Thursday, February 21, 2019

Out of Africa


If you have arrived from Try it on Tuesday, and are looking for the tutorial on powders, you will find that post here.

In case you didn't know, this month our host at Art Journal Journey is Rike of Rike's Art.  Rike wants us to use yellow in our art.

I call this Out of Africa


All images come from specific places in Africa you would see if you travel there.

I should never have used a gel pen the same color as the grass background.

Beautiful, stark, and often arid, this land holds a beauty unlike any other.




For this page, I began by using the back side of my We are Family spread.  I have no more black card stock, so used construction paper, which is not light fast, and not acid free.  I used three images from two freebie travel magazines and yellow and gold metallic gel pens.

Thank you so much for your visit today.  I am always grateful when you stop by.  I also hope you will join us this month at Art Journal Journey with your yellow inspired art.  I am slowly trying to catch up with those of you who have created yellow art at AJJ, but I overdid it a bit yesterday, so it is going slower than I anticipated. 

25 thoughtful remarks:

froebelsternchen said...

I love your striking page! Africa - cradle of humanity. YOur collage is wonderful!
Don't overdo - take care and heal !
A wonderful entry for Rike's theme!
Happy day my friend!
Hugs, Susi

Valerie-Jael said...

Africa is indeed a beautiful country. Hope you are feeling better, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

I forgot to mention - don't worry about commenting and other things! Please get well soon!
AJJ March is already scheduled...

Big hugs, Susi

aussie aNNie said...

Wow loving this, full of nature and interest...keep well.x

Sami said...

Hope you're feeling better Elizabeth.
Love the Out of Africa page! When I read the title the film with Meryl Streep came to mind :)
Having been born and raised there, Africa is always in my heart.

Mia said...

Beautiful page, Elizabeth. I love your Africa theme. Kisses, my friend.

Meggymay said...

Its a beautiful collage of African images, the wonderful colours of the scenery look amazing and do make you realise how uninhabited this continent must be.
Don't overdo things, go slowly and get well.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Fabulous yellow page Elizabeth! Take it EASY!!!! Hugs, Chrisx

Rike said...

Another beautiful entry to my theme, thank you so much, dear Elizabeth!
These two giraffes are amazing, what a great photo you used for this page, but also the elephants and the yellow dune are fabulous!
This looks magical - the gel pen and the grass in the same color!
Take care of yourself!
Wish you a happy day! Rike xx
THANK YOU for your nice words on my blog!

CJ Kennedy said...

I think you captured the different facets of Africa beautifully. Don't push yourself. Take care so you can get well.

Caty said...

Wooww Elizabeth !! You are unique with your so Gorgeous collage Art !! I love your page, absolutely wonderful, and love the design. Congratulations !
I hope you are feeling better today, little by little dear friend, it´s very important to rest.
Thank you very much for your so kind comment on my blog, much appreciated.
I wish you a very nice day, and send big hugs,
Caty

Cath Wilson said...

This is such gorgeous scenery, Elisabeth - beautiful nature at its best. They are gorgeous.
I won't tell you to take it easy cos everyone else has, lol... but be kind to yourself.
And yes, of course you may add my blog to your blog roll - I'd be very honoured :-) Thank you so much for asking.
Cath x

Words and Pictures said...

Oh no - so sorry to hear about your pneumonia, that's horrible. I do hope that you are taking good care of . yourself. Imagining yourself amidst those yellow grasses, blue skies and sunshine will help, I should think. What a great take on Rike's yellow challenge theme.
Alison x

Cindy McMath said...

Lovely page! Great use of yellow, and I hope you are feeling better each day. Take care!

craftytrog said...

A wonderful collage of those beautiful images Elizabeth!
I've just heard that my friend's daughter is in hospital with suspected pneumonia, I hope you're feeling much better now.
Alison xx

Jeanie said...

That's a nice topic! Love your giraffes, especially. I Do love giraffes!

Divers and Sundry said...

Beautiful Africa page! I hope you're sitting with your feet up and holding a hot cup of something soothing. It's hard not to overdo.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth: I call this; you did a really great job with this piece !! how awesome would it be to tour this country; though if I saw the "big cats", I'd never want to come back home ;) ☺☺♥♥

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great collage of scenes from Africa. It looks beautiful there.

sheila 77 said...

These are lovely softly coloured photos from Africa. Giraffes and elephants, what could be better, and lovely to see the giraffes close together.
Hope you are feeling better yourself, Elizabeth. Thanks so much for coming over and commenting even when you weren't feeling too good.

My name is Erika. said...

I would love to visit an African NAtional PArk to see the sights and especially the animals, you page really excites me. This is a great page. You found some fantastic photos, I especially like the ones of the giraffes. Hope it's been a good day.I spent the morning catching up on grading so I am a late getting to comment on posts. hugs-Erika

Let's Art Journal said...

Wonderful page! The images transported me to Africa and the giraffes are my favourite 😁. I hope you have had a lovely week! Creative wishes! J 😊 x

sirkkis said...

Love these well made collages. Great compositions and charming colors.
Happy weekend 😃

Rita said...

Love the giraffe picture. Beautiful page. :)

Eileen Bergen said...

Wonderful collage, Elizabeth. I love the photo of the giraffes with necks entwined. Gorgeous animals. When I was 2 or 3, my mother took me to the zoo. When I saw the giraffes, I wouldn't leave and clung to the fence as my mother said we had to go. In my imperfect toddler speak, I cried "I wan' a giraffe. I wan' a giraffe." lol Eileen xx