Reeve made a TV movie remake of Rear Window. It is not as good as the original, obviously, but you do feel quite scraed for Christopher Reeve in certain parts.