Saturday, March 30, 2019

Saturday afternoon at the movies


I want to apologize for missing last Saturday's matinee.  I was so gung-ho to catch up on comments to others, I forgot to find a film I would watch at least twice.  I do want to let everyone know, though.  Saturday afternoon at the movies will be on hiatus until April 27 because I will be sharing my 22 days of recycling beginning on the 1st of April.

My internet friends CJ and Kathy are part of this meme where you post your all time favorite films.   I'm not sure I have more than about FOUR favorite films, but I have films I have seen that I can share.  However, unlike CJ, who says the meme cites there is no need to explain why you like the film, I prefer the way my internet friend Birgit reviews films (often hilarious, occasionally irreverent).  Her synopses are not to be missed.

As I've explained the other times I've shared a film, one thing you should know about is my choice of films.  You won't find any "chick flicks" here and any romance is simply a side effect of the major overall film.   Today I'm reviewing Pulp Fiction.

This was Quentin Tarantino's best work to date, when it came out in 1994, but you have to be able to overlook all the swear words in order to appreciate it.  I saw it in a theater with a friend I made at work in Omaha while I was on internship.  It was both written and directed by Tarantino who won an Academy Award for Best Screenplay.  The film was nominated for seven awards, as well as Academy nominations for John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, and Uma Thurman.  Many critics consider it the best film ever written.

It's a convoluted film, shot out of sequence, about two hit men, one burger-loving, the other his philosophical Bible quoting partner.  Insert into the mix a drug-addled gangster's moll and a washed-up boxer.   Soon their lives overlap and converge in this occasionally comedic crime caper.  You may have to watch it more than once to completely understand and appreciate the plot.

Please join us for a Saturday afternoon matinee.  We'd love to see what YOU think is an oldie, but goodie film worthy of showing Saturday afternoon at the movies!


14 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you have a few films you like. I have a very short list of films I like and have watched, some of them twice, but pulp fiction isn't on the list. Have a fun Saturday, the sun is shining, so I'll be walking again. Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

I remember this film but I don't think I ever sat down and watched the entire film.
Happy Saturday

CJ Kennedy said...

This one, not my cup of tea.

My name is Erika. said...

I know the name, but this film doesn't ring a bell with me. I must have seen it, but as I have discovered from other movie blogs, I guess I don't see as many movies ass I thought I did. Happy Saturday. Hugs-Erika

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I've heard about this film but never saw it. But my husband and I have a small selection of favorite films we like so much that we've bought them to watch again and again. One of them is Zorba the Greek. In my opinion one of the greatest films ever made: wonderful photography, incredible acting, and incredible story. Another is the original Dr. Zhivago, with Omar Sharif and Julie Christie. Again, all of the above. And then a downright delightful movie for young people captured us as well: Monkey Trouble. When I was still teaching, I previewed it as a film to show my students when they had earned the reward of a movie. Well, it was a keeper. I showed it every year for about 5 years. You don't need to be a kid for it to tickle your funny bone. It's truly humorous.

froebelsternchen said...

I just have see it once - thank you for pointing it out for me - I will watch it on Netflix tonight - as I am sure that this was one of the most influential films of the 1990s.

Big hugs, Susi

Divers and Sundry said...

Fun film :) I didn't see it when it first came out, and in fact didn't see it 'til 2007. There are so many films I haven't seen it can be hard to re-watch a movie, but this one would definitely be worth re-watching.

Let's Art Journal said...

A film classic and one not to be missed! A great choice for Saturday 😁. Happy weekend! J 😊 x

Meggymay said...

A classic film which I have to admit that I have never seen, Thank you for the review, I liked your comment that it may need watching twice to appreciate the plot. So may be this won't go on my list of films to look out for.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

Can't say it's a favorite but perhaps worth another look...

Lowcarb team member said...

It's not a favourite but it is popular with many.

All the best Jan

Mia said...

I watched Pulp Fiction last week on tv. Maybe it was my 100th time!!! Oh I llllove this film. Hugs, sweetie.

Rita said...

Dark, dark humor. I loved it! :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

I have seen it once but have not ben tempted(yet) to watch it again! Hugs, Chrisx