Sunday, February 3, 2019

Yellow journalism


This month our host at Art Journal Journey is Rike of Rike's Art.  Rike wants us to use yellow as the main ingredient in our art.

I call this Yellow Journalism.

So what is yellow journalism?  In the late 1880s, there was an influx of immigrants.  Editors of newspapers in the U.S. were going for greater sales.  Thus yellow journalism was born.  It is an exaggerated, exploitative, sensational style of newspaper reporting.  You may have seen newspapers that exploit it in your check-out lines at your local supermarket.   Who hasn't read something like "baby weighing 43 lbs born to 12 year old virgin!"  OK, that might be a slight exaggeration, but it is a good example of yellow journalism.

Both William Randolph Hearst and Joseph Pulitzer, who ran rival New York newspapers became fiercely competitive over the events during the Spanish-American War.  They chose to exaggerate events, manipulate, fabricate, and often mistreat the truth, all to incite the public and provoke interest in a way that would increase sales of their respective newspapers.

Although the style of writing may have started in the states, and is sometimes referred to as the yellow press, the UK has a similar term called tabloid journalism.

"She only read

yellow journalism."

I make no secret how much I admire the art of Alison Bomber.  On her blog, Words and Pictures, she uses tissue tape to ground her images.  I have no tissue tape, but I have some washi tape that is similar, so I used it to give my lady a place to stand.

For this entry, I began by gluing a page from our local newspaper (given me by my foodie friend Sally).  I don't want or mean to imply this newspaper is involved in yellow journalism, but it is the only one to which I had access.  After it was glued in place to 110 lb cardstock, I colored it using a yellow bingo dabber (so much cheaper than the ones a certain well known company sells).  I printed the computer generated words, then colored them using the same bingo dabber.  I outlined them in purple ink, then added the washi tape and the woman reading her book of yellow journalism.

Thank you so much for spending some of your computer time with me today.  I hope you will join Bleubeard and me this month at Art Journal Journey with your yellow inspired art, too.

BTW, I will only watch the ads during the Superbowl today.  Since each advertiser paid 5 MILLION DOLLARS for a 30 second spot, I can't wait to see what is in store for each commercial.  Personally, I don't really want either team to win. I have my own imaginary game going that involves the Chiefs and the Saints.  There will be no missed calls and no overtime.  If only the outcome of their two semi-final games had been different.

25 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow, that's a LOT of money for an ad! I will look at them on the net. Great page, interesting to know about yellow journaling, although yellow is not a colour I like, tastes are different. Have a fun Sunday, the sun is shining here. Valerie

Cath Wilson said...

You've educated me again, Elisabeth - I'd never heard of yellow journalism, but now I know what it means, lol and your page makes a lot more sense. It's brilliant and yes, the tape does ground the image - great idea from Alison and also from you! Sport isn't my thing at all, but enjoy!

Cath x

RO said...

My apologies for just seeing your email from 4 days ago, and I just responded. Ugh...too much stuff I need to clean out(lol) The first time I heard about Yellow Journalism was when I read a book by Irving Wallace called The Almighty. I was so fascinated that I've read it a couple of times because I couldn't believe how the main character manipulated people and headlines for his own glory. Brilliant book. I love the artwork, and you already know that I believe Washi Tape can be used on anything.(lol) Hugs and Happy Superbowl Sunday! RO

CJ Kennedy said...

I like the prim Miss you chose for your page. I haven't heard the term yellow journalism since school days and almost forgot what it meant. Though the medium has changed from print to airwaves, seems some of the tactics haven't changed in order to cull more ratings.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

What a clever idea for the theme! I'm hoping to enter it this month, but I might make it my art journal page for the month of June in my Book of Days. Yellow makes me thing of bright sunshine and warmth. And summer flowers. On the Super Bowl front, I'm a Jets and Giants fan, so the Patriots are our hated rival. But, since they are the next "local" team for me, I've been rooting for them the past few years. (When it was the Giants vs the Patriots, I was Giants all the way! And what an upset that was, to their "perfect" season where they didn't learn that moral about "don't count your chickens before they hatch.") I didn't realize how expensive the 30 second commercials had gotten. I'll be streaming the game to my TV via an HDMI cable via a CBS Sports link, so I'm not sure if I'll see all of the commercials or not. I hope you and Bleubeard enjoy the commercials. Sorry your teams aren't in it. (Mine aren't either, and rarely are.)

Let's Art Journal said...

What an interesting post! I love how you were inspired by the yellow journalism, so clever and such a wonderfully creative design too 😁. I'm looking forward to joining Rike's fabulous theme soon! I hope you have had a lovely week, we've been busy with a burst water pipe due to the freezing temperatures here, luckily it was in one of our outside buildings and it is all sorted now but it wasn't much fun without the heating in the cold temperatures we've been experiencing ...lol 😉. I had fun watching the birds though and thanks for your lovely comments on my blog! Wishing you a happy weekend! J 😊 x

Words and Pictures said...

