Thursday, August 1, 2019

Eyes (and my monthly calendar)



It's the first of the month and we have a new host at Art Journal Journey.  Please welcome Gill of Gibby Frogett Craftations.  Her theme this month is Anything With Eyes.  I thought I was so clever with my first entry until Gill also pointed out that potatoes have eyes!  Talk about feeling deflated!

I call this one Spud!

A bit of humor was in order.  In case you need a translation:
Dear Spud,

I have had my eye on you since you were
unearthed this summer. I want to be
your butterball and go for the gold. We
could do great things together.

Love,
Your little sweet potato
Some of the types of "spuds"

you can buy.

I believe these are Yukon Gold.  I love their nutty taste.  Did you know there were so many

different types of potatoes?

There are the common type, but there are also colorful ones I don't show here, like purple, blue, and red gold.  They sound like an artist's palette, don't they! 

I'm sure we've all seen red potatoes.

Russets are also very familiar to most of us.

In my opinion, they are the classic potato. They are ideal baking potatoes and are also good fried and mashed.  They are the ones I buy.

Many people like red potatoes for boiling and roasting.  Some people prefer them in potato salad, too.

And of course, there is the sweet potato. These are great baked or roasted.

Pick your favorite spud.  They are great in vegan and vegetarian diets.

For this page, I began by cutting out pictures of potatoes from a seed, plant, and gardening catalog.   If you've ever gotten one of these catalogs, you know how thin the paper is.  I decided the best way to adhere the various pictures was to sew them to the black construction paper substrate.  I created the letter to Spud because simply showing a bunch of potatoes on a page made no sense to me.  It also added the touch of whimsy I was going for.

Thanks beyond belief for joining Bleubeard and me today.  I hope you will join Gill, Susi, Bleubeard, and me this month at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by Anything With Eyes, too.  Please be aware, we want to see your altered book pages, journal pages, loose journal art, canvases, fabric pages, and digital art.  However, we cannot accept cards, ATCs, ATCoins, or tags, and will be forced to delete your entry.


I also have my monthly calendar filled in.  It's a rather boring calendar, but mostly, I didn't mention many of the things the children and I did while they were here.

To be honest, I have no idea why I decorated August with these flowers, other than the fact I found this stamp I had never used before.  One nice thing about this calendar is, I've had to learn to stamp.  I'm still not good at it, but, as they say, practice makes perfect (or in my case, a bit better)!

I'll thank you again for stopping by today and sharing part of your day with me.

20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun journal page and have BIG fun filling your calendar. Enjoy the new month, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

I love your first entry - what an inventive idea with potatoes - super!!! And wonderful created with the sewing!
This brings instantly an idea to my mind for a journal entry, but I am not sure to find time enough to put it into practice...
Thank you for all the wonderful work you did and all the fantastic piece you showed last month!!!
You always rock my friend and Co.-Admin. I think now I am more your Co.-Admin and you are my admin!! Lol!
Thank you for all!
I always love to see your wonderful organized everyday life on your calendar pages! You do so well with this!

Happy start of August for you and the boys!
Big hugs,
Susi

Gibby Frogett said...

awww no need to feel deflated Elizabeth...quite the opposite... your 'super spud' page is absolutely 'smashing' - it did make me smile :)
As always, I love your stitchwork and great tip about the thin paper from those seed catalogues. I shall try and remember that as I've ruined pages before with the glue not drying nicely and coming through front.
Your calendars are always inspiring and I may even try stamping out one for next year instead of printing from pc.
Wishing you a fabulous August...
Gill x p.s Why do potaoes make good detectives?..........because they keep their eyes peeled :)

Neet said...

Just shows “great minds think alike” and you both thought outside the box. Knew there were lots of potatoes but where did you find all the photos.
Hugs, Neet xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun journal page. I love sweet potatoes. You had a busy month of July! Enjoy the start of a new month

sheila 77 said...

Well you thought of the potato idea and Gill thought of it too, two artistic minds at work.
We grow different potatoes every year (as well as some same). so this was very interesting to me and to Mr. E,
I love the sweet little letter, it does bring the potato picture into focus.
Good idea about sewing the thin paper on to the card instead of getting into a tangle and tearing with glue.
Oh, I missed Squiggles birthday. Happy Birthday Year, Squiggles.

pearshapedcrafting said...

You made me laugh because my first thought when I saw the title was 'potatoes!!', then got over it and began thinking about whether I should show some of the faces I have drawn! I love the little letter...and I love sweet potatoes - better for diabetics I'm told!! Off to get my page ready for posting! Hugs, Chrisx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Forgot to say, love the stamped flowers for this month and as ever, love how you add such relevant words and pics to your calendar pages xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I like your art journal and calendar page Elizabeth. Very clever about potatoes have eyes.

Sami said...

I was going to say we both had "eye themes", but you have potato eyes :)
Nice one Elizabeth.

Sandra Cox said...

A full to the brim calendar:)
I loved your piece, especially the little sweet potato. Very creative.
YOU have a great one.
Hugs

Caty said...

Fantastic Art page Elizabeth !! Looove these potatoes, and the sweet potatoe is fabulous!! I smile with the "poem", very cute !! Your calendars are really great, and so lovely decorated. and Happy happy belated Birthday to Squiggles!! ♥he is so tender!
I wish you a v ery nice Friday, and send big huugs,
Caty

Rita said...

That page is so funny!
New calendar. Can't believe it's August already. :)

My name is Erika. said...

I don't think anyone can outdo you with the spud page, especially with that poem. It made me smile. And still a clever page. happy August. Hugs-Erika

Susan Kane said...

I love this! I always knew there is a secret life of potatoes.

Meggymay said...

This post made me smile, potatoes with eyes, does make me wonder if those eyes can see. Its a fantastic poem as well.
Yvonne xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Aww I loved that dear spud note hee hee.. so clever and cute Elizabeth.
Another great AJJ theme, i'm hoping to join in a little bit more this month.
I love potatoes of any kind so I was happy to see you had your eye on all these varieties. Last month you were super busy, I do not know where July went.. Happy creative August Hugs Tracey xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Such a fun "eyes" connection!

Jeanie said...

I love little sweet potato's note to the spud! What a fun layout, Elizabeth!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

How funny, Elizabeth! I love your clever takes on the "eyes" theme. Eileen xx