Saturday, January 26, 2019

Saturday afternoon at the movies


This is a scheduled post.  When I realized I would not be around on Saturday, I decided to create this post based on one my internet friends CJ and occasionally Kathy who are part of this meme where you post your all time favorite films.   However, unlike CJ, who says there is no need to explain why you like the film, I prefer the way my internet friend Birgit reviews films (often hilarious, occasionally irreverent).  Her synopses are not to be missed.

One thing you should know about my choice of films.  You won't find any "chick flicks" here and any romance is simply a side effect of the major overall film.  For this first film, I give you some big names, and science fiction.  I promise to not start with Die Hard.

My friend Scott rented this video that he said he thought I would like.  He was correct.  I loved it.  The film originally came out in 1982 and is loosely based on Phillip K. Dick's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?  It is relevant because this dystopian film is set in Los Angeles in 2019.  It was directed by Ridley Scott.

Harrison Ford plays Rick Deckard in the film.  Deckard is a burnt out Blade Runner, or person who hunts down illegal "replicants," or bioengineered synthetic humans designed to work on off world colonies.  He has been informed that four illegal replicants have returned to earth.  Led by Roy Batty, played by Rutger Hauer, these four illegals return to earth and wreak havoc.

Rachel, played by Sean Young, is the administrative assistant to the CEO of the Tyrell Corporation that created all the replicants.  Even though Deckard takes a long time talking to Rachel, he believes she is also a replicant.  However, she helps Deckard hunt down the four replicants, played by Daryl Hannah, Brion James, Joanna Cassidy, and Hauer who returned to earth to find and destroy their creator. Edward James Olmos played Deckard's supervisor, Gaff. 

In the end, both Deckard and Rachel appear to fall in love and walk away together.

Blade Runner has won numerous awards and has become a cult classic.  It was inducted into the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress because, according to Wikipedia, it is "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

I have no idea where you can find it today, but if you do, I hope you like it as much as I.

16 thoughtful remarks:

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a great movie and any excuse to watch Harrison Ford is good for me ...lol 😉. Happy Saturday! J 😊 x

kathyinozarks said...

I love Harrison Ford but I don't think I have seen this one Hubs loves sci fi so I am sure he has seen it--Happy Saturday

CJ Kennedy said...

Not a Harrison Ford fan though I did like him in Witness.

froebelsternchen said...

It's not my genre - I seldom watch SF.

Happy Saturday my dear Co.-Admin!
Hugs, Susi

Divers and Sundry said...

One of the best films ever, it has held up remarkably well. The tears in the rain monologue is among the saddest in the movies. What did you think of the sequel?

Sharon Madson said...

Well, I do like Harrison Ford! And I have seen this one, but not one of my favorites. It has been on TV just recently, and we watched it, because my husband had not seen it, and he is a Harrison Ford fan, also. Hope you had a nice Saturday, Elizabeth, what ever you are doing.

Meggymay said...

It was a great movie and I do like Harrison Ford films.
Yvonne xx

aussie aNNie said...

Yep your choice of movies are the same as mine, hate romantic stuff or comedy...give me a die hard, science fiction or thriller anytime.x

My name is Erika. said...

I don't think I have seen either Blade Runner film. But I know I haven't seen the remake. I shall have to check it out. Hope all is well. Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

Loved it! The sequel wasn't as good as the original but was still entertaining--and still had Harrison in a smaller part. :)

RO said...

As a pop culture fan, I love my movies, and Blade Runner old and new are definitely faves. I've also been known to watch Raiders of the Lost Art again and again. So glad you enjoyed it, and hope all is well out your way. This morning it's 25 degrees, creeping up to 54 later today, so I got in 10 minutes of outside exercise only today before running back inside(lol) Happy National Chocolate Cake Day! RO

Jeanie said...

I know this is supposed to be one of the great movies of all time -- and granted, I haven't seen it since first released, but I didn't get it then. Maybe it deserves another viewing!

sheila 77 said...

Great concise description of this film. Did you know there were at least one and maybe two alternative endings which I won't describe here. They showed it at our local Filmhouse recently and I would have liked to have seen it again although I have seen it at least two and possibly three times. It's a terrific film.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Not one of my favourites but I do love Harrison Ford! Hugs, Chrisx

chrissie said...

It seems a long time since I saw this film Elizabeth so maybe it is time to watch it again. Pleased that you enjoyed your film time

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

Words and Pictures said...

One of my all-time favourite films - and one of Harrison Ford's finest moments (though he has many). There are a couple of different versions - a director's cut, for instance, where the ending is not quite so rosy. Worth looking out for since you enjoyed it so much.
Alison x