Hmmm... well, I think there's probably far too much yellow journalism around these days! But I'll make an exception for your great page. Love the Paper Doll perched on her tape floor, and thank you for the shout out. (I think washi = tissue tape, to be honest... it's just what Tim Holtz calls his washi tape!) And of course I'd be honoured for you to add my blog to your sidebar... feel free! Happy Sunday to you.
Alison x

Divers and Sundry said...

Our "football" is not my sport, so I'll be watching those ads online and avoiding the game itself entirely.

I think outlets like Limbaugh, Alex Jones, and some cable news outlets are the yellow journalism of our day. Newspapers, at least in our neck of the woods, are dying :(

froebelsternchen said...

I'd never heard of yellow journalism - super intersting and a great page for the "Yellow" theme. A great entry my dear Co.-Admin!
Happy rest of Sunday and a good start into the new week!
Hope you could recover from the past strains meanwhile!
Big hugs, Susi

froebelsternchen said...

Enjoy the games!

Rike said...

Very interesting facts about Yellow Journalism! You made a perfect fitting page, even the newspaper itself you colored in yellow and the computer printed words pop up in yellow! Very clever to use washi-tape as ground for the Lady where she can stand on.
I am happy you linked such a stunning page to my theme at AJJ!
Rike xx

By the way I have not intended that yellow should be the main ingredient on the pages, I am also glad when there is only a little spot of yellow :)

Little Artbee said...

Oh Liz what a joke, you created your kind of a Yellow Press page. Such a gorgeous idea. I like that, great design that Vintage Look page.
Dear Greetings
Sabine

Gibby Frogett said...

Fabulous art work Elizabeth and a facinating read too as I'd not heard of yellow press/journalism.
I have given up reading newspapers as it's hard to often know whats true and real and its usually depressing as well.
Enjoy waching your adverts :) and hope you're having a good weekend,
Gill xx

craftytrog said...

A wonderful page, and interesting to read about Yellow Journalism.
I hope you've had a lovely weekend Elizabeth,
Alison xxx

Cindy McMath said...

Wow I love this page! You have made great use of your Washi tape. And I think your exaggerated story isn’t that exaggerated. :)
Catching up on the last couple of posts, I thought your first yellow page was also lovely. It is not a colour I turn to often, so I am really enjoying seeing what you do with it!
Also, your post on your latest fabric dying experiements were amazing for two reasons. First, the fabics turned out so well! They are really lovely and so vibrant. Second, we got to see a rare cameo by the elusive Bleubeard! Always exciting.
Thanks for sending me the link to Jane Davies’ hearts - she is one of my favourite artists and I have watched quite a few of her YouTube videos but hadn’t seen this one!!

Meggymay said...

A fabulous page Elizabeth and I did enjoy reading the background to your creating of the page.
I have to say I gave up reading the newspapers, far to much misrepresentation for my liking. I do listen to the news on TV or radio, but even then turn them off after a while.
It seems an obscene amount to pay for advertising, I hope the commercials are worth watching. The game is even being televised here late tonight, I won't be staying up to watch.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

Well, I love this piece and the background you shared. Very spot on and timely, too!

And I won't be watching the SuperBowl either -- it's Victoria night! My night for all things Brit!

My name is Erika. said...

I've heard of the term yellow journalism. Up here in new England we've always called it tabloid journalism. Maybe it's our "Englishness" since we are New England. But it is a brilliant idea for a AJJ page. (It also sounds like our national leader's idea of what is reported upon all the time.) Anyhow I love your page and how you used some newspaper as a background. Hope it was a good weekend. Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

You weren't far off with your example! LOL!

chrissie said...

This is fantastic Elizabeth and very inventive idea to use the old newspaper colour as a background

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

Sami said...

I had never heard of yellow journalism, so you've taught me something new today Elizabeth.
I think this sort of journalism is still going on as I sometimes read magazine covers that say "hollywood star so & so getting divorced" but the following week the same star is pregnant and super happy!

Crazy spending so much money for ads at the Super Bowl!
I do wonder if they ever recoup that sort of money in their sales?

Neet said...

How I have enjoyed the Superbowl over the past few years with my friends in America (especially the huge party they had) and seeing the excitement at the various ads, most notably the Shire Horses!
Thanks for the lesson on the yellow journalism, something i had never heard of before which is accompanied by your delightful journal page.
I too am a fan of Alison's and must remember the tip about grounding figures next time I use one.
Hugs, Neet xx

Sandra Cox said...

Thank you. I blush to admit, I didn't know what yellow journalism was.
I'm with you on the superbowl. I lost interest when the Bears got beat. The big interest for us was keeping a lookout for our nieces who were working it with their dad, one of the cameramen.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I think I'm losing the plot!! I recall reading this but have no idea why I didn't comment!! I know what yellow journalism is, just didn't know it had a name! Your your lady surely doesn't believe these kind of publications does she!!! Hugs, Chrisx

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

What a clever page, Elizabeth! Only you would think of something like yellow journalism for Rike's theme. Love it! Eileen xx