Wednesday, May 8, 2019

DragonFLY


I'm joining Erika, aka Bio Art Gal, our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her themes In the air/In the sky. I think this goes with In the sky, but it's a bit of a toss up.  I'm also joining Try it on Tuesday with their theme this fortnight, Things with wings.  Similarly because I only used one word on my page, I'm also joining Moo-Mania and More, with their fortnightly theme, Just a word.

I hate to admit I have never used this stamp my friend Susi sent me (among a host of other gifts) for my birthday last year.  I am also using VersaMark and black construction paper.

Before I used the stamp, I pounced, pounced, pounced on the black construction paper using my handmade pouncer.

I positioned the stamp so only one row would pick up the embossing powder.

I made a huge mistake, though.  Instead of heat embossing each set as I colored the dragonflies, I decided to wait until all the dragonflies had been colored.   

Each time I turned the paper over to gently tap off the excess embossing powder, I stuck my fingers in some of the dragonfly embossed powder that was already in place.  As a result, I smeared what I had already embossed and made a big mess.  Live and learn, I say. 

It's really evident in the light of my dining room table.

It's also evident in the closeups.



Yes, these dragonflies can FLY, the single word I chose using the creative stickers sent me years ago by my dear friend Cindy.  I began with black construction paper, then added various embossing powders.  After heating the powders, I added the stickers.

Thanks so much for your visit today.  I am always grateful when you drop by.  Bleubeard and I also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey, Try it on Tuesday, and Moo-Mania and More.  However, since I am still removing water from my basement, I will more than likely be late visiting.  Would someone please make this vicious cycle of rain, hail, and tornado warnings stop?

25 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page. Dragonflies are lovely creatures. Hope you soon have your basement dry. Bad weather here, too, and lots of rain about. Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

This is simply AMAZING!!! Wow Elizabeth!!!! Great use of this stamp. I think it would be a good one to stamp on fabric with acrylics as well, that was why I sent it to you as you are using much fabric in your art- but you took much better use of it than I had ever anticipated! A wonderful entry for Art Journal Journey! I am simply in awe of it!
I sent you helpers through my thoughts, I hope they arrived already!
I try to stop the rain for you and send you all the light and sunbeams my heart can give!!!
You are in my thoughts!

Susi

Sami said...

Many pretty dragonflies you made with that stamp Elizabeth.

My name is Erika. said...

I love this Elizabeth. They are happy and colorful! perfect for the latest challenge at Art Journal Journey. HUge thanks for joining in and sharing these fun dragonflies with us. Hope the rain has stopped and the basement isn't too big of a job. Hugs-Erika

Cath Wilson said...

A lovely page, Elisabeth. The smudged EPs only look like fairy dust - you just managed to create a magical background, lol. serendipitous ;-)
Beautiful shades of EP.
Cath x

kathyinozarks said...

I love dragonflies-so I really loved your page-I have not tried out embossing yet-love the effect
Happy Wednesday

Jeanie said...

Definitely up in the air! That's a fun challenge theme. We haven't had the tornado warnings but I so feel you on the rain. The sun is out today and I plan to make the most of it!

CJ Kennedy said...

The dragonflies are so pretty. I love all the sparkly goodness. Hope you're basement woes are drying out.

Divers and Sundry said...

Stamps and I don't get along. Your dragonflies turned out nicely :) I'm sorry your basement is causing problems. We don't tend to see basements much around here. I hope yours dries out soon.

I hope your friend is recovering.

Caty said...

Wwoow, this Art page is really wonderful Elizabeth !! Love love these little embossed dragonflies, their colours are lovely. Great !
I hope your basement will dry very soon, and the rain will stop too.
I want to thank you very much for joining us again at Try it on Tuesday.
I wish you a very nice day,
Big hugs, Caty

Lisca said...

Oh Elizabeth, I feel for you in all that bad weather, and your flooded basement. Here's me, sitting in the sun.... I wish I could help you. Well, I'm sending you positive thoughts and of course I'm praying.
Your dragonflies are gorgeous. What started as a mistake, ended up as beautiful fairy dust.
Happy belated T-Day,
Lisca

froebelsternchen said...

Where are my manners ?! Thank you for joinong us over at Try It On Tuesday and Moo Mania & More as well dear Elizabeth!
Hope you got the basement dry meanwhile my sweetheart!

Birgit said...

Oh, I have stuck my fingers in the embossing parts and made quite the mess. I ended up covering it over but yours looks good to me and adds a bit of the shabby chic look in black. I hope your basement dries up soon. This sucks and means that you might need new weeping tile or maybe the eaves sprouts are too close to the house??

Anonymous said...

Beautiful beautiful dragon fly , the black background really makes them pop, the smudges will just add character 🙂 It's been messy weather all over hasn't it,

Meggymay said...

It is a beautiful page Elizabeth. To me those dragon flies look like they are flying and sparkling in the night sky.
I hope Sally is recovering , it must have been worrying.
I also hope you got your basement flood under your control, I have my fingers crossed you don't get much more heavy weather for a while.
Yvonne xx

Meggymay said...

Oops, for got to thank you for joining us all over at Try it on Tuesdays, your support is always appreciated.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth! I wish I could hold back that rain for you - or come and help! I hardly ever used to heat emboss for the reasons you give here! I have recently started to again but with much more caution! This still looks beautiful though as you butterflies look as though they have magic dust coming from their wings! Thank you so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday!Chrisx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Silly me! As I scrolled back up I saw they were dragonflies but got distracted and didn't change it from butterflies!! Hugsxxx

Rita said...

Cute stamp and like what you did with it. :)

Rosie said...

A wonderful page, Elisabeth.

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

Rosie said...

... and I say also thank you for joining us at

TRY IT ON TUESDAY

Rike said...

I love your dragonflies! Great way to use this stamp with the embossing powder! Yes, live and learn! We all do it!
Wish you a happy Thursday and that rain and tornado warnings stop!
Rike xx

Linda Kunsman said...

what a fun stamp and I love what you did to showcase these dragonflies! The bits of embossing powder around the page only add to the starry night sky in my opinion;) Sorry to hear about another flooding of your basement-what a bummer.
I hope your friend Sally is doing OK and it was nothing serious.
Will miss T day next week but I'll be back after that.

Mrs.B said...

Hi Elizabeth, the Dragonflies look gorgeous in the different colours and the smudged ones look like theu have a sparkly texture.
Hope you got your basement dried out and your weather has improved.
Thanks for sharing at Try it on Tuesday. Avril xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a magical page! The dark background really shows off the sparkly dragonflies beautifully 😁. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! J 😊 x