Sunday, March 3, 2019

Our honeymoon


Today I'm joining Jo from Let's Art Journal who is our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is Hello Springtime.

Before you believe I've gone off and gotten married, please think again.  I am not now, nor have I ever been married.  I almost got married once, but he was killed in a car accident just a month before the "big day."  I've never found anyone else I wanted to marry, so I hope that shows this honeymoon is for these two paper dolls.

This is aptly named Our springtime honeymoon.

The asterisk is for what I was going to originally call this piece,

which is Don't look back.

I have an inane fear of heights, so I want to warn these newlyweds to be careful

they don't fall backward

into the rocks below.

For this page, I began with a sheet of 110 lb cardstock to which I glued an old calendar page and trimmed to size.  I then added little embellishments to the bride's wardrobe by giving her a necklace and matching bracelet, as well as adding to her purse.  I then added the computer generated text I colored using a water soluble crayon.  The asterisk came from a sheet of stickers by Heidi Swapp.

Thank you for joining me today I am very grateful.  And please don't forget to join me at Art Journal Journey with your springtime inspired art, too. 

23 thoughtful remarks:

Sami said...

It's a beautiful page and love the background Elizabeth.
Very sad for the loss of your fiance shortly before your wedding and I can imagine it would be very difficult to find someone after that tragedy.
Have a great Sunday.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, great idea with the couple. Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

This page is so beautiful created and I can imagine how much lovely memories and thoughts and feelings you put in it!
So sad to hear why you never have married.
I am happy you revealed something so personally about yourself here and thank you for this amazing entry for Art Journal Journey my dear Co.- Admin.
The good aspect of staying as a single for one's life is that it can save a lot of troubles! No light without shadow.
Happy Sunday my friend!
Big hugs,
Susi

Cath Wilson said...

Oh, Elisabeth, your story is a real tragedy - I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It must have been devastating and left you reeling and I'm sure it would still have its effects, however long ago it may be.
Your page is delightful. Looks like a great place for a holiday and you've chosen a lovely looking couple. Beautifully designed and great title(s) - both of them - though I suspect the first one would have been more personal.
Bless you.
Cath x

Helen said...

how very very sad! you created a great page though, and i am sure they are well rooted to the spot on the cliffs!

CJ Kennedy said...

Out of your sadness, you created a beautiful vignette for this handsome couple. I like the black and white paper dolls over the colored scenery. Makes me think that even though the couple have passed/will pass, the scenery remains and maybe even carries an echo of the couple who once stood in that place full or love and promise.

Let's Art Journal said...

Oh my, how heartbreaking - sending you hugs! Your page is beautiful, the view is breathtaking and I'm with you about the couple being careful near the cliff edge ...lol 😉. Thanks so much for sharing your story and for your inspirational page for our theme at Art Journal Journey! Happy Weekend! J 😊 x

R's Rue said...

Blessings.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful, well done artwork Elizabeth. And I'm so sorry for the loss of your fiance. That is heartbreaking to hear.

Divers and Sundry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Divers and Sundry said...

What a tragic story :( But what a lovely couple, and I love seeing the "paper dolls" here.

Lenie said...

So sad to hear this Elizabeth. It must have influenced your whole life! And yet you made such a wonderful page. Great! Love, Lenie

Caty said...

This Art page is Gorgeous Elizabeth !! Really wonderful !! But I´m very sad that you lost your love just before the wedding. It may have been difficult to continue after this tragedy, and I admire you, you are a brave woman! We must be strong dear friend, because life is not always easy ! Thank you very much for your very personnel comment.
I like very much the little embellishments you have created, great !
I wish you a very nice new week, and I send you big hugs and kisses.
Take care !
Caty

Meggymay said...

Elizabeth you are a very brave lady, to have lost your loved one just before your wedding must have been a time of great sorrow. Thank you for sharing this with us.
It is a beautiful page, but I think they are a bit close to the edge and I hope they don't step back. The scenery behind the couple looks lovely.
Take care
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

That must have been hard to lose your fiance so close to the wedding. I am glad you could still create and share this great piece of art. I love how you placed this couple into such a beautiful scene. I don't like heights either so they better not take a step back. If I was in the photo I would be many many steps away from that edge. Smile. And I finally checked my mail today and was very excited with a fun package that had arrived! BIG thanks! I think you give me more credit for generosity than I see myself being. I can't wait to use the paper. It came out gorgeous and I love the colors. Smile. Hope you have a great start to the new week. Hugs-Erika

Susan Kane said...

Your creations say so much, without words. Very well done!

Not much else I can say, except you stayed firm and walked forward.

aussie aNNie said...

oh I just love love love this..xx

Rita said...

I love the old fashioned couple. :)

RO said...

I love the thought you put into this beautiful and romantic piece, and it saddens me to hear of the loss of your one true love. I'd like to think that he smiles with joy whenever you create your amazing artwork. I've seen some couples on tv or Instagram that go into some scary places in an effort to get those perfect selfies. Hope your Monday is terrific! I've been battling a cold, and had no energy to get online, but I'm slowly trying to get back into the swing of things, including my massive pileup of work which seemed to grow and grow.(lol) Hugs and Happy Monday! RO

Cindy McMath said...

This is a wonderful page Elizabeth. I love the paper dolls, and the lovely scenery you’ve put them in. Perfect for the springtime theme! And so sorry to hear about your loss.

Jeanie said...

They look like they're having a wonderful time--and are a lot warmer than I am!

It's a lovely page, Elizabeth. o

Thank you for sharing about your past experience. I'm sorry. A loss like that has to stay with a person a long time, maybe a lifetime.

sheila 77 said...

So sad to read your first words, Elizabeth. Sad for you and sad for him.

Your honeymoon picture is rather frightening, they are posed on a very tricky position as, like you, I am not good at heights.
But they are only paper dolls. Sounds like the start of a song.
Nice view of the beach.

Sending lots of love,
Sheila

Words and Pictures said...

A sad tale to start us off, and such drama in your positioning of the Paper Dolls - "don't look back" is definitely good advice, maybe in both cases? Though I'm not one to take that kind of advice... the sorrows we collect are what make us who we are, and I wouldn't change mine.
Alison x