Sunday, June 9, 2019

By the numbers


I'm joining Halle at Halle's Hobbies, who is our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her theme Words to live by.

I'm not sure if this man is counting his dog

as his friend, but I hope he is smiling inwardly at this quote by John Lennon.
Count your age by friends, not years.
Count your life by smiles, not tears.






I began with a sheet of white 110 lb. cardstock that is 8.5 X 11 inches (almost A4, the size used in many other countries).  To create the background, I laid down several of my handmade shimmering mists and allowed them to spread.  After the mists were dry I got out a stamp set I had never used before by EK Success.  They are wood mounted red rubber.  I have had them longer than I can remember and never opened them till now.  I also used one of my favorite stamps by TH.  You can't mess this one up if you try.  It is also wood mounted red rubber.  I used my only black Staz-on solvent ink pad to stamp them.  Next, I got out some TH washi tape and tore it in half, allowing the paper doll man and his dog a resting place on the page.

Thanks for visiting Bleubeard and me today.  Feel free to join me at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by Words to live by, too. 

My friend Chris, a DT member of Try it on Tuesday, suggested I share this with them, since their theme this fortnight is Make a Mark.   I am delighted to share this at TioT, although I didn't see how it fit the theme until Chris suggested it.

25 thoughtful remarks:

aussie aNNie said...

Brilliant post and so love that quote. An amazing spread of colours and interest....I have added mine to Halle's challenge.xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, so colourful, great quote. Have a great day, Valerie

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful artwork and great quote Elizabeth.

kathyinozarks said...

I love this journal page-and perfect quote Happy Sunday Kathy

Barbara said...

The quote is simple but genius as was John Lennon. I love the TH Images, and this one reminds me how much our newly adopted dog makes me smile. We got him a few months ago, and life has been demanding, he’s really a bit wild, but my husband wanted a dog badly so we went for it. I could have gone either way, but now I’m in love with him and he makes me smile so much. Thx for commenting on my papier-mâché bowl in progress. I think it’s a tad ugly right now, but I’ve enjoyed doing it and plan to add color. The round tea bags are from our Trader Joe’s store. It’s “Irish Breakfast Tea” always on their shelves.

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun page. Great colors and I love the image of the chap with his puppy companion.

My name is Erika. said...

Wow, what a fun background. It reminds me of confetti. And I love the images you stamped. The typewriters keys are very cool. I don't have a typewriter alphabet stamp and that might be a nice addition. One of these days. And nice quote. I don't know if I have heard or read that one before. I hope you have a great rest of your weekend! Hugs-Erika

RO said...

John Lennon was definitely on to something with those amazing words of wisdom. Hugs and Happy Sunday to you! RO

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never seen a stamp I couldn't mess up ;) Trust me on that lol

I love your background here :)

Jeanie said...

I love this page, Elizabeth. It's a wonderful quote, too, and I love both the image and the colors you chose.

Mrs.B said...

A great page Elizabeth, the background looks lovely - shame we can't see the shimmer from your mists. I do love the quote you used and in my book his dog is probably one of his best friends so I hope he does count him.
Avril xx

Halle said...

Fantastic!! I love the background...the color splatters are perfectly imperfect. I love the Lennon quote along with the vintage man and dog. Don't you just love putting other peoples words in someone mouth. LOL
So glad you were able to find Words to live by for the challenge!

Meggymay said...

Man and his best friend, its a fabulous page. I love the background colours and the way they blended together.
Yvonne x

Trillian As said...

I love the page and the words you choose.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Here for a catch up but don't know how I will get on as it's getting late! I love this man and his dog and the fabulous background you have made for him! I think this would be perfect for joining us at Try It On Tuesday too for our Making Marks theme! Hugs, Chrisx

Sami said...

Great colours and love the quote. Have a lovely week Elizabeth.

Rike said...

This quote is absolutely great! You made a beautiful background with fine colors and with your stamps you never used before - it's thrilling to use something for the first time, isn't it?! I like the man and his dog too placed on your washi tape pedestal!
Wish you a happy new week! Rike xx

Cath Wilson said...

Super subtle background Elisabeth, in yummy colours. Love those stamps and I'm so pleased you got to use them. Nothing better than virgin stamps in my eyes, lol. It's a great quote :-)
Thank you for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday.
Cath x

Birgit said...

The quote is beautiful and so true especially with the background you created which seems to fit the quote. Love the gentleman and his dog

froebelsternchen said...

Simply GORGEOUS!!! Thank you so much for joining AJJ and TioT at once!!! Big hugs, Susi

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Beautiful background and layout, Elizabeth. The Lennon quote is great. Eileen xx

P.S. I would be able to mess that background up. I still haven't gotten the hang of misting colors.🤔

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful page! I love your background of mists look amazing and the colours are fabulous; you are very skilled not to get a muddy mess like I sometime do 😁. The stamps are gorgeous too, I think I'd use these again and gain - stunning! I agree with Chris, it's a wonderful entry for our make a mark challenge at Try it on Tuesday, thanks so much for joining us! Jo x

Jeannette said...

beautiful page and brilliant quote,i like the men with the dog.
the colors are pretty.


hugs jenny

Caty said...

This is an Amazing Art page Elizabeth !! Really wonderful background, love the colours you have chosen, they are so happy. Love your shimmering mists. This quote is really special, I think the dog counts ♪ ♫ ♪ Beautiful stamps too.
I wish you a very nice Thursday,
Big hugs, Caty

Neet said...

That's a lovely quote and one which I must try to remember. I love how you have portrayed it with that subtle but colourful background. Of course he will count the dog as one of his friends, just like you count Bleubeard as one of yours (and Squiggles).
Hugs, Neet xx