Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Counting counts


This is a scheduled post.  When this goes live, I will (hopefully) be sleeping.  I will link it before I leave in the morning.

I'm back joining Halle at Halle's Hobbies, who is our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is Words to live by.  Earlier this month Trillian shared this same quote.

I already had created the background when I made another journal page that was similar.

I simply had to add the rocking horses as planned.  Then I sewed the quote in place.

The quote, by William Bruce Cameron reads:
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
I sometimes start counting my rocking horses (about 470 now), which include these rubber stamps, and lose count.  Therefore, this quote is absolutely perfect for how I feel about my beloved rocking horses.




For this page, I started with a sheet of 110 lb white card stock. I spritzed some of my handmade shimmering mists on the page.  Once dry, I then used the same stamps on this page I used earlier in the month.  However, I added more of the numbers and several rocking horses.  The quote, sewn to the page using variegated thread, was also spritzed with my handmade shimmering mists.

Thanks for visiting Bleubeard and me today.  We'd love for you to join us at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by Words to live by, too.

I also want to update my flower bed and back yard.  It was the first time I was able to mow the back since the rains started nearly a month ago.

It took two passes

and much of the evening

to mow this.  To say I was wiped out afterward was an understatement.

Needless to say, by the time I was finished, it was too dark to take photos.

These were taken the next morning.  Not sure you can tell, but Mother Nature provided a loud light show overnight, not too long after I finished the back.  I always do the front first, so if it rains, at least it's presentable when people drive or walk by.

It's obvious, my roses need to be dead headed.

Rain and mud

still fill the street with runoff from the "mole hills."

I didn't have time to edge or trim.  I was lucky to get the back finished before the rain pelted down again.

I stopped long enough to take a photo of my favorite plant.  I've had the lavender on the right for three years.  It got ONE small bloom last year.  Nothing more.  Imagine my surprised and glee when I saw the French Lavender I purchased this year on Herb Day was already producing flowers.  I was so happy I almost cried.

The back yard looks a LOT different, doesn't it?  At least the grass isn't nearly waist high anymore.

I moved some of my plants around and got rid of the container that was supposed to hold cilantro.  Unfortunately, it wasn't draining, and held more water than the river (OK, slight exaggeration).

Front to back: berggarten sage, lemon mint, dill,

Left to right: dill (as shown above, too), tricolor sage, sweet marjoram, (in cart) spearmint, and French tarragon.


From left to right, not including cart: fennel, rosemary, orange mint.


You can tell my rosemary took a big hit when I brought it outside.  I just hope it survives.  You can tell the part that gets full sun part of the day.   I usually rotate my plants, but I won't rotate the rosemary for fear I kill it completely.

Thanks for sticking with me while I updated you on my flower bed and herbs, as well as my (FINALLY) mowed back yard!

16 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

glad your got your lawns mowed. have a safe trip

CJ Kennedy said...

Your rocking horse page just makes me smile and I like the quote you paired with it. 540?! That collection wouldn't fit in the Dollhouse. It's amazing how the rains just push the grass into overdrive. How quickly it goes from a lawn to hay field. Your yard looks nice and peaceful. Rest well after all that work. You deserve it.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Your artwork looks lovely. I like the rocking horse stamps and the quote. I didn't realize you'd had so much frequent rain that you couldn't mow the lawn for a month. Ugh. It rained this weekend, so I couldn't cut my lawn as planned, and the forecast for this week is mostly rain, so it might go two weeks before I can cut mine. My lawn mower stalls out when the grass gets too high. Your plants look lovely. I hope the Rosemary makes a come back. What's going on with the mole hills? Hasn't your neighbor paved his driveway yet? Or did he do that, and just left the mole hills in the street?

Sami said...

I like all the rocking horses and the quote in that lovely background.
Have a lovely day Elizabeth.

Halle said...

The quote is perfect with the rocking horses...
J mowed the lawn yesterday and was finally ably to mow the last 5 feet along the fence line. It's been so wet that we've had to skip that part. The other day we had a fawn sleeping in the tall grass...yep it was that tall. :)

My name is Erika. said...

Your gardens are looking fantastic and I understand about rains and grass. Ours often looks like a hayfield since it doesn't get mowed as regularly as it should. But it always looks so nice once it is cut. And I love your page today. It has such a youthful feel and radiates happiness. That may sound like I am being tacky but it is a page that could go into a children's book of poetry. Hope you see some sun and blue skies and lots of darkness to sleep. Hugs-Erika

RO said...

Wow! You really put in a lot of work with your yard and it looks great. I love the smell of lavender too, and congrats on it growing out so well. Yard work and I don't get along at all.(lol) Hugs, RO

Meggymay said...

I love today's page with its beautiful colour sprays and detail. The rocking horse image looks fabulous.
Your garden is looking lovely and you must be so pleased that your herb plants are doing so well.
Have a great day.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I do love the quote, a good reminder about our penchant for keeping track and forgetting what really matters.

I'd be tempted to turn that back yard into a meadow and just not mow again ;) Of course, meadows have their own maintenance requirements lol Lavender isn't my favorite plant, but the bees love it so it's growing on me :) Your lavender plants look good. I guess you have them in pots because you bring them inside in the winter.

I killed off a mint plant by putting it in a pot that didn't drain well *sigh* I now have 5 more holes in the bottom of that pot. I do like your herb edge on your patio, and that wagon is delightful!

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Elizabeth, those are gorgeous photos of your garden!Love the art journaling.
Could you let me have you snail addy, as I have a couple of little gifts I'd like to send you. My email link is in my sidebar. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shazsilverwolf.

Marfi-topia said...

your artwork is awesome! I love how colorful and alive it looks.
I think your yard is looking wonderful. I remember last year, you barely had any rain at all. (it was last year wasn't it?

da tabbies o trout towne said...

this is a really nice piece Elizabeth and the colors really make it POP !!! your garden's looking great; if the neighborhood hares would leave mine alone for a day; it would be great too !! have a safe journey ~~~~~~~~
☺☺♥♥

Jeanie said...

Elizabeth,I hope that wherever you are going it is as colorful and fun as your beautiful piece of art today! And YAY for the lavender! It's so exciting when they survive a winter!

Sharon Madson said...

Good thing you mowed , because last night we got more rain! Like three inches in a couple of hours! And I know you got that much, too! And hail, and flooding! What a year so far! Your yard and plants look nice. Wonderful art, too. I like your rocking horses on there. Kind of really personalizes it

Rike said...

Your background is just amazing, dear Elizabeth - and I love these rocking horses! The sewed quote is perfect!
I enjoyed your photos from your special garden very much!
Wish you a happy day and many Lavender flowers! Rike xx

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

I bet you had fun making this page! I'm trying to recall where you got them and think they were a gift. How perfect. That phrase is quite enigmatic to me. 470! Holy rocking house 😉 Eileen xx