Sunday, March 17, 2019

Happy St. Patrick's Day


Today I'm once again joining Jo from Let's Art Journal who is our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her Hello Springtime theme.  I'm also joining Moo-Mania and More with their Close to Nature theme.

Whether you are Irish or not, today is the day to celebrate wearing of the green. What signifies springtime better than St. Patrick's Day?  The Irish believe you must plant potatoes on this day, so spring has truly arrived.

Whether you are lucky enough to find a four-leaf clover, or are merely finding shamrocks, they are definitely found in nature.

The sentiment, an Irish Proverb:
A good friend is like
a four-leaf clover,
hard to find
and lucky to have.

You'll find three four-leaf clovers

among the many shamrocks.

For this piece, I began by coloring a sheet of 110 lb card stock using Staz-on reinkers (two greens) and 91% Isotropyl alcohol.  I then found shamrocks on the internet and printed 16 on a page using my Photoshop program.  I did the same for the four-leaf clovers.  I colored both pages with watercolors (cheap children's) and cut them until I was blue in the face (or until I could no longer feel my hand).  I can see the advantage to having dies and punches, because this was NOT a labor of love!  I printed the Irish Proverb and colored it using two water soluble crayons.  I began outlining the Ireland information I found in an old encyclopedia using a green pen.  However, I got frustrated and finished using a green stamp pad.

I thought I would show what my front flower bed looks like as of March 16.  The flowers around the rose bush and many in front of the porch are naked ladies or surprise lilies.  The greenery will die back soon, then the Naked Ladies/Surprise Lilies will appear in July.

Also showing their greenery are tulips along the driveway (far left in photo)

and hyacinth near the walkway.  Spring may soon be on its way.

I'm simply delighted you decided to visit today to share St. Patrick's Day.  Please also join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey and Moo-Mania and More, too.  I'd love to see your garden, too.

15 thoughtful remarks:

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely post for St Patricks day and your new plants should be an amazing picture soon..

Valerie-Jael said...

Happy St Patrick's Day, Valerie

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a great page for St Patrick's Day!I can't believe that you persevered with that cutting out - well done for that too! Your garden is showing plenty of promise, the caravan garden took a battering yesterday!I can see a little bit of blue sky today! Happy St Patrick's Day! Hugs, Chrisx

Sami said...

Happy St. Patrick's day Elizabeth and have a lovely Sunday too.

Meggymay said...

Happy St Partick's Day Elizabeth, it is a fabulous page you created to celebrate the day.
Wow to all the fussy cutting you did, the results are well worth your time, those shamrocks look lovely.
When spring gets to you, your garden will look lovely when the flowers bloom.
Have a good Sunday.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

Great page for St. Patrick's Day. I'm not even Irish but using shamrocks or clover or whatever you want to call them is exciting. Love how you used them on your page. And you have no snow and a tad bit of green popping up. Lucky lucky you! Happy Sunday. Hugs-Erika

Caty said...

Woowww I love your St Patricks day page Elizabeth !! It ´s really amazing and I love the so beautiful colours of the shamrocks. The proverb is super, and I want to thank you for the so interesting information about this special day.
I think your front garden will be specially beautiful very soon.
I wish you a very nice day, and send big big hugs,
Caty

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I don't have clover or shamrocks as such on the patio right now but have oxalis in pots inside. I'll be taking the plants outside soon :) The daylily greenery is beginning to grow. So good to see spring coming!

Jeanie said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day! And it's a lovely page -- and lovely green in your garden as well!

CJ Kennedy said...

Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Dhuit! Enjoyed your page and wonderful quote about friendship. Your yard is further along than mine. Hopefully some of the buds will begin sprouting as we're predicted to have warmer weather this week.

froebelsternchen said...

Your St.Patrick's Day page is simply amazing ELizabeth!
Will link it for you! Thank you for joining AJJ and MM& M at once dear Co.-Admin!
Sorry for being a bit late with my visit, was busy this weekend!
Big hugs, Susi

Let's Art Journal said...

A wonderful page and I hope you had a happy St. Patrick's Day too 😁. The green shamrocks look fabulous on your page and I love the tie to spring with the potato planting! Thanks so much for your continual support over at Art Journal Journey! J 😊 x

Birgit said...

What a great St. Patrick's Day page with the clovers and the saying which is very true. Love the background and how I understand the cutting part. The fingers and hand goes numb. I don't think we have anything coming out yet at our end so our garden is just a shade of brown and grey

Rike said...

A beautiful St.Patrick's Day page! Although it was a hard work to cut out all these green four-leave clovers the result is wonderful! And the quote is lovely and so true!

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a nice post for St Patricks day …

All the best Jan